PDA

View Full Version : Using 35mm in large format holder

Robert Kalman
23-Feb-2010, 17:27
The European photographer Arnoud Bakker has published an exquisite book of photos entitled, Atropa bella donna.
In one series of photos, Bakker has stretched 35mm film across a large format film holder. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this technique, and how, specifically, the film is inserted into the holder.

Nathan Potter
23-Feb-2010, 17:35
Hmmm, interesting but kinda gimmicky. I suppose the strips could be taped onto the plenum. I'd have to think about how the multiple images were selectively exposed.
Maybe someone here is familiar with the details.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Tim Meisburger
23-Feb-2010, 18:01
Okay. I'm guessing here. He cut the film in four inch strips and inserted one or several strips into several holders (the natural curvature of 35mm would allow that). Then he shot the nudes. If he had filled the holder with strips, then perhaps he shot normally, keeping in mind the need for verticals, then developed and selected those strips that had a pleasing image (he may have shot 100 to get those six).

Alternatively, he could have used one strip at a time, shoved it all the way to the end of the holder, and known, more or less, where to frame the image on the ground glass.

When he had the strips he liked, he could then have laid them out for contact printing or scanning.

Or, the whole thing could be fake, photo shopped.

Just my guesses...

Tim Meisburger
23-Feb-2010, 18:05
Actually, it could not have been scanned or contact printed, as there is no visible overlap of negatives, so it was either a collage made of prints (or digital images) or photoshopped.

Now I am arguing with myself...

Jack Dahlgren
23-Feb-2010, 18:56
Looks like they were shot one at a time - you could just tape the strips in a holder if you needed to. As Tim points out they are certainly composited later digitally because nothing is showing through the sprocket holes. I've seen people feed 35mm through medium format cameras so they get image over the entire width of the film and this is pretty much the same thing.

Robert Hughes
24-Feb-2010, 08:22
More boobs per frame! How could you complain about this? :p

But haven't we all made 35mm contact prints like this - or stuck a strip of 35mm into a 4x5 holder? Maybe not with the gorgeous models, but ...