PDA

View Full Version : lens from KEH comes with retaining ring?

Mike Anderson
2-Mar-2010, 18:32
I'm thinking of buying a lens from KEH, but they don't say whether it comes with a retaining ring, and apparently there's no way to ask questions about individual items anymore. Is it conventional that a lens+shutter comes with a retaining ring?

Anyone have any experience with KEH lenses and retaining rings? I've been through one retaining ring hunt in my short LF career and don't want another.

Thanks,

...Mike

Mike Tobias
2-Mar-2010, 18:36
My general experience with KEH on LF lenses is that it comes with a ring unless it explicitly states otherwise. The only lenses I've ever got from them without rings were those that I already knew were lacking them. At the same time, KEH has an excellent return policy, so it's probably not much trouble if somehow they goof. In 10+ years of dealing with them though, I've only ever had one mistake, which they corrected.

Mike

Kuzano
2-Mar-2010, 18:39
I recalled this post from just a few days ago. This poster considering returning lens to KEH that came with NO ring.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=59464

You may want to check with him and see how he resolved it.

Greg Blank
2-Mar-2010, 19:04
Unless the lens is ancient you most likely can get a retaining ring from the manufacturer or distributer.

I'm thinking of buying a lens from KEH, but they don't say whether it comes with a retaining ring, and apparently there's no way to ask questions about individual items anymore. Is it conventional that a lens+shutter comes with a retaining ring?

Anyone have any experience with KEH lenses and retaining rings? I've been through one retaining ring hunt in my short LF career and don't want another.

Thanks,

...Mike

Heroique
2-Mar-2010, 19:15
My general experience with KEH on LF lenses is that it comes with a ring unless it explicitly states otherwise. [...]

This is indeed the case, but oversights – honest ones – will inevitably happen. It’s a big & busy operation. But KEH has such excellent customer service, and such a liberal return policy, that I’ve never worried about the “gamble” of used equipment from them. Most of my purchases have been in “EX” condition, w/ several in the “BGN,” “EX+” and “LN-” category. (I’ve never tried “UG,” but I’ve always been curious.) In each case, the condition always exceeded my expectation. That is, except once – when I received a filter w/ the incorrect thread size. They refunded me the price, begged me to keep the filter, plus sent the right one. Guess who keeps getting my business! ;)

dalton
2-Mar-2010, 19:17
Every lens I've ever bought from KEH came with a retaining ring.

JRFrench
2-Mar-2010, 19:19
It will come with a ring unless it says otherwise, and if it doesn't and they didn't say, they'll probably send you one straight away.

A friend recently bought a 2nd hand Toyo field from them, and the bellows had pinholes, KEH ordered brand new ones from Toyo and sent them straight to him.

PhiloFarmer
3-Mar-2010, 22:49
I've purchased lens for 35mm, MF and LF from KEH for more than 20-years. Every one of the LF lenses came with a retaining ring. A few did not have caps, even though the description listed them with caps. I find the personnel helpful and friendly, and on the rare occasion when something ran amuck, returns were straight-forward.

Retaining rings are about $10 on eBay, and I have an extra of each size in my kit...just in case one gets dropped, misplaced...or just plain compromised.