PDA

View Full Version : Horseman Press magazine loading question

buzzardkid
24-Feb-2010, 15:40
Hi,

I'm the happy owner of a Horseman 970 with a 6x9 Press magazine. Every time when loading it, I wonder how far to advance the film before closing it. As a result I guess, but inconsistent. Sometimes some of the shots end up on the backing paper...:o

What's the rule of thumb here?

Anybody got a similar rule for loading a Graflok 23 Graphic? This is my other back, and suffering from similar troubles...

Thanks up front for your answers, most appreciated!

Sevo
24-Feb-2010, 15:47
IIRC it has side marks next to the film path near the taking spool, which are to be aligned with the START mark on the leader, quite like on Mamiya and Graflex backs. All these marks tend to rub off or fill with dirt - try to locate them in bright light and clean or repaint them...

buzzardkid
24-Feb-2010, 15:57
Nope... no markings.

The Press magazine has a hole in the pressure plate, through it you can see the backing paper prints, since film is wound inside out. But, what mark should show in the hole when closing the back?

This is the type of magazine I mean:
http://www.therangefinder.com/ebay/_MG_9930.jpg

http://www.therangefinder.com/ebay/_MG_9932.jpg

Sevo
24-Feb-2010, 16:00
On peep-hole holders, you do not need any start alignment (other than short enough not to overrun the first mark) - simply thread the paper into the spool slot, give it a turn or two for safety, close the back and wind until the peep-hole shows 1.

Oren Grad
24-Feb-2010, 16:03
On the late-model Horseman rollholders, you advance the film until you see an arrow in the hole. I imagine the earlier ones should be the same.

buzzardkid
24-Feb-2010, 16:12
On the late-model Horseman rollholders, you advance the film until you see an arrow in the hole. I imagine the earlier ones should be the same.

Right. I'll give that a try for initial consistency. Thing is, the frame counter displays 'S' until you set it in motion and my question essentially was directed to the best moment to engage the frame counter.

So, procedure would be:

roll up to the arrow,
close the back,
engage the frame counter, and
wind on until it displays '1'

Does this sound familiar to anyone as a proper procedure?

I will be looking out for a second magazine, the Press magazine is much larger and heavier than a '23' Graphic back, but also easier to wind (and to load?:rolleyes: )

Most appreciated!

Oren Grad
24-Feb-2010, 16:15
So, procedure would be:

* roll up to the arrow,
* close the back,
* engage the frame counter, and
* wind on until it displays '1'

Yes, that's right.

buzzardkid
24-Feb-2010, 16:19
Sounds fine. If it checks out, I might create a little pictorial on loading a Horseman Press magazine and put it up on my website.

Thanks Oren, most appreciated! I have an outdoor model shoot scheduled for Friday, and feel more confident about that last shot on each roll now.

Oren Grad
24-Feb-2010, 17:24
No problem, good luck! It's many years ago now, but when I first got a Horseman rollholder I messed up the spacing on a couple of rolls before I figured it out. Sometimes things that should be obvious aren't, until they are. If you know what I mean... ;)