PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Vs. Shen-Hao

Enrique Vila
31-Dec-2001, 09:37
Hi...

I'm the proud owner of a Linhof Master Tech which I've been using for a while. C ouple of weeks ago I discovered the Shen-Hao, and I'pm consirering trading my li nhof for it.

How does the Shen-Hao compares with the linhof...

Thanks in advance for you advice...

Enrique.-

Brian Ellis
31-Dec-2001, 09:52
I've never used the Shen-Hao but I've read about it and I do own the Linhof. Is there something specific you want to gain from this exchange? The main thing I see is the money you could pocket by selling the Linhof and buying the Shen-Hao, but you've surely thought of that. So apart from that, what are you expecting to gain by this exchange? If you're looking for a weight savings, you'd gain a pound or two (I seem to remember that the Shen-Hao weighs in the vicinity of 4.5 lbs, the Linhof is 6.5). If you're looking for easier/better back movements, the Shen-Hao back is almost certainly easier and better than the Linhof. Other than these three things (money, back, and weight) I can't think offhand of what you would be gaining by this exchange. I'm not a believer in the idea that you should like a Linhof just because it's a Linhof or in the idea that if something costs more it must be better but unless you have something very specific in mind that the Shen Hao has and the Linhof doesn't, this seems like a very odd exchange.

Michael Kadillak
31-Dec-2001, 09:53
How long is a "while?". If it is less than a year of serious use in a wide range of photographic applicatiions, I would pass. While I am not familiar with the Shen-Hao (and I am sure that it is a great camera), just based upon a couple of reviews I have read of it, it is not in the same league as the Linhof Master.

While I recognize that there is no such thing as a perfect large format camera, the worksmanship, stability, bellows extension and compactness of the Linhof are very unique and precise. I will love to hear a user of this camera honestly place it in a position superior to the Linhof Master. Have at it....

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
31-Dec-2001, 10:03
There is no field camera that compairs to the LINHOF Technika in the precicion and durability. Most of the Technikas of the model III made almost fifty years ago are still in use and as precice as ever and fetch a higer price than the Shen-Hao new. So you want us to compair a Mercedes to a Lada. On the other hand a Shen-Hao is a great camera for the price if you can not afford a Linhof MT. The Linhof may be hevy but so is the teak body of the Shen-Hao.

Doug Paramore
31-Dec-2001, 11:12
Erique: Why not keep the Linhof and just buy the Shen-Hao? You would be better off financially, if you bought the Linhof new. You will lose too much on the sale of the Linhof. I just cannot find a reason for this trade that makes sense. If you were selling the Shen-Hao to buy a Linhof, it would make more sense. The Linhof is a lifetime camera for serious photographers and the Shen-Hao is a beginner priced camera. I use a technical camera and 2 view cameras and like all three. My technical camera is the British MPP, which is a copy of the Linhof III, and I have a Graphic View II and a Tachihara. All are different and I like and use all three. They each fill a niche, just as having the Linhof and the Shen-Hao would for you.

Happy New Year,

Geoffrey_1456
2-Jan-2002, 18:03
Enrique,

How does an apple compare with an orange? They both are fruits. There is no comparison (at least no fair comparison) between Linhof technika and Shen Hao. Linhof is the best technical camera money can buy, and Shen Hao is the cheapest wooden camera, but with highest performance/cost ratio, money can buy. Which camera to use would likely depend on your shooting style and application. As a proud Master technika owner, you know it is difficult to use wide angle lenses on your technika. On the other hand, it is easy and quick to set up a wide angle shot with Shen Hao, especially with a bag bellows. Shen Hao does not have Linhof's build quality, but can get your job done. Why not call Jeff at Badger Graphic to order one to see for yourself. He is very knowledgeable and can guide you to select a camera best suited for your style and applications. May not be a Shen Hao. May be an Ebony! Happy new year!