PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 45N-2 features REVEALED

esmuz
27-Feb-2010, 05:23
Hi guys, yesterday received an email from Hugo regarding the new 45N-2
this is the info:

The long wait is almost over and the expected shipping date of 45n-2 is March 25th and I will start to accept payments next week.

Here are a few changes made on 045n-2:

1) The first batch of 45N-2 will have teak wood with gray or black metal. The later batches will have maple wood.
2) Middle bed sliding mechanism changed from sliding track to ball bearing track and focus adjusting rod changed to smaller diameter stainless steel. This increases rigidity of the camera and the accuracy and ease of focusing. It has a nicer feel too.
3) Add tracks to rear group sliding mechanism to further increase the accuracy and ease of focusing.
4) Redesigned rear standard swinging.
5) Improved opening of front standard to accept all standard Linhoff lens boards.
6) Improved bellows locking tabs with the front standard to avoid any rubbing of bellows when the camera is folded.
7) The Fresnel lens will be installed on top of ground glass to prevent possible focus shift.
8) The 45N-2 will come with universal bellows.
9) The 45N-2 camera will add about 100 grams of weight to 45N-1 camera due to theses changes.

I have no pictures at the moment as they are not ready yet. The 45n-2 is $860 and the EMS shipping is $65.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,
Hugo

Sunds pretty well.. he told me also that there is a protective glass over the fresnel, so I asume itīs like a sandwich? screen + fresnel + protective glass. I am a little bit worried about the fact that this combination cuold become dimmer than the 45N-1 screen.

What do you think about those new features?

GPS
27-Feb-2010, 05:58
Sunds pretty well.. he told me also that there is a protective glass over the fresnel, so I asume itīs like a sandwich? screen + fresnel + protective glass. I am a little bit worried about the fact that this combination cuold become dimmer than the 45N-1 screen.

Why do you think it could be dimmer? Because of the protective glass??

kev curry
27-Feb-2010, 06:11
7) The Fresnel lens will be installed on top of ground glass to prevent possible focus shift.

Eureka... it took them a long time to finally work that one out:rolleyes:

ultimatte
27-Feb-2010, 06:20
Hi!

Does anybody know if there is another, cheaper reflex viewer that works as fine with the Chamonix 45n-X as the original one?!

Thanks,
Daniel

esmuz
27-Feb-2010, 06:38
Why do you think it could be dimmer? Because of the protective glass??

Yeah.. but now I realize a protective glass is translucent, itīs not like a frosted screen isnīt it?

olwick
27-Feb-2010, 07:44
This sounds great!

Jack Dahlgren
27-Feb-2010, 09:33
Yeah.. but now I realize a protective glass is translucent, itīs not like a frosted screen isnīt it?

They might do it differently, but I'd imagine that it would ground glass with the ground glass surface located exactly at the film plane then the fresnel on top of that, then a protective transparent cover sheet. Any other way wouldn't make much sense.

GPS
27-Feb-2010, 10:09

Exactly.

GPS
27-Feb-2010, 10:14
Eureka... it took them a long time to finally work that one out:rolleyes:

Exactly. So maybe all the fuss about it was finally good for something...:rolleyes: Shame it took them so long...

raizans
27-Feb-2010, 18:58
i wish they made an all black camera, like the original phillips compact ii. anyhow, this news surely trumps anything that was announced at pma, lol!

Eric James
27-Feb-2010, 19:53
i wish they made an all black camera, like the original phillips compact ii. anyhow, this news surely trumps anything that was announced at pma, lol!

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=41865&highlight=black+chamonix

and

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=38907&highlight=black+chamonix

raizans
27-Feb-2010, 20:22
nice...didn't know they had that.

Vlad Soare
1-Mar-2010, 05:19
There already are all-black Chamonixes, and there have been for quite some time, but strangely they are not mentioned on their website. I wonder why. :confused:
I'm sure the black version would sell pretty well if it were better promoted. It does look great.

Ulrich Drolshagen
1-Mar-2010, 05:39

I wish they'd make a replacement groundglass holder for the N45-1. Or do they expect us to dump our cameras and buy the new one?

Ulrich

uniB
1-Mar-2010, 06:47
Just got my Paypal invoice from Hugo for my 45N-2: $860 for the camera; $41 for a folding viewer (these are great for setting up the shot, really like mine on my 45N-1 and it's easier to get off than the standard protector); $38 Paypal fees and $65 shipping. Leaving a $1003 hole in my pocket!

Oh well, looking forward to seeing the new features and I'll make sure I get a blog done as soon as possible about the comparison between the 2 Mk1 and Mk2

Steve Hamley
1-Mar-2010, 09:00
I wish they'd make a replacement groundglass holder for the N45-1. Or do they expect us to dump our cameras and buy the new one?

Ulrich

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the GG holder. The fresnel was on the wrong side of the GG.

Cheers, Steve

Ulrich Drolshagen
1-Mar-2010, 09:10
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the GG holder. The fresnel was on the wrong side of the GG.

Cheers, Steve

But it is designed that way. You can not swap them easily.

Ulrich

Steve Hamley
1-Mar-2010, 09:43
Ulrich,

I guess it depends on what "easy" means; at least a couple of people did swap theirs out and posted directions. But it is frustrating when something doesn't work like it's supposed to work.

The easy fixes are to just remove the fresnel, have Chamonix modify yours, remove the Chamonix fresnel and replace the GG with an Ebony or Maxwell fresnel and cover glass. The Ebony fresnel is not that expensive, about $80 US I think.

Cheers, Steve

Alex Wei
1-Mar-2010, 11:03
There already are all-black Chamonixes, and there have been for quite some time, but strangely they are not mentioned on their website. I wonder why. :confused:
I'm sure the black version would sell pretty well if it were better promoted. It does look great.

The black ones are custom made. I am sure you can order any of their camera black if you want to.

Kirk Gittings
1-Mar-2010, 11:08
A friend of mine had one and it was beautiful (almost as beautiful as my Phillips!)

kev curry
1-Mar-2010, 11:22
I've got a black Chamonix, its very nice.

raizans
2-Mar-2010, 00:37
A friend of mine had one and it was beautiful (almost as beautiful as my Phillips!)

that's right, rub it in real good.

oh, i rue the day dick phillips closed up shop. i wonder if he'll sell me the plans...yeah, that would be awesome.

Frank Petronio
2-Mar-2010, 05:25
Having the fresnel on the viewer side makes a lot of sense for everybody, they should make it removable like the Sinar version, then you can choose whether or not to use it.

Vlad Soare
2-Mar-2010, 05:44
they should make it removable like the Sinar version, then you can choose whether or not to use it.
It is. All it takes is two minutes and a small screwdriver. The Fresnel lens and ground glass sit in their own separate grooves, independent of each other. :)

Larry Gebhardt
2-Mar-2010, 09:07
I wonder if they will sell the parts to upgrade the older cameras. I've fixed my fresnel issue. But the redesigned track would be nice with longer lenses.

shadowleaves
3-Mar-2010, 14:58
Just ask Hugo. Right now they are recalling 045n1 cameras in China to address the fresnel issue, providing several solutions for users to choose. I guess the recall will soon be announced for worldwide customers as well.

Ulrich

esmuz
24-Mar-2010, 07:49
45n-2 pictures added to the site
http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/45.html

Itīs hard to know what they are about.

Vlad Soare
24-Mar-2010, 07:59
Well, the pictures clearly show that the back swing mechanism is different, and that the Fresnel lens is mounted on top of the ground glass. That's what can be inferred from the pictures even without reading the text.
Oh, and a track mounted alongside the rear slide mechanism is noticeable, although I would have missed it if it hadn't been mentioned in the text.
I like the color of the wood.

esmuz
24-Mar-2010, 08:07
There are some nylon parts bellow the knobs also, probably to prevent marks in the rails and allow a softer sliding..
How was the 45N-1 back swing mechanism?

What are the red and green marks at the front?

Vlad Soare
25-Mar-2010, 00:37
How was the 45N-1 back swing mechanism?
45n-1 has the back swing combined with the rear slide mechanism. The slide moves not only forwards and backwards, but also sideways.
The difference is obvious if you compare the first 45n-1 picture (first picture in the third row) to the one directly above it.

I don't know what those red and green marks are. The 45n-1 doesn't have them.

shadowleaves
25-Mar-2010, 11:52
45n-1 has the back swing combined with the rear slide mechanism. The slide moves not only forwards and backwards, but also sideways.
The difference is obvious if you compare the first 45n-1 picture (first picture in the third row) to the one directly above it.

I don't know what those red and green marks are. The 45n-1 doesn't have them.

those "red and green marks" are housings of ball bearing mechanisms to improve focusing smoothness.

Matus Kalisky
26-Mar-2010, 13:46
So will this new Chamonix be able to use the Fujinon C 450mm on a flat board?

shadowleaves
26-Mar-2010, 16:19

the ability to use the 450/12.5 C lens with the optional extension rack hasn't changed since 045n1. Bellow extension is about 490mm with the rack. Both the stock and universal bellow can deal with the required extension.

neoro
26-Mar-2010, 21:08
mine just reached 15mins ago!!
very excited...

Now now... where did I put my Canon G10 to capture some official opening scenes :P

GuillaumeCo
27-Mar-2010, 15:25
some pics of the new 045n2 are available on the chamonix website

pocketfulladoubles
30-Mar-2010, 17:25

Full extension on the 45-N1, my 450C focused to about (didn't measure, just an estimate) 8-feet. I recall the shot, so I'll go measure it if you are interested.

Beetle
29-Jun-2010, 00:45
Hello,

This is my first post here! I've been lurking around for quite some time now, but it's time for me to post. :)

I would like to know the dimensions of the ground glass/Fresnel lens/glass cover of the 45n-2.

The reason for asking this is that I have a fantastic Beattie 4x5 Intenscreen on my Speed Graphic that I would like to put on the 45n-2, if possible, so knowing the dimensions of the ground glass would help me know whether this will fit. If the screen on the Speed Graphic is too big for the 45n-2, this is fine, I will just grind it to the proper dimensions.

Thanks a lot in advance.

stevebrot
29-Jun-2010, 10:52
Hello,

This is my first post here! I've been lurking around for quite some time now, but it's time for me to post. :)

I would like to know the dimensions of the ground glass/Fresnel lens/glass cover of the 45n-2.

The reason for asking this is that I have a fantastic Beattie 4x5 Intenscreen on my Speed Graphic that I would like to put on the 45n-2, if possible, so knowing the dimensions of the ground glass would help me know whether this will fit. If the screen on the Speed Graphic is too big for the 45n-2, this is fine, I will just grind it to the proper dimensions.

Thanks a lot in advance.

The ground glass frame opening on my 45n-2 is 101x128mm.

Steve

Beetle
30-Jun-2010, 03:33
The ground glass frame opening on my 45n-2 is 101x128mm.

Steve

Thanks a lot Steve. :)

Curt
30-Jun-2010, 17:44
Hi guys, yesterday received an email from Hugo regarding the new 45N-2
this is the info:

The long wait is almost over and the expected shipping date of 45n-2 is March 25th and I will start to accept payments next week.

Here are a few changes made on 045n-2:

1) The first batch of 45N-2 will have teak wood with gray or black metal. The later batches will have maple wood.
2) Middle bed sliding mechanism changed from sliding track to ball bearing track and focus adjusting rod changed to smaller diameter stainless steel. This increases rigidity of the camera and the accuracy and ease of focusing. It has a nicer feel too.
3) Add tracks to rear group sliding mechanism to further increase the accuracy and ease of focusing.
4) Redesigned rear standard swinging.
5) Improved opening of front standard to accept all standard Linhoff lens boards.
6) Improved bellows locking tabs with the front standard to avoid any rubbing of bellows when the camera is folded.
8) The 45N-2 will come with universal bellows.
9) The 45N-2 camera will add about 100 grams of weight to 45N-1 camera due to theses changes.

I have no pictures at the moment as they are not ready yet. The 45n-2 is $860 and the EMS shipping is $65.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,
Hugo

I'm not sure I understand this new feature, can anyone explain what it is and what it does? Thanks

stevebrot
30-Jun-2010, 20:28

I'm not sure I understand this new feature, can anyone explain what it is and what it does? Thanks

They added rails to constrain the fore-aft movement of the rear standard. They are visible here:

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/_images/045N2003.jpg

and here:

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/_images/045N2002.jpg

On the Chamonix, adjusting infinity focus is part of zero'ing the camera. This is done by adjusting the fore-aft position of the rear standard. On the previous version, the back was free to swing (and potentially jam) when the rear standard was loosened for adjustment. On the current version the tracks keep things true.

Compare the above to this image of the 045N-1:

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/_images/45a.JPG

Steve

Curt
30-Jun-2010, 21:33
Thanks I see the rail inside the rear slider, is there still rear swing, doesn't it lock the rear for a forward/backward movement? Or is the track only on one side? They make beautiful cameras. Are the 11X14 cameras the same as this model for the rear rail?

Curt

stevebrot
1-Jul-2010, 11:08
Thanks I see the rail inside the rear slider, is there still rear swing, doesn't it lock the rear for a forward/backward movement? Or is the track only on one side? They make beautiful cameras. Are the 11X14 cameras the same as this model for the rear rail?

Curt

There is still rear swing. There are two levers at the base of the rear standard that allow for generous movement when loosened. Truing the camera up afterward is a bit of a chore, but that is another matter. As for the 11x14...I don't have a clue. You might want to ping Hugo Zang (hugoz_2000@yahoo.com) about that.

Steve

Curt
2-Jul-2010, 20:05
There is still rear swing. There are two levers at the base of the rear standard that allow for generous movement when loosened. Truing the camera up afterward is a bit of a chore, but that is another matter. As for the 11x14...I don't have a clue. You might want to ping Hugo Zang (hugoz_2000@yahoo.com) about that.

Steve

Thanks very much for the information.

Curt