PDA

View Full Version : Salt Print.

Keith Tapscott.
1-Mar-2010, 13:28
This is my first salt print and the best of three attempts, so I will need to practice some more.
I found it very enjoyable, so I will try some more soon.
Comments from experienced salt printers welcome as I want to improve.

Vaughn
1-Mar-2010, 13:47
Nice...it is a fun process! Is the contrast where you want it?

I have a three-print project I would like to do (of my triplets -- each one photographed with an 8x10 on X-ray film -- I have the negs, I have the gelatin and salt treated paper...just need to do it!)

My only Salt print, 5x7 (it has some problems in the upper right -- some sort of staining in the paper -- not on the paper). One can see it when backlit.

Vaughn

Keith Tapscott.
1-Mar-2010, 13:55
Nice...it is fun, I need to do more!

My only Salt print:
Thanks Vaughn, that`s a nice image you have there, so I will need to practice a bit more after seeing that. May be I will try doing a cyanotype soon as well.
This alternative-processing malarkey could become addictive. :D

Keith Tapscott.
1-Mar-2010, 13:58
Nice...it is a fun process! Is the contrast where you want it?

VaughnNot quite, it could do with a bit more contrast, but it`s a start.

Lenny Eiger
2-Mar-2010, 09:37
Not quite, it could do with a bit more contrast, but it`s a start.

I wouldn't change a thing. I think it's beautiful... nice job.

Lenny

Keith Tapscott.
2-Mar-2010, 11:17
I wouldn't change a thing. I think it's beautiful... nice job.

LennyThanks Lenny. I did this shot with Sue Janes, a photographer who lives near by who studied salt printing and lith printing at college.
It was a lot of fun to do, so I will probably order some chemicals and papers to have another go soon. It was easier than I thought it would be.

JR Steel
2-Mar-2010, 14:10
Thanks Lenny. I did this shot with Sue Janes, a photographer who lives near by who studied salt printing and lith printing at college.
It was a lot of fun to do, so I will probably order some chemicals and papers to have another go soon. It was easier than I thought it would be.

Wonderful tonal rendition Keith. What paper is this printed on?

Vick Vickery
2-Mar-2010, 14:16
Gotta show my ignorance...been playing with cameras for over 50 years and I've never run into the term "salt print" before! :( What is this lovely process???

Vaughn
2-Mar-2010, 14:34
Very basic description:

"Salt" some paper with salt (by coating or soaking it with solution of gelatin and salt). Allow to dry. Coat paper with diluted solution (10 to 20%) of silver nitrate. Dry, and then contact print with neg under UV light. "Develop" in a 3% salt solution, fix in plain hypo, clear in HCA, wash.

This was one of the very first photo processes.

Robert Hughes
2-Mar-2010, 14:37
William Henry Fox Talbot was an Englishman, a friend of the great scientist Herschel, and one of the first photograpers. He printed using a salt - silver nitrate combination on paper: "...he found that a sheet of fine writing paper, coated with salt and brushed with a solution of silver nitrate, darkened in the sun, and that a second coating of salt impeded further darkening or fading." Later on, after consulting with Herschel, he substituted sodium hyposulfite for the second salting, and improved the longevity of his prints.

csant
2-Mar-2010, 15:04
A lot of info about albumen and salt paper can be found here (http://albumen.conservation-us.org/library/monographs/reilly/).

Keith Tapscott.
3-Mar-2010, 00:48
Wonderful tonal rendition Keith. What paper is this printed on?It was Winsor & Newton, Bockingford water-colour paper. It needs to be sized in a salt solution and dried before coating.

There is a description of salt printing here. http://www.alternativephotography.com/process_saltprints.html

I will point out that there was some gelatin added to the salting solution of my print before coating. I bought my contact printing frame from the Photographers Formulary over in Montana.

Vick Vickery
3-Mar-2010, 09:23
Thanks for the explanation, y'all...very interesting! :)

Lenny Eiger
3-Mar-2010, 11:28
Thanks Lenny. I did this shot with Sue Janes, a photographer who lives near by who studied salt printing and lith printing at college.

Your tag says you're from England. You have such a rich history over there. We've had some hot photographers, Walker Evens, Robert Frank and a pile more. But you've had Sutcliffe, Frederick Evans, Emerson and so many of the members of the Royal, and other Societies in the British isles...

I learned to print from those guys. I used to go to the auctions and hold up these prints a few inches from my face (back in the days when they would let you) and try and understand how they got so much atmosphere and delicacy into a print using albumen and some of the other early processes.

I saw a Sutcliffe recently and it took my breath away... I didn't have $4500 to buy it. Maybe one of these days I'll win the lottery. Our world has gotten so far turned toward the shocking, and hot blacks and hot whites that I think we have lost something - this sense of delicate light. When things are all shock and awe (altho' there is a place for it) we lose subtlety and nuance.

Whether or not you continue in that vein, it's nice to see someone working in the softer tones for a change....

Best,

Lenny

csant
3-Mar-2010, 11:45
Our world has gotten so far turned toward the shocking, and hot blacks and hot whites that I think we have lost something - this sense of delicate light. When things are all shock and awe (altho' there is a place for it) we lose subtlety and nuance.

Whether or not you continue in that vein, it's nice to see someone working in the softer tones for a change....

Those qualities are exactly what draws me personally towards albumen printing - and that is also the exact feeling why I really liked the salt print posted in the first post: indeed it is nice to see somebody work in those soft, subtly nuanced tones. Well done, Keith!

Keith Tapscott.
3-Mar-2010, 12:16
Those qualities are exactly what draws me personally towards albumen printing - and that is also the exact feeling why I really liked the salt print posted in the first post: indeed it is nice to see somebody work in those soft, subtly nuanced tones. Well done, Keith!
Thanks for all the kind comments. As Lenny has mentioned Sutcliffe, I too admire the photographs of Frank Meadow-Sutcliffe and it would be nice to know the emulsion formulae he used to coat his glass-plate negatives and photo-papers with, just to get away from the look of modern films and materials once in a while. There is a certain beauty in looking at those old photographs.

http://www.sutcliffe-gallery.co.uk/

David de Gruyl
3-Mar-2010, 12:56
Just to be sure I am understanding: salt prints and albumen prints are essentially the same thing: salt is laid down (either in the paper, in a gelatin sizing, or in an albumen emulsion) and then sensitized with silver nitrate (which makes this a printing out paper) and fixed with hypo, then washed.

So, other than the egg whites, is there really any difference chemically? How about esthetically?

csant
3-Mar-2010, 15:54
You pointed out the difference correctly. Chemically there is no substantial difference. Of course this gives a very different look, and the glossy surface the albumen could achieve was liked a lot better than the matte "plain" salted paper - and albumen quickly became THE way of printing. The Albumen & Salted Paper Book I linked to above also gives a nice historical overview.

Pete Watkins
4-Mar-2010, 04:10
Looking at the work of FM Sutcliffe was one of the reasons that I took up LF. Looking at the dates though I doubt if he ever used the Wet Plate process. I've certainly never read anything that would indicate that he did.
Pete.