PDA

View Full Version : Interesting System for Hanging Prints

r.e.
11-Feb-2010, 10:04
I was at a show at one of the major art galleries in this country recently and was struck by the way in which a number of prints were hung. The system that was used was simple, fairly inexpensive, easily recyclable and effective. The manufacturer of the hardware is AS Hanging Systems in Montreal: http://www.ashanging.com/ For this particular exhibit, they used what AS calls Tensioned Cable.

The gentleman whose work was being exhibited, who is a friend, tells me that he was very happy with the hardware and the look. He used this system for very large prints; I don't know one way or the other whether it would work as well/be as effective for small prints.

Thought that I'd pass this along.

jeroldharter
11-Feb-2010, 10:33
That is a nice system but much pricier than a nail!

Would be good in a hallway or room with multiple prints that get changed out variably with time and especially where the prints might be stacked one above the other. I used to have long (22') walnut rails on my living room wall which worked well but this would have been a more flexible alternative. I doubt that the secure holders are that secure - someone could just clip the cables and walk off. For secure hanging, I use:

http://www.govart.com/hardware_security_C.html

Of course, those have to be screwed into the wall, leveled, etc. You system would be more flexible and allow changing different sized prints.

Peter De Smidt
11-Feb-2010, 11:00
Thank you for bringing this system to my attention. My house has 100 year old plaster and lath walls. I don't like nailing through the plaster! I've been considering putting up some of the old style picture rail molding, but this site gives me some options.

evan clarke
11-Feb-2010, 11:18
A cafe here in Milwaukee put this exact system in and it's very nice. Another place here did about the same thing with cable and S hooks and it worked out pretty well too..Evan Clarke

Louie Powell
11-Feb-2010, 11:19
There are several venues in our area allow artists to hang work on a rotating basis. Several are libraries, and have these systems in either a hallway or meeting room.

I've hung a couple of shows using these systems. From the artists's perspective, they are far superior to other schemes - they are infinitely flexible and allow the artist to hang the work in whatever way is best for the show. And you don't end up with bloody fingers from fighting with picture wire.

r.e.
11-Feb-2010, 12:21
That is a nice system but much pricier than a nail!

Yes, it costs quite a bit more than a nail, but the way it was being used, the prints were hung as they were. No expense for framing. It's not that they couldn't afford framing - the gallery is the province's main public art gallery - it's that the artist wanted to do it this way. In the gallery room, which has quite high ceilings, it looked brilliant; and there was nothing between the viewer and the print.

ret wisner
11-Feb-2010, 12:37
i have three sets of the rails in my apartment ,here in amsterdam.

ours are on a runner so you can just re space them when needed, look better when they are wall colour.