PDA

View Full Version : Kodak HC-110 Film Developer Replenisher

Chiron
12-Feb-2010, 15:27
I want to use Kodak HC-110 Film developer to make a working solution to develop 4x5 sheet film using the Jobo 3010 Expert Drum.
I plan to develop 10 sheets with 330ml chemical volume

Question: Once I have my stock solution do I need to dilute anymore and what would be the developing time for HP5+?

I wanted to purchase Kodak HC-110 Film but instead I purchased the Kodak HC-110 Film Developer "Replenisher" because they were all out of stock. I was eager to use the new developer.
Now I'm looking over the Kodak data sheet and I am totally spun around.

Kodak HC-110 Film Developer Replenisher is an extremely versatile developer, that can be used in both replenished and non-replenished systems.

KODAK PROFESSIONAL HC-110 Replenisher
To prepare a replenisher stock solution, pour the contents (16 ounces [473 mL]) of the replenisher concentrate into a mixing container that holds at least 3.8 litres (1 gallon). Add enough water to bring the total volume to 3.8 litres (1 gallon). Stir the solution until it is uniform.

Thanks so much,
Paul

Chiron
12-Feb-2010, 20:06
Well after some googling, there seems to be some consensus that HC-110 Developer is not the same as the HC-110 Replenisher. Although Kodak seems to say that they are interchangeable. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
p

D. Bryant
12-Feb-2010, 21:59
Well after some googling, there seems to be some consensus that HC-110 Developer is not the same as the HC-110 Replenisher. Although Kodak seems to say that they are interchangeable. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
p

The concentrate can be used to make stock solutions of developer and replenisher.

However IMO, you would be making an egregous error by using a replenished system unless you are engaged in processing enormous amounts of film.

Simply put, maintaining repetitive results in a home darkroom is much easier to do with one shot mixes from the concentrate. Don't even bother to make stock solutions. In concentrate form HC110 will last literally for years in it's capped partially full container. As a stock solution it can go bad relatively quickly and unexpectedly.

My 2 cents,

Don Bryant

Mark Barendt
13-Feb-2010, 07:31
However IMO, you would be making an egregous error by using a replenished system unless you are engaged in processing enormous amounts of film.

Simply put, maintaining repetitive results in a home darkroom is much easier to do with one shot mixes from the concentrate.

In a specific sense, with HC-110 maybe, IDK.

In a generic sense, I truly disagree with this statement, my replenished Xtol has been absolutely dependable at 1-2 films per week even after skipping a month.

I believe that replenishment's dependability is driven by averaging out mixing errors.

I keep 1.75 liters of working solution. My largest developing tank holds a liter so I never use my whole reserve.

I replenish at 70ml per film, this number is easy to measure accurately and even if I miss by 5% on one replenishment (which at 3.5ml would qualify as a truly sloppy error using a 100ml measure), the net effect is negligible.

The smaller the amount of concentrate the harder it is to measure accurately.

I am not saying that small batches can't be done well with the likes of HC-110 and Rodinal but, assuming good working and storage practices, there is nothing about one-shot processes that makes them intrinsically more dependable than replenishment.

mikebarger
13-Feb-2010, 07:43
I've not ever used replenished developer because I'm pretty sporadic at shooting film. I may shoot 10 sheets of 4x5 this month, then not any for 2 or 3 months. Mixed in, I may shoot 2 rolls of 120 a month for a couple months then not for several months.

I've just always thought, right or wrong, that I would be throwing out replenished developer since between the two above I may still go 4 or 5 weeks sometimes without developing film, saving it up and doing more at one time.

Mike

Mark Barendt
13-Feb-2010, 08:21
I've not ever used replenished developer because I'm pretty sporadic at shooting film. I may shoot 10 sheets of 4x5 this month, then not any for 2 or 3 months. Mixed in, I may shoot 2 rolls of 120 a month for a couple months then not for several months.

I've just always thought, right or wrong, that I would be throwing out replenished developer since between the two above I may still go 4 or 5 weeks sometimes without developing film, saving it up and doing more at one time.

Mike

I've gone that long at least twice with my current "batch" of replenished Xtol.

The only "inconsistency" I've ever had was during the initial seasoning which is normal and expected when setting up a replenished system. I planned on this and just started adding a little extra time with each successive batch of film for the first 10 rolls, after that it has not wavered.

No films were harmed during this setup/test phase. :D

(No replenishment for first 5-6 rolls, then 70ml/roll after development, stable came about 12 rolls in)

BetterSense
13-Feb-2010, 10:17
I use replenished D23, replenishing 23mL of DK-25r every roll. 2L D23 and 750mL dk25R lasts me a good year. When the 750mL is gone I make a new batch.

Still, I only do this because I need 2L of chemistry for my kodak hard rubber tanks. HC110 one-shot is more convenient.

To the OP, HC110 is a film developer, and HC110R replenisher is different. HC110R is designed to replenish the normal HC110. I do believe that you can use it as a developer by itself, but it will behave differently than HC110 proper.

D. Bryant
13-Feb-2010, 10:44
In a specific sense, with HC-110 maybe, IDK.

In a generic sense, I truly disagree with this statement, my replenished Xtol has been absolutely dependable at 1-2 films per week even after skipping a month.

I believe that replenishment's dependability is driven by averaging out mixing errors.

I keep 1.75 liters of working solution. My largest developing tank holds a liter so I never use my whole reserve.

I replenish at 70ml per film, this number is easy to measure accurately and even if I miss by 5% on one replenishment (which at 3.5ml would qualify as a truly sloppy error using a 100ml measure), the net effect is negligible.

The smaller the amount of concentrate the harder it is to measure accurately.

I am not saying that small batches can't be done well with the likes of HC-110 and Rodinal but, assuming good working and storage practices, there is nothing about one-shot processes that makes them intrinsically more dependable than replenishment.

There maybe some developers ameanable (more suitable) for replenishment but experience has taught me that one shot developers are more reliable than working with replenished systems. Unless you have a measured control you really have no assurance that your replinished developer is keeping it's juice.

Mixing working solutions accurately from concentrates is very easy. It's been done with HC110 for decades by darkrom enthusiasts.

Anyway here is a link for HC110 that maybe useful:

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/

Don Bryant

D. Bryant
13-Feb-2010, 12:15
The concentrate can be used to make stock solutions of developer and replenisher.

Sorry I think I mis-stated this here but someone may have used the concentrate or dilution of the concentrate to make a replinisher. Sorry if I confused the issue. In the past Kodak did have a HC110R.

Don Bryant