PDA

View Full Version : Where Can I Find "Old" Lenses To Buy?

Oliver Ruether
30-Dec-2001, 06:41
Hi, I'm a guy from Germany and wondering about all these old lenses you're always sp eeking about. Is there an url or a book where I can get some knowledge about them? Where do yo u buy these things?

Robert A. Zeichner
30-Dec-2001, 10:20
Right on this site is quite a bit about some of the classics.

http://hv.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-one-category.tcl?topic= Large%20format%20photography&category=Lenses%3a%20classic

Doug Paramore
30-Dec-2001, 11:03
Oliver: Check out the Midwest Photo Exchange (MPX) web site. They usually carry a good selection of used older lenses. You might send them an e-mail for current in-stock listings.

Regards,

james mickelson
30-Dec-2001, 11:06
Another good site is Reprographics.com.

David A. Goldfarb
30-Dec-2001, 11:55
Also www.lensandrepro.com and www.thefstop.com.

Oliver Ruether
30-Dec-2001, 14:25
Thanks to all of you!!!

Jim Chinn
30-Dec-2001, 20:53
Do goggle search for Qt Luong. He is the moderator of this site and has an outstanding web site dedicated to large format and a wealth of information about lenses, classic and new. Also the archives on this forum has a lot of threads discussing various lenses.

For purchase, the two best vendors to deal with are Midwest Camera Exchange and Lens and Repro. Have always heard good things and no problems with my limited dealings. After you do research and know what you want, Ebay can be a good place to pick up older lenses. Just make sure that the seller has positive feedback for transactions and that he spells out a return policy if you want to return the item.

If you have specific questions not answered in the archives, post it here. I am not a lens expert, but I am continually amazed at the knowledge about lenses that is shared on this site and has helped me avoid making a costly mistakes in lens purchases over the last year.

Geoffrey_1456
2-Jan-2002, 18:34
Oliver,

If you are still in Germany, check out ARSENAL, and also check Ebay. Happy shopping!