PDA

View Full Version : Any E-6 labs in San Gabriel Valley (So. Cal.)?

MikeH
5-Mar-2010, 08:40
My girlfriend works in Santa Monica, so she took my 4x5 E-6 into A&I there. I've been to their Hollywood location, and, from Glendale, the drive is impossible. It was easier for me, on a Saturday, to drive to their Santa Monica location than to Hollywood!

Are there any labs in the Pasadena - Monrovia - West Covina area that process 4x5? Or the Chino / Riverside are - I'm out there once a week...

Please don't suggest the Samy's to A&I option - I've tried it. Samy's marks up the processing, and it ends up about $6 a sheet when I push (which I usually do).

Thanks for any info.

Mike Hartfield

Mark Woods
5-Mar-2010, 11:36
Mike,

I live in Pasadena and teach at AFI on Western. I use the #2 Fwy to the #5 north (one exit) to Los Feliz. Take Los Feliz to whatever street you want to go west to Highland. For me to get to AFI -- even during rush hour times is about 30 minutes. I can't imagine you getting to Santa Monica more quickly.

Good luck.

MikeH
5-Mar-2010, 14:46
I'm a native Southern Californian and am well aware of the freeways. For me, it is a nightmare to drive into Hollywood, anytime, day or night. I could get to A &I Santa Monica on a Saturday in less time than I could get to Hollywood, with far less stress.

I'd really like to find a lab in the San Gabriel Valley or Pomona area. I tried The Darkroom in Northridge, (I have a client nearby that I see weekly) and might use them, but they have no changing room and their light tables are in full overhead light - when I got home and looked at the 4x5s the exposure looked very different than they did at the lab... and they don't have any framing mats to separate the 4x5 from the table visually. It just doesn't feel to me that they do much large format E-6.

Mike

Mark Woods
5-Mar-2010, 14:57
Mike I'm sorry to hear that. There used to be a lab in the YMCA building here in Pasadena, I just called them and the phone number is disconnected. You might call Art Center. They still shoot film and have get it processed. I think they are the major reason Sammy's is out here.

Good luck.