PDA

View Full Version : Focusing the Enlarger

tgtaylor
24-Feb-2010, 13:02
Here's an elementary question?

When you put the empty negative carrier in the enlarger and bring the projected light to the size of the paper that you will be using, do you focus the projected edge of the carrier until it is sharp, fuzzy, or does it matter?

Sevo
24-Feb-2010, 13:18
Do you want to make the best possible picture of the negative carrier or of the film?

jeroldharter
24-Feb-2010, 14:47
You should put the negative in the carrier and then adjust the image to the desired size before fine focusing.

If you are contact printing with an enlarger light source, then I would focus on the edge of the carrier - I believe that results in more even illumination of the baseboard.

If, for whatever reason, you are just trying to get the lightsource in the rough position for the next enlargement, then focus on the edge of the carrier because that is a rough approximation of the film plane that you will use for fine focusing.

ic-racer
24-Feb-2010, 14:51
Yes, as Seveo wrote. So if you composed the way you described and then put your negative in there, you could now have a different projected size. Because your image size changes when you re-focus on the negative. So, I find it best to do composing and sizing with a negative in the carrier and re-focus on the negative after each move of the enlarger head (unless you are blessed with autofocus ).

tgtaylor
24-Feb-2010, 17:48
The reason I asked is because a few years ago I say a darkroom instructor instruct his pupil to raise the enlarger (condenser type) to the appriximate height for enlargement of the paper and to then use the focus to make the edge of the carrier sharp. Then put the negative in and focus as usual.

Does it matter?

jeroldharter
24-Feb-2010, 18:50
No, it does not matter.

tgtaylor
24-Feb-2010, 19:59
No, it does not matter.

That's what I thought.

Thanks, everyone,, for your replies!

lenser
24-Feb-2010, 20:05
One additional thought. If you are using a focusing magnifier of any sort, take a piece of your normal enlarging paper (normal thickness) and tape or glue it to the underside of the base of the magnifier. That way you will actually be focusing on the same plane as the emulsion of your printing paper instead of behind it as you would be if placing your magnifier directly on the easel without the "shim".

tgtaylor
24-Feb-2010, 20:14
Thanks lenser.

I always focus on the back of an old print or waste page of the same paper. Originally I didn't but started after I read AA's The Print.