PDA

View Full Version : Ilford HP5+ 400 Developed in Edwal FG7

Chiron
25-Feb-2010, 21:22
Hello,

I'm processing 5/ 4x5 Sheet Film in Jobo 3010 Drum with Unicolor reverse directional motor base using Edwal FG7.
I plan to use a total volume of 500 mL.
Edwal recommends starting with 1:15, HP5+ Sheet ISO 320 development for 13 minutes. I think that's for tray development?

Has anyone worked with this film/developer? What was your time, method and results?

Thanks so much,
Paul

Andrew O'Neill
25-Feb-2010, 22:05
I know the film quite well as I've been using it for about 15 years. I've used it in many different developers, but never Edwal FG7. You could be right about the 13 minutes being for tray development, but I'm not certain. ISO 320 might not give you enough meat in your shadows, whereas 250 might... or 200... you'll have to test. So, expose a few sheets at different ISO's, dilute your developer at the recommended dilution and develop for recommended time and go from there.

Chiron
25-Feb-2010, 22:20
Andrew, thanks for the feedback. You mentioned you have used other developers with the HP5+, which of these developers do you prefer that gives you the best tonal range?
I'm still on the fence using Edwal with HP5+. I have seen good results with Tri-X 400.
I shot a about ten sheets this morning and feel a bit eager to see the results. But I should test first. Paul

Gem Singer
26-Feb-2010, 08:48
With Ilford HP-5+, you can't go wrong with Ilford DD-X developer.

I now use Photographer's Formulary Pyrocat-HD in glycol. However, I develop by dip-and-dunk, with minimal agitation.

Both of these developers would probably give excellent results with HP-5+ and rotary development.

Andrew O'Neill
26-Feb-2010, 09:50
I prefer to mix my own developers, but Xtol 1+1, D-76 1+1 work wonders with this film. My favourite developer with HP5 is Pyrocat-HD (formulated by Sandy King), a staining developer.