PDA

View Full Version : Film Packs - How did they work?

Renato Tonelli
19-Feb-2010, 09:48
(If this belongs in the Lounge, please move it; wasn't sure where to post).

I have never seen a film pack. From the little that I know about them, I wish they were still around: they sound very convenient.

What did they look like?
How did they work?
How many sheets did they hold?

Inquiring minds want to know...

venchka
19-Feb-2010, 11:33
From what little I recall:

20 sheets of film. Not sheet film like we have today. More like 120 film in 4x5 with a paper leader on it.
A container similar to Polaroid or Fuji 10 sheet packs.
Load the pack into a holder with darkslide. Pull the darkslide. Expose. Push the darkslide. Pull paper tab. Top sheet of film travels in a U-shape path to the back of the stack. New sheet on top. Continue.

Mark Sampson
19-Feb-2010, 12:02
There were 16 sheets in a pack; it was an metal box that fit inside a Graflex Film Pack Adapter, a slightly larger box that went where your normal film holder goes. The whole thing was about as thick as 1-1/2 regular holders, so the savings in weight and bulk was considerable. The film was indeed on 120 base, for flexibility, and was about 1/4" larger in length and width. It was meant for news photographers and wedding shooters, all of whom had long gone to smaller formats by 1992, when Kodak discontinued the last emulsion offered, TXP 320. At least I had the chance to use it for a few years- I miss it.

Bill_1856
19-Feb-2010, 12:49
For most of their lifetime, film packs had 12 exposures on what was essentially roll film base. Apparently near the end Kodak started using an even thinner estar base from their microfilm which allowed them to crowd in 16 exposures. I don't recall they ever had 20 exposures.
I DO miss 'em!

Kirk Gittings
19-Feb-2010, 17:35
I miss them too. They were my standard film holder for about 20 years. I carried one for normal development, one for -1, +1 etc. They were the bomb.

Greg Blank
19-Feb-2010, 18:27
Ha- I still have film in my NPC back :(

I miss them too. They were my standard film holder for about 20 years. I carried one for normal development, one for -1, +1 etc. They were the bomb.

venchka
19-Feb-2010, 22:32
No doubt I was wrong about the capacity. My CRS must be acting up.