PDA

View Full Version : Some help with sheet film

sapata
16-Feb-2010, 12:39
Hi...
Not really a large format related question but I guess this is the right place...if it's not please forgive me.

Last Christmas I gave myself this nice Voigtlander 6.5 x 9.0 plate camera that I’ve been meaning to use since. I tried to buy the roll film back on ebay but no lucky so far ( by the way if anyone have one to sell I’m quite interested in buying..)

In the mean time I was told that I could get some sheet film and use with the plate holders so I bought this pack with 25 sheets and I’m intending to use them somehow. I heard few people using honey to glue the film into a cardboard in order to fit ... has anyone tried this film before that could share the experience ?

Many thanks !

77seriesiii
17-Feb-2010, 04:42
Sapata,

You will need a platter can be thin plexi or metal. The platter is used to take up the slack space so your film will lay flat in the holder. You do not want to use a "glue" to adhere your film to the plate holder. You can use any number of items to "glue" the film to the platter and then place this 'sandwich' into the plate. After that you are ready to take some shots w/ the camera. From experience...remember which side has the emulsion for exposure prior to 'gluing' it to the platter...safe your self some time.

I think this is what you are asking. Glue wise anything water soluble that will not harm the halation layer on the back of the film should work. Honey and jam seem to be favorites. I actually done it without for alot of my shots on an old wholeplate camera. You could even try a very very thin layer of a tack spray (rubber cement) on your platter. Let it dry, it will/should remain tacky. I have contemplated doing that but before purchasing I wanted to see what it would do to some film. The caution...rubber cement is NOT water soluble, and has solvents...it may just ruin a shot. I may just try it and sacrifice a shot just to see what happens.

erick

sapata
17-Feb-2010, 09:53
Thanks erick...

Looks like I'll be using some honey, I only need to find something to use as a platter, doing with cardborard I've got the feeling that will desintegrate inside the tank during the process...