PDA

View Full Version : TXP 320asa in roll format ended

Allen in Montreal
20-Feb-2010, 17:34
I just read this on John Sexton's newsletter. Forgive me if it has been mentioned here already.
I have always used TXP in my roll back, but I guess I am moving to TX.
Not the end of the world I suppose, but I was just getting the hang of the new TXP, has anyone moved to to TX already? Any big process changes?

KODAK DISCONTINUES TRI-X PROFESSIONAL FILM IN 120 and 220 SIZES

On February 5 Kodak announced it is discontinuing Kodak Professional Tri-X film in both 120 and 220 roll film sizes. This is the EI 320 Professional Tri-X film, which has an emulsion almost identical to the Professional Tri-X 120 film. Kodak will continue to offer EI 400 Tri-X Pan film in 120 size (they have not offered EI 400 Tri-X Pan film in 220 size for many years).

Roger Vadim
21-Feb-2010, 03:15
I just loved this film in my hot-light studio and think this demise is truly sad!

TX is a total different beast then TXP concerning skin tones and had a certain "softness" in gradation. (maybe because it was more linear then TX). I might switch to TMX. anybody got some advise for an alternative?

I wonder if there are not too many portraitists around here, so that death of this film didn't create to much of a stir?

well, I am sad and annoyed, Kodak... did it again. What's next?

John Bowen
21-Feb-2010, 04:02
It's not too late to stock up. Take a look at www.uniquephoto.com they show both 120 and 220 in stock. Most other places are sold out.

I am not affiliated with Unique Photo, only a happy customer.

Allen in Montreal
21-Feb-2010, 15:43
Roger, I have not tried the TX in the 120 roll version, the Kodak announcement made it sound like it was excatly the same film. :(

They say the demand for TXP in roll format has fallen. Has it fallen even more than it would have thanks to their tinkering with the formula a few years back?

I guess it is time to fill the freezer with a few blocks of the stuff.

I just loved this film in my hot-light studio and think this demise is truly sad!

TX is a total different beast then TXP concerning skin tones and had a certain "softness" in gradation. (maybe because it was more linear then TX). I might switch to TMX. anybody got some advise for an alternative?

I wonder if there are not too many portraitists around here, so that death of this film didn't create to much of a stir?

well, I am sad and annoyed, Kodak... did it again. What's next?

Renato Tonelli
21-Feb-2010, 16:23
I've ordered a few bricks; I like the convenience of 220 when I'm using the 6x12 back and it's also the emulsion that I've tested.
Too bad - I don't see any other B&W emulsions in 220.

renes
24-Feb-2010, 04:45
I've ordered 100 rolls, have in fridge 50. Hope they still have them.

John Bowen
24-Feb-2010, 18:00
Ordered 80 rolls of 220 Sunday and received them today...

Allen in Montreal
25-Feb-2010, 19:19
I went in to pick up my first block of 25 rolls today,
I sat there at the counter thinking to myself, why am I buying up Kodak's old crap stock?
This is not the TXP we grew up on and fell in love with!
This the new (2007) relaunched version of TXP,
I cancelled the rest the order.

Kodak wins, it is now T-max or nothing, their long time wish has come true.

I have already shifted to HP5 in 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 as a replacement to TXP,
and so it will go for 35mm and 120 too.

:(

RIP TXP.

John Kasaian
25-Feb-2010, 22:49
I am shooting more HP-5+ in 8x10 as well. There is no word about what will happen to TXP in 4x5 or other sheet formats, but I'll keep having good thoughts.

Herb Cunningham
27-Feb-2010, 09:57
It always seems like the accountants are running the world. Let something get a tad out of the mainstream and Kodak quits it. I would like to know who to get in touch with at Kodak to see about Tmax in 220. I shoot a pentax 67, and a Fuji 690, and it is really sweet to have 220 film in the field rather than chase dropped spools all over the woods/creeks etc.

I will try Photo Engineeer Ron to see if he knows.

mikebarger
27-Feb-2010, 11:35
Herb

I haven't seen any numbers, what is "a tad out of the mainstream"? Have you seen something comparing 09 with 04 sales, anything like that?

Thanks, just would be interesting seeing numbers if someone has them.

Mike