PDA

View Full Version : Speed Graphic on EB*y

tom thomas
16-Feb-2010, 15:32
Has anyone seen the Graflex 4X5 Speed Graphic on Ebay, Item # 290392983965? The guy in Canada wants $895 buy it now and it's not even in the best of shape. Others in better shape have gone for less than $200. Is there really something special about the thing or is it Olympic wishful thinking?

It does come with a Graflex 23 roll film adapter. This is the adapter for the Minature Speed Graphic like I just won, ie 120 film adapter for 2X3 negative. Did that adapter fit on the 4X5 models too?

Tom

Robert Hughes
16-Feb-2010, 15:38
Just move along...

Dan Fromm
16-Feb-2010, 16:09
Tom, it has a Graflok back. Graflex made roll holders to fit 2x3, 3x4, and 4x5 Graflok backs. A roll holder for one size will fit none of the others.

You have a 2x3 Miniature Speed Graphic. You told us that you have a roll holder that fits your camera's back. You should not have a roll holder like the one included in the package. Yours should not sit in the middle of a plate.

tom thomas
16-Feb-2010, 16:47
Thanx. I was just amazed at the asking price when this one 250578115675 is up to $51.00 with 4 hours left. Another from same seller is up to $102 with 4 hours left. I'd thot the first one I mentioned had a special lens or something.

I've been curious about the Graflex's offered lately. I've found at least two Minatures advertised as 4X5's and helped the sellers correct their descriptions so buyers won't feel taken.

I'm cleaning up my minature and exercising the shutters. I've CLA'd the 23 adapter and ready to load some film. Now if the weather will warm up above freezing so I can breathe outside with limited lung capacity on my part and cold sensitive lens shutter in the Graflex.

Later, Tom

Discoman
16-Feb-2010, 19:16
ARGH!!!
SO EXPENSIVE!

really, my mint condition pacemaker (36-47 speed pacemaker, side RF) only cost $200
shipping was an additional $20
even had a flash and solenoid cord.
you can get a good one for much cheaper than that-it's really overpriced.
now, a super speed in mint may easily hit $500-but they are really nice (want one!)
but when you read what they do, and a mint one with original lens, it's worth it (or so i've heard)

Jeffrey Sipress
16-Feb-2010, 19:59
here's your 'A' !!

Discoman
17-Mar-2011, 14:07
At that price, it must be made of gold.
and have some sort of feature that garuntees you will never have a bad picture, and it probably makes film appear out of thin air.
:D :D :D

Jim Ewins
17-Mar-2011, 16:46
Some folks need something to hope for - better than plating the lottery. That some in this Q are asking what does it have shows he may just get a hit. Of course, some believe in god.

Kimberly Anderson
17-Mar-2011, 16:49
I just purchased one here for $100. Kind of a stripper w/no RF and no lens, but I figured that was fair. The rest of the camera is in great shape though.

I just need a lens and a board and I can crack out my Grafmatic holders and get shooting! Anyone got a lens they wanna sell?

toolbox
18-Mar-2011, 08:34
I paid about a hundred dollars for my 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 baby Speed Graphic, and that came with the original case, 6 film holders, and some other doo-dads. I finally got a chance to shoot it a couple weeks ago but haven't had time to develop the film yet (it was cut-down X-Ray film). Fun camera, but not really all that much smaller than a 4x5...

My 4x5 Crown Graphic was...about $250 I think (IIRC). It needed a good cleaning, but it came with two lenses on boards (a 135 Schneider and I think a 205 Ektar...I forget). It also came with the original hard case, some film holders, a Horseman metering back (still working on finding batteries LOL), a Polaroid back, etc...a bunch of stuff. It's been a great shooter, and I love using it.

Also found a Super Graphic in really nice shape for $250, but at that price I just cleaned it up and sold it for closer to $450. Kept the 120 back for it too :). I'd like to get another one some day...they're really nice.

Prices on these things are all over the place, but if you're patient you can definitely find a deal...

Scratched Glass
18-Mar-2011, 09:24
The listings for speed and crown graphics are annoying. You have to wade through the ridiculous listings to find serious sellers. Last time I checked it seemed 75% are asking between $350 and $1,000 for just a camera. I bought a 4x5 pacemaker speed graphic a year and a half ago and spent $350 it came with tripod, 135mm lens, flash gun, cords, 61 flash bulbs, film, 2 Polaroid holders, 10 cut film holder and other stuff. I figured I paid too much, but I was sick of bidding and not winning.

photobymike
18-Mar-2011, 10:43
The most some one will give and the least the seller will take. Thats what its worth.

Armyphotog
21-Mar-2011, 17:26
If you press these sellers on e-bay you will find out they don't know anything about the cameras they are selling, or they have been "stored" God knows where, for God knows how long, and no one guarentees they will work. I bought one recently from one of these liars who left you with the impression he had just put it up. When it got here, it was a total disaster, even though it photographed nicely. The film the holders were loaded with was 30 years old. I'm waiting for Fred Lustig to give me an estimate on whether it's worth fixing, or to just junk it.

Discoman
22-Mar-2011, 21:41
The listings for speed and crown graphics are annoying. You have to wade through the ridiculous listings to find serious sellers. Last time I checked it seemed 75% are asking between $350 and $1,000 for just a camera. I bought a 4x5 pacemaker speed graphic a year and a half ago and spent $350 it came with tripod, 135mm lens, flash gun, cords, 61 flash bulbs, film, 2 Polaroid holders, 10 cut film holder and other stuff. I figured I paid too much, but I was sick of bidding and not winning.

if you paid too much, then I was had on my camera.
4x5 side rf pacemaker speed (one of the earliest production run models) a three cell flash, 5" reflector, box of Ge #5 bulbs (blue coating), lens, lensboard, etc, solenoid cable.
oh, and the side leather handle was replaced with a dog collar.
but it fits on my dog, so no loss there.
:D :D

jp
23-Mar-2011, 06:22
The flash handle adds big money to the package. You're competing against star wars fans who want authentic light sabres.

Otherwise I agree many people selling these do not know what they are actually sellable for. That's good for lawnsales, bad for ebay shopping.