PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix Users Group

lilmsmaggie
24-Feb-2010, 13:40
I was wondering if there are any experienced LF Chamonix owners out there that think it might be beneficial in forming a centralized Chamonix Users Group (any format size, from 4x5 to ULF), or section here on the site. :)

Kind of a centralized section that is centered around Chamonix cameras, discussions, accessories, problems, etc.

Of course there will be other topics of interest that are no Chamonix specific, but a one-stop place on the site where the noob and the experienced Chamonix owner can come would facilitate and optimize searching and consolidate information on topics of interest related to these cameras.

I suppose there would be those that disagree but it makes sense to me :D

Songyun
24-Feb-2010, 14:21
User group is a good idea, I can contribute some information that I have. I don't think having a section here is a good idea though.

lilmsmaggie
24-Feb-2010, 15:24
User group is a good idea, I can contribute some information that I have. I don't think having a section here is a good idea though.

Songyun, but that's the whole idea. There must be hundreds of Chamonix owners that can contribute information, tips, lessons learned, etc. Why not consolidate it; make it easier to search, contribute, share ...

If not here then a separate forum?? Please explain. :confused: you can send me a PM if you rather not discuss openly.

Songyun
24-Feb-2010, 15:33
Songyun, but that's the whole idea. There must be hundreds of Chamonix owners that can contribute information, tips, lessons learned, etc. Why not consolidate it; make it easier to search, contribute, share ...

If not here then a separate forum?? Please explain. :confused: you can send me a PM if you rather not discuss openly.

If there is a sub section here for chamonix today, then tomorrow there will be sub section for let's say Schneider, Arca Swiss, ebony... that just doesn't sound right. I would say a google group/mail list, or something like that would be more apporiate.

lilmsmaggie
24-Feb-2010, 16:22
If there is a sub section here for chamonix today, then tomorrow there will be sub section for let's say Schneider, Arca Swiss, ebony... that just doesn't sound right. I would say a google group/mail list, or something like that would be more apporiate.

I suppose you're right. A goggle or yahoo group might be a better venue. Speaking of google, I ran a google search and came up with a Facebook Chamonix Camera Users Group. I'm not exactly a fan of social networking sites such as facebook and Twitter even though I have an account with Facebook but something is better than nothing.

Send me a PM -- lets kick it around. I belong to two Yahoo Groups (Stellarvue, and Canon DSLR Astrophotography).

BarryS
24-Feb-2010, 16:27
I'd be happy to join an outside group if you set one up. Posting here about Chamonix cameras is problematic due to the lack of moderation for persistent disruptive trolling.

lilmsmaggie
24-Feb-2010, 17:18
Heck - I'm game. Give me a day or two. I'm more familiar with Yahoo Groups, but setup on Google should be similar.

Do you think others would be interested?

Songyun
24-Feb-2010, 17:26
Heck - I'm game. Give me a day or two. I'm more familiar with Yahoo Groups, but setup on Google should be similar.

Do you think others would be interested?

I have just set up a google group.

http://groups.google.com/group/ChamonixCameras

:D

BarryS
24-Feb-2010, 17:26
Probably yes. I know there are a number of forum members that don't bother posting here anymore because of the trolling.

Sal Santamaura
24-Feb-2010, 17:57
...I know there are a number of forum members that don't bother posting here anymore because of the trolling.Too bad. I suggest they not be bullied and we all make good use of the "Ignore List" capability. Shun the trolls! :)

lilmsmaggie
24-Feb-2010, 18:41
I have just set up a google group.

http://groups.google.com/group/ChamonixCameras

:D

Coolio! :D I just submitted my membership request.

BarryS
24-Feb-2010, 18:56
Too bad. I suggest they not be bullied and we all make good use of the "Ignore List" capability. Shun the trolls! :)

Shun! Shun! :) Sal--you're absolutely right and that's what I do, but some members can't help but be drawn in and they respond to (and quote) the troll, and the thread takes a dive into the bad place.

Songyun
24-Feb-2010, 19:25
Coolio! :D I just submitted my membership request.

Just make sure post some photos, when your new camera arrives. :D

lilmsmaggie
24-Feb-2010, 22:28
Just make sure post some photos, when your new camera arrives. :D

May be awhile but I think I can manage that. The first batch of 45n-2's are Teak but I think the factory is also trying to fill orders for 45n-1's. I'll have to wait a bit longer for my camera to arrive.

John Bowen
25-Feb-2010, 05:26
I would recommend you think twice about forming a seperate group. For the record I don't own a Chaminoix. But, I do own a 7x17 camera. Were there a Ritter camera group, I might have asked my questions there, but most questions don't revolve around the camera, they revolve around ULF photography. I've received help from owners of many different 7x17 cameras. Questions concerned developing film, storing negatives, storage boxes for negatives and mounted prints, etc., etc., etc. We 7x17 owners have shared resources and formed buying groups.

In my humble opinion, about the only things that would be unique to Chaminoix would be accessories and problems. With the Chaminoix being a copy of the Phillips cameras you may want to utilize the experience and knowledge Phillips owners could share.....

We LF users share a special bond facilitated by this forum. I believe the solid advice received here more than out weighs the occasional troll. YMMV

Either way, good luck and enjoy your new camera.

lilmsmaggie
25-Feb-2010, 06:55
I would recommend you think twice about forming a seperate group. For the record I don't own a Chaminoix.

What's the real issue you have with user groups? Why the caution? Do you have something against user groups?

Do you have something against the formation of different forums as well?

Do you caution Nikon owners from forming a Nikon usersgroup? With all due respect to you, you are entitled to your opinion, but your caution is inappropriate.

BTW - Facebook has a Chamonix Users group. So the idea was neither the first to appear on this forum, or unique with repect to forming a UG. They have at least 15 members and they seem to be growing.

SW Rick
25-Feb-2010, 08:56
What's the real issue you have with user groups? Why the caution? Do you have something against user groups?

Do you caution Nikon owners from forming a Nikon usersgroup? With all due respect to you, you are entitled to your opinion, but your caution is inappropriate.

BTW - Facebook has a Chamonix Users group. So the idea was neither the first to appear on this forum, or unique with repect to forming a UG. They have at least 15 members and they seem to be growing.

I didn't see the post in the way you do, and think it makes a good point about the wider "user" group available in something like this forum. There are going to be a lot fewer resources available in a Chamonix-specific group. Will there be a Sandy King, a Ken Lee, and many other fine LFPF members available there?

The presence of a few very prolific trolls here, who have seized Chamonix-related topics and generated a lot of unnecessary heat, has turned me off to following a post here that is Chamonix-related. Even with the trolls' comments turned off, the responses and counter-responses to their posts turn the "conversation" into unpleasant territory. I thus see the Chamonix group as being a place where very Chamonix-specific posts could be discussed, but think the big tent of LFPF makes sense for most posts.

evan clarke
25-Feb-2010, 09:10
I didn't see the post in the way you do, and think it makes a good point about the wider "user" group available in something like this forum. There are going to be a lot fewer resources available in a Chamonix-specific group. Will there be a Sandy King, a Ken Lee, and many other fine LFPF members available there?

The presence of a few very prolific trolls here, who have seized Chamonix-related topics and generated a lot of unnecessary heat, has turned me off to following a post here that is Chamonix-related. Even with the trolls' comments turned off, the responses and counter-responses to their posts turn the "conversation" into unpleasant territory. I thus see the Chamonix group as being a place where very Chamonix-specific posts could be discussed, but think the big tent of LFPF makes sense for most posts.

You may be referring to my thread pointing to what I thought was an unusual amount of used cameras being sold. I was trying to get some answers before spend the $$ on an 11x14, I didn't get much good feedback but bought the camera anyway. It is perfect..Evan Clarke

John Bowen
25-Feb-2010, 09:23

My, did we get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning???

If you search back a few years ago, one would have thought the LF forum had become the Chaminoix users group :eek:

I thought my post was very clear... I'm not trying to pick a fight.

Have a nice day....you troll! :rolleyes:

Kirk Gittings
25-Feb-2010, 09:48
The presence of a few very prolific trolls here, who have seized Chamonix-related topics and generated a lot of unnecessary heat

Could someone PM me and tell me what this is about? Going back over Chamonix threads, I frankly have no idea what you are referring to. Examples?

kev curry
25-Feb-2010, 10:08
Sorry but I think a Chamonix specific forum is as harebrained an idea as ever there was one! Once the focusing issue gets beaten to death again and again and the mutual appreciation society runs out of steam what will all '10' of you talk about then? Carbon fiber? Wood types? What then? Photography?

Think I'd chose some other hill to run up!

A happy Chamonix owner:)

BarryS
25-Feb-2010, 11:53
What then? Photography?
:eek:

Songyun
25-Feb-2010, 13:30
easy, easy, guys. I like the idea of a google group, basically it's like a mailing list. You don't have to spend as much time as here, not something that as part of your daily routine (like here) and feel really miserable when the server is down. :D Damn, I am addicted to this site now.

lilmsmaggie
25-Feb-2010, 14:28
My, did we get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning???

If you search back a few years ago, one would have thought the LF forum had become the Chaminoix users group :eek:

I thought my post was very clear... I'm not trying to pick a fight.

Have a nice day....you troll! :rolleyes:

No I didn't but it sounds like you did. :p

Maybe you should try spelling the name of the camera correctly. I consider non-Chamonix camera owners who make derogatory remarks more indicative of possesing and exhibiting Troll-like behavior and habits, than those of us who don't own the camera but have expressed an interest in AND have actually ordered one.

I was neither attempting to pick a fight, I was asking a valid question as to your views against the formation of a users group. But if its a fight you want, then I suggest you troll somewhere else.

lilmsmaggie
25-Feb-2010, 14:42
I didn't see the post in the way you do, and think it makes a good point about the wider "user" group available in something like this forum. There are going to be a lot fewer resources available in a Chamonix-specific group. Will there be a Sandy King, a Ken Lee, and many other fine LFPF members available there?.

One never knows - does one. I wouldn't go as far as saying there would be fewer resources. That assumption is stretching it a bit.

My original suggestion was to have a sub-group on LFPF. It doesn't necessarily have to be called "Chamonix Users Group," it could just be Chamonix cameras. Many popular photography forums have sub-groups dedicated to a particular camera, or format, e.g. APUG, Photo.Net, getdpi.com, etc. John Bowen's insinuation that I was a "troll" was uncalled for and un-necessary especially in light of the fact that he admits to not being a Chamonix owner, nor can he even spell the name of the camera correctly -- so who's really the troll here? I may be a noob, but I try to remain a respectful noob until someone resorts to personal insults and attacks.