PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from NY

Gardenerbob
17-Feb-2010, 09:05
Hi there,
I'm a new member to the forum. I have been mostly a 35mm guy, but have always been interested in learning Large Format. Currently, I own a Wista 45 DX and a couple of lenses (90mm Fujinon & 180mm Sinar) that I bought from someone who went digital. I also bought a Betterlight Scanning back with the hopes of getting instant feedback from my initial tries.
I would love to hear from other members' experiences using the Betterlight.

Thanks Bob

J. Gilbert Plantinga
17-Feb-2010, 09:35
Hi Bob,

Hard to think of my Betterlight as "instant" anything when the line time gets down to 1/8 second (= 25 minutes exposure). Hope you've got lots of light...

Drop a line if you get anywhere New Paltz.

eddie
17-Feb-2010, 11:23
hey bob,

we shoot most every sat in and around NYC. i am in kingston NY. we travel and shoot in many places. come along.

eddie

Vick Vickery
17-Feb-2010, 14:58
Welcome to group therepy, Bob. You've got some nice equipment there; the Betterlight scanning back has some drawbacks in the field since it does require long scanning times...really much more useful in the studio than in the field. Have fun with LF! :)

Gardenerbob
18-Feb-2010, 16:10
Thank You for the kind offers for meetings...
Regarding the Betterlight, I know it ain't the fastest way to shoot, but it beats having to develop film, especially when so many large format developers are no longer around.
Bob

rguinter
19-Feb-2010, 14:56
hey bob,

we shoot most every sat in and around NYC. i am in kingston NY. we travel and shoot in many places. come along.

eddie

Eddie: Ive seen your posts many times before. Just wondering what some of your favorite spots might be in NYC? Last year I made quite a few trips downtown around the Brooklyn Bridge and have some nice shots from the Manhattan and Brooklyn sides. But thinking to try and find some other downtown locations with nice scenics.

This is one favorite spot of mine. MF but you get the idea. A lot can be done there if there are no crowds.

Regards. Bob G.

eddie
19-Feb-2010, 17:03
sorry bob, i am not all that well versed in NYC shooting. i let my local friends show me the spots. we have been hitting williamsburgh recently. i like that spot. other than that i lobby to get people up here shooting....:)

eddie

rguinter
20-Feb-2010, 19:18
sorry bob, i am not all that well versed in NYC shooting. i let my local friends show me the spots. we have been hitting williamsburgh recently. i like that spot. other than that i lobby to get people up here shooting....:)

eddie

I'll have to do a google earth search of the Williamsburg area. Maybe there is a water-side park where I can get the bridges in reverse direction. In that direction the sunset would be downriver which could be nice. Thanks. Bob G.

Charles Hohenstein
21-Feb-2010, 05:51
Welcome, Bob.

Pete Roody
21-Feb-2010, 09:35
I'll have to do a google earth search of the Williamsburg area. Maybe there is a water-side park where I can get the bridges in reverse direction. In that direction the sunset would be downriver which could be nice. Thanks. Bob G.

there is a small park just north of the domino sugar factory that you can shoot the williamsburg bridge (manhattan brige is in the background) from. you can also shoot the bridge from streets either side of the bridge.

rguinter
22-Feb-2010, 10:34
Pete: Thanks. I found it with a google earth search. Called Grand St. Park. Never been there. I'll have to make a point to visit asap. Bob G.