PDA

View Full Version : Advice on 5x7 Graflex holders?

Mike Tobias
19-Feb-2010, 00:21
So having recently acquired a 5x7 "Compact" Graflex, I have come upon a dilemma. It came with one film holder, and I (remembering that I had piles of 5x7 filmholders), didn't worry about finding more. However, once I got it, I realized that it takes only the 5x7 holders with the groove on the side. I've looked for other 5x7 holders with the groove, but they seem to be as rare as hens teeth. Measuring the one holder that I have, I've realized that I can probably modify the regular 5x7 holders that I have to fit on the camera, by simply adding a couple of rails to the sides of each. However, I also realized that with a very simple modification to the back mount of the camera itself I could make regular holders fit the camera instead.

So this is my dilemma, do I modify the holders, or the camera? Anyone else have this trouble? Or perhaps there's a good source for 5x7 Graflex holders I've not yet discovered?

Mike

Martin Miksch
19-Feb-2010, 07:50
Have a look at http://graflex.org/

This guys are very kindful and experienced.

Regards

Martin

Brian Stein
21-Feb-2010, 17:27
Ive been looking for one of the compacts with the idea of modifying the back: modern holders are easy to come by, the 57 graflex's not so. I dont know of any special source but the suggestion to look on graflex.org is good
To me it boils down to 1. do I want to hack into a 'precious'/original/antique camera vs I want a functional camera and dont mind changing the design/look and 2. Do I want to do one mod or mod a bunch of things

Glenn Thoreson
21-Feb-2010, 18:50
It would be very difficult to modify the holders. They are too small, the light trap groove is ass backwards, etc, etc. Why not look for a 5X7 Fairchild bag magazine? They were made by Graflex. They show up on the auction gizmo now and then and Pacific Rim Camera, in Oregon, might actually have one. They might have some slotted holders, too. Bag mags are a wonderful thing. Twelve shots to a loading. If you find one, try to make sure the little changing bag is light tight and supple. I think some 5X7 slotted holders were on the auction today, but it would be over by now.

Pete Roody
22-Feb-2010, 08:31
Fred Lustig can change adapt the camera for a standard 5x7 back. He did it for a friends camera and it came out fine. My friend supplied a Deardorff back, but you could use almost any 5x7 wood back. This is the way to go if you have other 5x7 cameras. This way you use the same filmholders for all your cameras. Fred's contact info is at graflex.org.