PDA

View Full Version : Lens cleaning (Help, please)

Capitan Krayola
24-Feb-2010, 19:50
I am looking to restore some old Schneider lenses that need to be cleaned on the inside. I was hoping someone could recommend a good and reliable place to send them to be cleaned, cause they're too sensitive for me to screw them up. Thanks!

lenser
24-Feb-2010, 19:59
Carol Miller at Flutotscamerarepair.com. Fantastic work ethic and quality service.

HMG
24-Feb-2010, 20:00
Paul Ebel (paulebel44@yahoo.com) and Carol Flutot Miller (carolmiller@flutotscamerarepair.com) both have exc reputations.

Capitan Krayola
24-Feb-2010, 20:07
Thank you guys very much. I'll try and contact them as soon as possible.

Steve Hamley
25-Feb-2010, 09:21
Glass or shutter? I know Carol doesn't do glass, unsure about Paul. S.K. Grimes will do either.

Cheers, Steve

Brian Ellis
25-Feb-2010, 09:26
What's the problem with them? If it's fungus you can try just setting them out in the sun for a day or so (assuming you have any sunny days wherever you live).

Capitan Krayola
26-Feb-2010, 20:05
Yeah, I contacted Carol but she told that she doesn't clean them inside, she was very helpful though and referred me to focal point lens in Colorado. Anyway the problem is fungus. Is it really safe and effective to leave it in the sun??? By the way I'm from Puerto Rico so we have VERY good sunlight. Thanks guys.

Brian Ellis
26-Feb-2010, 21:14
Yeah, I contacted Carol but she told that she doesn't clean them inside, she was very helpful though and referred me to focal point lens in Colorado. Anyway the problem is fungus. Is it really safe and effective to leave it in the sun??? By the way I'm from Puerto Rico so we have VERY good sunlight. Thanks guys.

Leaving a lens in the sun to eliminate fungus was suggested by a guy who ran a camera and lens repair shop and who spoke at the Michael Smith/Paula Chamlee workshop I attended some years ago. I've never tried it myself but I don't see that it would do any harm, assuming you don't bake the lens. Seems worth a try since it costs nothing.

Capitan Krayola
26-Feb-2010, 21:16
Well I'll give it a go. Thanks for the help. Hope it works.

Steven Tribe
27-Feb-2010, 02:53
The sun trick (UV light) only kills the living fungus. It doesn't remove the signs of a fungus attack or damage done to the surface.

Bernard Kaye
27-Feb-2010, 15:02
Steven Tribe is right: the sooner you do it, the better; rotate & flip lens elements out of shutter frequently and do not let a hot spot develop and stay on a flammable surface. Focal point in Colorado is excellent; your fungus damage may or may not affect quality but you should kill fungus that is alive, now, and isolate lenses and shutters from each other and your other gear. Expose all "sides" of shutters, diphragm open and closed, without glass to sunlight.
Bernie

CarstenW
27-Feb-2010, 15:08
For how long does one need to expose the contaminated surfaces?

lilmsmaggie
27-Feb-2010, 15:43
The sun trick (UV light) only kills the living fungus. It doesn't remove the signs of a fungus attack or damage done to the surface.

Carsten,

Steve is right. You still need to address the underlying cause of the fungi.
I would say a minimum 2-3 days exposure to sunlight for the live funji.

Speaking of which, there are different species of fungus and spores. Ultraviolet irridation has been known to produce mutants resembling certain naturally occurring fungi. So leaving the lenses and shutter in the sun could just make things worse.
But that's an assumption on my part. I have heard that in some instances even after removing the fungus by cleaning, it returns.

Best bet, go for the whole enchilada - have them cleaned by a professional.

CarstenW
27-Feb-2010, 16:05
That's what I have wanted to do, but it is hard to find a professional around here with a good reputation. I have two leads, both from the same helpful member here, but the one company didn't even answer my questions directly, but just asked me to send the lens in, and I am having trouble finding any estimates for the procedure from anyone. The lens is not worth that much, but I like it, and would have it done even if the total cost (including purchase price and cleaning) would exceed the value of the lens, but I don't want the price to go nuts either.

In summary, I am still hemming and hawing until I can find a rock-solid, highly regarded outfit in western Europe which will give me a reasonable estimate, and a price which isn't in outer orbit.

lilmsmaggie
27-Feb-2010, 16:22
In summary, I am still hemming and hawing until I can find a rock-solid, highly regarded outfit in western Europe which will give me a reasonable estimate, and a price which isn't in outer orbit.

Check with Lars Vinberg from Stockholm. Maybe he knows someone.