PDA

View Full Version : Darlot cleaning up

ederphoto
26-Feb-2010, 16:27
Well, i bought the lens.Came with an 8x10 Wet plate portrait camera and a 8x10 wet plate holder .The image on the ground glass is what convinced me to buy it.Now is time for some cleaning up .The rear elements come out really easy ,now the front ones are hard .Are they suppose to come out as easy as the rear elements ?I'm strong guy, i know if put some muscle power i can twist this whole thing like a towel but i just want it intact for now .Nice triplet on the back and they are also signed .Any body in need of a 8x10 wet plate camera and holder ? It also cover 11x14 like a piece of cake !

ic-racer
26-Feb-2010, 16:36
I won't recommend anything :) but I have removed stubborn lens rings by heating the lens.

GSX4
26-Feb-2010, 17:08
I'd be interested in the 8x10 wet plate camera AND holder if its available? I'd be interested in pictures. As for removing the lenses... It's a Darlot, but not sure which type. For a petzval type of which I have several made by Darlot, the rear lenses are airspaced, and the front is a cemented pair. Heat can be a problem on Balsam and it to be avoided unless you know what you are doing. We need to know the lens design type to be sure.

ederphoto
26-Feb-2010, 17:18
This is the lens :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20410993@N04/4391153762/sizes/o/

ederphoto
26-Feb-2010, 20:19
This is the lens after some elbow grease mixed with the pleasure to bring this lens back to it's heyday .And i'm not done yet .I'm not sure if i'm gonna keep it for very long .Will be better in the hands of someone who is really gonna use it .My wife will not allow anything in the house that's not shining ...

goamules
26-Feb-2010, 20:24
Congratulations! You got a Darlot actually originally made for camera use, and it looks like a large one too.

fuegocito
27-Feb-2010, 10:41
congratulation, how did you ever manage to get it so shinny:)

Rob

This is the lens after some elbow grease mixed with the pleasure to bring this lens back to it's heyday .And i'm not done yet .I'm not sure if i'm gonna keep it for very long .Will be better in the hands of someone who is really gonna use it .My wife will not allow anything in the house that's not shining ...

Joshua Dunn
27-Feb-2010, 11:37
Goamules,

I have to ask, are you saying that this Darlot was intended for use on a camera (rather than a projector) based on the fact that it can take water house stops? Is that uncommon? I ask because I have a much smaller Darlot that takes water house stops. I guess I assumed that they all did.

ederphoto
27-Feb-2010, 12:03
A few hours of hard work ! Just kidding. It was easy, i've been doing this professionally
for the past 14 years and that's how i make my living .And this is only with half of the work done .

goamules
27-Feb-2010, 16:55
Hi Joshua, see the other post for ways to differentiate. But basically no magic lantern lens needed or had waterhouse slots. Very early Jamin Darlot lenses may not have slots. Most later camera lenses did.