PDA

View Full Version : What did they see?

swmcl
12-Feb-2010, 00:30
Hello,

I'm hoping an enlightened one amongst us might be able to let me know what the bidders saw in this one.

Do they see a brass tube ? It looked a bit like a shiny metal lure I might go fishing with ... It seems there is something of a parallel with fishing and LFers with brass !! :)

Just what characteristics could be expected from this one ?

Rgds,

Steven Tribe
12-Feb-2010, 05:52
Well known, but uncommon (especialy the "& New York") softish lens.
Perfectly correct item description.
Good useable 15" focal length with probably acceptable coverage for 8x10".
Shortage of the more obvious candidates (P&S).

Mark Sawyer
12-Feb-2010, 11:13
I'm hoping an enlightened one amongst us might be able to let me know what the bidders saw in this one.

As it was bought by berlinerantiquesaol, the winning bidder probably saw dollar signs, and will be offering for resale soon, with a much "enhanced" description and a higher price...

Steven Tribe
12-Feb-2010, 14:53
I don't think we will see this again. Even with confirmed coverage for 8x10 and sample shots, I think the maximum was reached in this auction.

BarryS
12-Feb-2010, 15:12
I don't think we will see this again. Even with confirmed coverage for 8x10 and sample shots, I think the maximum was reached in this auction.

I agree. I think old berliner wanted this for his personal collection. And why not--when you can sell a couple of nameless magic lantern lenses to buy a classic pictorial lens and have enough money left over for a lobster dinner--that's a nice deal. :)

Emil Schildt
12-Feb-2010, 15:16
I made a bid....

Over run by a loong mile, but I surely would like to have it.

for use - not collection.

Jim Galli
12-Feb-2010, 22:02
This is a very very special and rare lens. I would have loved to have it. Everything is relative. A 15" Pinkham Smith Semi Achromatic would cost $3500. So Geoffrey buys this for $1,000 bucks (deeper pockets than me, but that's just sour grapes), enjoys using it, and just like re-selling gold, he can cash out at whatever the inflation has taken us to when he sells it. Doesn't seem idiotic to me at all.

swmcl
13-Feb-2010, 00:32
Thanks guys I'm enlightened.

I must admit to having a really pleasurable thoughts about those who hoard items to sell them for greatly elevated prices and yet add no value. I like it when they try and sell stuff with obvious dents and scratches for 95% of the mint prices or when they can't even be bothered getting a shutter seen to. Lovely people.

Not that this one suited me mind you but I'm still interested in a couple of items and these sheisters get in the way.

Cheers,