PDA

View Full Version : Fuji Acros Development Time?

languidcrane
21-Feb-2010, 10:08
Hello,

I am new to the site and to large format photography. Over the next few days I will be processing my first 4x5 negatives in a Jobo 2521 tank with the hand roller base. Currently I have Ilford Perceptol and Agfa Rodinal developers at hand. People on this site and others seem to like both of these developers for Acros, but is one better for the development method I am using. I am also having trouble finding times for the developers, especially in regards to their dilutions. I have found information on the 120 roll film times, but not 4x5 sheet film times. Can I use the 120 film times? I need to add I made all the rated all the exposures at iso 64, with the intention of cutting back about 20% on development time. I know much of what I learn will be trial and error, and finding what works best for me and my shooting style - i guess I am just looking for sound advise to get started in the right direction. Helpful criticism and comments greatly appreciated.

John

Anders_62
21-Feb-2010, 11:03
Hello John
Fuji Acros 100 is a wonderful film. I use with Paterson FX-39, for me that´s a perfect combination. You get the best out of the film with invisible grain and great shadows. I use tray dev. 6,5 min 20° C 1+9 dilution and agitation 10 s/min. It works great for me.

Anders

Per Madsen
21-Feb-2010, 12:28
I can recommend Rodinal 1 + 100 and and 18 minutes at 20 degres Celcius.

Agitation every 30 seconds in a HP Colorplan tank.

languidcrane
21-Feb-2010, 14:38
Hello John
Fuji Acros 100 is a wonderful film. I use with Paterson FX-39, for me that´s a perfect combination. You get the best out of the film with invisible grain and great shadows. I use tray dev. 6,5 min 20° C 1+9 dilution and agitation 10 s/min. It works great for me.

Anders

Anders thanks for the advice. I am located in the USA, and as far as I know dont have easy access to patterson chemistry. Have taken note of the tray processing recommendation though.

languidcrane
21-Feb-2010, 14:43
I can recommend Rodinal 1 + 100 and and 18 minutes at 20 degres Celcius.

Agitation every 30 seconds in a HP Colorplan tank.

Am i safe to assume that dilution will work in the jobo tank as well? I am going to try the jobo tank first since it is available in my university darkroom. If the results are unsatisfactory I will move to a different method.

Sergei Antonov
21-Feb-2010, 20:48
John,

I was using Perceptol 1:3 for Acros 4x5 sheets in Jobo, I got the idea of this from Barry Thornton book. I rated film at 64 ISO. My time was 13 min at 20C and I did 5 min presoak. I also like Acros in Rodinal 1:50, but in my opinion Rodinal is better with intermittent agitation, so it will not shine in Jobo. Perceptol produces very nice negatives -- I scan them. If you decide to go with diluted Perceptol, make sure you have enough developer in tank, I am using about 500 ml of this 1:3 solution for a roll film, i.e. 125ml per 4x5 sheet.

Good luck,
Sergei

languidcrane
21-Feb-2010, 22:35
John,

I was using Perceptol 1:3 for Acros 4x5 sheets in Jobo, I got the idea of this from Barry Thornton book. I rated film at 64 ISO. My time was 13 min at 20C and I did 5 min presoak. I also like Acros in Rodinal 1:50, but in my opinion Rodinal is better with intermittent agitation, so it will not shine in Jobo. Perceptol produces very nice negatives -- I scan them. If you decide to go with diluted Perceptol, make sure you have enough developer in tank, I am using about 500 ml of this 1:3 solution for a roll film, i.e. 125ml per 4x5 sheet.

Good luck,
Sergei

Thank you Sergei - just the info I was looking for. I will start with perceptol in the Jobo tank at 1:3 dilution. I will try Rodinal with tray development a little further down the road for a comparison...

Dirk Rösler
21-Feb-2010, 23:54
I use Rodinal 1+50 for 8:30 in a Jobo, very happy with the results.

Chiron
24-Feb-2010, 00:56
I have been looking over some of the specs at:
Digitaltruth Massive Dev Chart:
http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php
p