PDA

View Full Version : where to get lens retainer rings/jam nut

Adam King
24-Feb-2010, 08:36
Greetings. Sorry if this question has been asked before.
I just got a new (old) lens from KEH, and it didn't come with a nut to attach it to a lens board. For the life of me, I cannot locate one anywhere.
Any ideas?

Len Middleton
24-Feb-2010, 08:54
Adam,

You might want to provide a little more information...

Is the lens mounted in a shutter, or in a barrel?

If it is in a shutter, they would likely be a standard size for the make (Compur, Copal, Prontor, Wollensak, etc.) and size (0, 1, 2?, 3, etc.).

A barrel is a different matter unless it is a common barrel (e.g. barrels from G-Clarons), rather than a custom one for a lens that was built in relatively small numbers.

You might want to approach KEH, unless they listed it as being without the retaining ring. If they have one they might be able to supply it.

I was missing a couple of retaining rings for common barrel lenses I have (Apo-Ronar, Apo-Nikkor), and purchased them from someone I knew who purchased and sold a lot of LF equipment (thanks again Andrew!!).

You might be able to purchase them from the national distributor of the lens, if the company is still in the manufacturining business. The one for my 600 f9 Apo-Ronar CL was going to be just over $100.

Alternately, you could have one made by SK Grimes, or a camera repair / machining shop, or local machine shop.

Hope that is helpful to you,

Len

Steve Goldstein
24-Feb-2010, 10:15
S.K. Grimes offer a wide range of rings and flanges as stock items, perhaps they have what you need.

http://www.skgrimes.com/adapter/index.htm

Adam King
24-Feb-2010, 21:17
Thanks for the replies, fellas.
It's a seiko b shutter I believe. I will look at it again. KEH did not list the lack of retaining ring. Also, there is damage to the filter threading which was not listed on the website. I may just return it, as I am within 14 days.
-Adam

Kuzano
24-Feb-2010, 23:29
It would take a lot more than spending some time trying to find a jam nut for me to return a lens, if:

1) The shutter works smoothly and seems to be running close to "on time"
2) The glass is clean with minimal defect other than polishing marks
3) The lens is optically clear with no fungus
4) The lens was a focal length I wanted and did not have a close other choice.
5) The price paid for the lens was a good value relative to condition.

If all of these were present, I would hunt for the jam nut more diligently and only from people who service shutters, as in SK Grimes or similar.

Filter threads can be fixed, again by either buying an inexpensive filter straightening tool from Micro-Tool.com or visiting almost any camera service person with the lens.

Returning a potentially good lens just starts the whole search over again, with the possibility of just getting another lens with other, and possibly bigger, problems.

How are the lens optics and shutter operation?

I say all this as a veteran of the "elusive search for the perfect large format lens that has no issues, AND is dirt cheap" wars. There really is no such thing.

Either buy new, or pay a bit much for a documentable good lens, and then send it in to a well known service shop for a very good CLA service. Those are the options that pan out and don't have you chasing your tail for "good deals".

Then reckon all that with the fact that some very questionable lenses and shutters have produced some stellar images. Go figure.

RickV
25-Feb-2010, 02:41
Adam,

I've bought a lot from this crowd and have not been disappointed yet. Great to deal with. To acquire flanges for my barrel and projection lenses, I measured the deepest part of the thread with a vernier caliper and sourced the matching inside diameter listed (because most people measure the top of the tooth. All have been a perfect fit but I suppose I have been fortunate that the pitch matched.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/Karla-Schmidt-Collectibles__W0QQ_sidZ1596483?_nkw=lens+flange&submit=Search

Cheers,

Rick

Mike Anderson
25-Feb-2010, 10:22
Thanks for the replies, fellas.
It's a seiko b shutter I believe. I will look at it again. KEH did not list the lack of retaining ring. Also, there is damage to the filter threading which was not listed on the website. I may just return it, as I am within 14 days.
-Adam

It took me about a week to find a #00 retaining ring on ebay - daily search for "#00 retaining ring". Paying $35 for one from SK Grimes was too much for me, and I found one for $25 shipped (still a lot for a threaded ring). Your cost and hassle for finding a retaining ring, plus the fact that the filter thread is damaged...I'd return it or see if KEH would somehow compensate you for these issues (free lens board?).

...Mike