PDA

View Full Version : Epson 4990 scanner and VueScan Standard vs Pro

Robert Ley
13-Feb-2010, 18:49
I recently got a refurbished 4990 from Epson and it only came with the Epson scan software. I had heard that the VueScan is good software for scanning. I will probably only use this scanner for scans to the web and low res scans for CD compilations to give out to potential customers. My questions is: Is the professional version at $79 worth the extra money or is the standard at $39 just as good for my purposes? I will be scanning both B&W and Color negatives and prints.

Brian Vuillemenot
13-Feb-2010, 18:58
I use the Epson software and it works fine for me.

PenGun
15-Feb-2010, 19:39
I bought standard but I will upgrade to pro. I like it much better that the Epson stuff but I like *nixy things with lots of options.

You can try it for free.

redu
17-Feb-2010, 03:05
I second Brian. Epson scan has got everything you need to do a perfect scan as much as 4990 hardware allows. And yes i've also used both vuescan and silverfast with my 4990.

DarkroomDan
17-Feb-2010, 18:38
I also have the 4990. It came with both the Epson and lite version of Silverfast. I have never used the Silverfast enough to be any good with it. I have had good results with the Epson software but, day in day out, I use Vuescan Pro. I bought it maybe 15 years ago and have used it with three different scanners, each a different brand. I'm just comfortable using it. You get lifetime free updates with it - Ed updates it very often. I don't know that it is any better or worse than the other choices. I know how to use it. I know how to use the adjustments. When I get new hardware I will still be able to use this software.

Dan

dalton
26-Feb-2010, 20:01
I'm a Vuescan Pro user but the software is only worth it if you're willing to play around with it a bit and learn the ins and outs. It can be quite "fiddly". The Epson software is probably fine for web and lower resolution scans, and definitely easier to use.

jdimichele
27-Feb-2010, 21:52
I've also got a 4990. I've used Epson scan before and it does do a very good job, as long as you configure the colour settings correctly. However, my favourite scanning application is definitely VueScan Pro. There are a bunch of features in the pro version that are not in the standard version, important ones being RAW scanning and ICC support. VueScan allows you to really tweak your scanning quality. Another advantage of VueScan is that you buy it once and you can use any scanner that VueScan supports without purchasing additional licences; the advantage being that you are using a familiar interface for all your scanning and aren't cluttering up your workstation installing everyone manufacturers scanning software. If you decide to go the VueScan route, spring for the pro considering the fact that you purchase it once and you'll always get free upgrades. Should you decide to buy the standard version and then wish any of the upgrades over the life of your scanner, you've already paid for the pro version. Since there are updates to VueScan multiple times per month, you'll probably want to upgrade to them.

Cheers,
Jay
www.jasondimichele.com

D. Bryant
28-Feb-2010, 11:57
Since there are updates to VueScan multiple times per month, you'll probably want to upgrade to them.

My experience with Vuescan Pro is that if your current version isn't broke, don't upgrade it arbitrarily; sometimes upgrades break something else.

Don Bryant