PDA

View Full Version : Darkroom stool, what are you using?

Eric Woodbury
16-Feb-2010, 18:31
I'm getting ready to live in my darkroom. I'd like to be able to sit occasionally. Now I have a 1950's industrial stool with no back and not much else. I'd like a stool that has a full back, that I can sit in at counter/sink height when I have a moment. Can't afford a Hermann Miller. What are the rest of you using?

Thanks

Bill_1856
16-Feb-2010, 18:48
Barstools from Ethan Allen. Tall enough to sit on or lean against.

Roger Thoms
16-Feb-2010, 19:02
I use my friends darkroom and he has a nondescript office chair. His sink has a knee area so it works out well. The chair is on casters so you can roll around if desired.

Roger

Ron McElroy
16-Feb-2010, 19:08
I have a very generic wood stool I bought about 30years ago. I only use it when processing film and when looking at negatives.

Discoman
16-Feb-2010, 19:17
i don't have a stool myself. i would say a cheap one from ikea would be good.

dsphotog
16-Feb-2010, 19:52
I use a yard sale special.

srbphoto
16-Feb-2010, 20:20
If I find any stool in my darkroom I have other problems to worry about.

aduncanson
16-Feb-2010, 20:50
Since you mentioned it, I happen to have a 30 year old Herman Miller desk chair in my darkroom. Come to think of it, I have one of their tables in there too. There is also a $99 adjustable height, upholstered stool at the wet side that I bought from Office Depot. I am not sure that anything upholstered really belongs in a darkroom but so far they do not seem to contribute significant dust.

If I were really indulgent I would have one of these (http://www.allmodern.com/Artek-08330X-ARK1006.html). But I would cry if it were to be stained.

neil poulsen
17-Feb-2010, 02:10
I use a smaller style, padded stool intended to sit down at a buffet eating area. It's about 25" or 27" in height. I usually stand, but once in a while, it's nice to relax a little.

evan clarke
17-Feb-2010, 05:23
I have a padded rolling draftsman's stool. I didn't like having a back on the chair, I like this because I can hit it from any direction while in the dark...EC

Arne Croell
17-Feb-2010, 10:24
i don't have a stool myself. i would say a cheap one from ikea would be good.
Thats what I did, Ikea "Procent",with coasters, an adjustable back and a ring as footrest above the base like a bar stool, somewhere in the $30-40 range a few years ago. I don't see it in their present lineup, but they might have something equivalent.

SamReeves
17-Feb-2010, 10:35
For my stool, I use a good dose of prune juice.

LOL, kidding aside I just stand up for the most part.

bob carnie
17-Feb-2010, 11:18
No chair of any kind in my darkroom.. Would only get in the way..
Big Garbage Bin though with lots of use.

Chris Strobel
17-Feb-2010, 11:33
Very funny thread people :) I use the toilet myself, no seriously, my darkroom is my small bathroom these days, so its either that or kneel over the darkroom sink (bath tub) :D

Arne Croell
17-Feb-2010, 11:55
No chair of any kind in my darkroom.. Would only get in the way..
I would agree, normally. However, since I developed heel spurs on both feet 10 years ago, sitting down when moving the prints through the trays helps.

evan clarke
17-Feb-2010, 13:44
I would agree, normally. However, since I developed heel spurs on both feet 10 years ago, sitting down when moving the prints through the trays helps.

I use mine when I am at the print trays, toning in the sink, loading holders and drums and when sorting negatives. My darkroom is the entire basement, about 1800 square feet...EC

BOB MURPHY
17-Feb-2010, 14:26
Real men dont sit in the dark

evan clarke
18-Feb-2010, 05:28
Real men dont sit in the dark

I have 3 metal joints, several rods and pins and enough unabating pain to go along with them, a lesser man would cry. I use a stool.:cool: ..EC

Jerry Bodine
18-Feb-2010, 12:08
At 75 it feels very good to have a sit-down after several hours of standing - even with anti-fatigue floor mats, so I use a folding chair with padded seat/backrest (have four of them that came with a cardtable set). I keep it folded and out of the way when not in use. It doesn't take long to rejuvenate the lower back, and then it's back to work.

bob carnie
18-Feb-2010, 13:32
Jerry

I have around 18 years to get to 75 but I sure as hell hope I am still printing like you are.
Keep working , several hours at a time is a good amount of darkroom work.

regards
Bob

At 75 it feels very good to have a sit-down after several hours of standing - even with anti-fatigue floor mats, so I use a folding chair with padded seat/backrest (have four of them that came with a cardtable set). I keep it folded and out of the way when not in use. It doesn't take long to rejuvenate the lower back, and then it's back to work.

Michael Wynd
18-Feb-2010, 14:42
There are no chairs in the school darkroom I use. Usually there are up to 15 people in there and chairs or stools could be a hazard. It's a pity really because when I'm on my own, a chair would be nice.
Mike

Dave Brown
19-Feb-2010, 09:12
I bought a draftsman's chair a few years ago when I broke my leg, and standing for long periods of time wasn't an option. It's still in the darkroom, but now it's the repository for darkroom towels.