PDA

View Full Version : Studio and field camera: enquiry

tomingreycounter
12-Feb-2010, 03:42
Hello,

I am researching a couple of cameras for a mock photographer's studio in the new transport museum in Glasgow, UK, and wondered if anyone could help me identify them properly? I've attached a photo of each one.

I know the studio camera was made by the Kodak Co Ltd, London and has a lens by Taylor-Hobson. It is 10" x 8" format and was used by Brown's Photographers in Lanark, Scotland. But I'm not sure when it was made, or any details about the particular model.

All I know about the field camera is that is was used by Langfier & Co Photographers of Glasgow and is approximately 18" square. But, again I'm not sure what date, make or plate size.

I would appreciate any information.

Many thanks,
Tom

Steven Tribe
12-Feb-2010, 04:06
More photographs please! And you need to measure the size of the opening in the back where the ground glass used to be (could be metric or inch size). Is there anything on the plaques? Could be retailers name.

Steven Tribe
12-Feb-2010, 04:15
Given Saul Langfier's Polish background, and the date of this camera - this could be something he had with him when he emigrated to the UK around 1895 - hence the metric possibility.

eddie
12-Feb-2010, 04:40
i am most familiar with the century studio cameras. i realize that kodak had hand in there somewhere.

i can not tell you which kodak model it is but i can say that if it were a century 8x10 camera it is most likely a 10a. the 10a cameras had three standards.

if it is an 11x14 camera it could be an 8a. they too had three standards. i have two other century 11x14 studio cameras one is marked "No 1" and the other "No 2" both with three standards. these are definitely older than the 8a models.

what is the focal length and f stop of the lens?

eddie

cjbroadbent
12-Feb-2010, 05:22
You might diplay a camera by great camera maker of scottish decent Louis Gandolfi (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/obituary-arthur-gandolfi-1481232.html).

Steven Tribe
12-Feb-2010, 09:04
We are taking about a Glasgow location, so perhaps something sold by Lizars would be more appropriate. I think Gandolfi's family is/was Edinburgh based!

Clarence Rhymer
12-Feb-2010, 10:04

i can not tell you which kodak model it is but i can say that if it were a century 8x10 camera it is most likely a 10a. the 10a cameras had three standards.

eddie

Hello eddie,

I am confused. Does the 10a have 3 standards? Mine only have two.

Cheers,
Clarence

eddie
12-Feb-2010, 10:11
Hello eddie,

I am confused. Does the 10a have 3 standards? Mine only have two.

Cheers,
Clarence

oh boy! i better go check this out to be sure.....looks like i may have put my foot in my mouth.....i will have to go look. the 7a has a bit less bellows......so is it the 9a with the three standards.

better go check and speculate less!

EDIT: clarence is correct. good catch C. looks like i should drink all my coffee to be sure i am awake!

here is (http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=9451651) a picture of a 9a. the 9a has three standards. the 10a has two standards and a little bellows "helper" block is used to keep the bellows from sagging.