PDA

View Full Version : Using Glass Carriers

neil poulsen
17-Feb-2010, 09:50
I don't have a glass carrier for either of my Zone VI enlargers, and I'm thinking of contriving something.

As to my question, is the weight of the top sheet of glass sufficient to hold down the negative, or does it require additional pressure? Or, maybe a thicker piece of glass on top?

If I understand correctly, the anti-Newton rings glass goes on top. Should one have the A.N.R. glass on both the top and bottom?

What's a good source for 5x7, 4x5, and 8x10 glass for carriers? (Both regular and A.N.R.)

bob carnie
17-Feb-2010, 10:12
AN on top only regular on bottom
Folks in Florida make great glass for this purpose, someone here will chime in with the name as I bought from them years ago but they are very accomodating.
They will cut to your specs.

I don't have a glass carrier for either of my Zone VI enlargers, and I'm thinking of contriving something.

As to my question, is the weight of the top sheet of glass sufficient to hold down the negative, or does it require additional pressure? Or, maybe a thicker piece of glass on top?

If I understand correctly, the anti-Newton rings glass goes on top. Should one have the A.N.R. glass on both the top and bottom?

What's a good source for 5x7, 4x5, and 8x10 glass for carriers? (Both regular and A.N.R.)

Oren Grad
17-Feb-2010, 10:20
Folks in Florida make great glass for this purpose, someone here will chime in with the name as I bought from them years ago but they are very accomodating.
They will cut to your specs.

Focal Point (http://www.fpointinc.com/)

Drew Wiley
17-Feb-2010, 10:58
fpointinc.com is the source. Generally you use AN glass only on top. But there are
exceptions. For very slick films and color films I often use glass above and below. You just have to test with your specific film, lens, degree of magnification, and degree of
printing contrast. Different AN glasses behave differently.

bob carnie
17-Feb-2010, 11:16
Thats the group. Great Service

Focal Point (http://www.fpointinc.com/)

neil poulsen
17-Feb-2010, 14:07
Thanks much for the information.

It sounds like the weight of the glass is sufficient to hold the negative.