PDA

View Full Version : My second shot (that's worth sharing!)

welly
10-Feb-2010, 17:32
I posted my first shot a couple of weeks ago, since then I've taken a few more shots with mixed success. Had a couple of good 'uns and a few not so good 'uns. Here's my second shot that I think was worth sharing. Again, scanned and stitched, so part of the image is looking a bit blown out but I think that's one to blame on the scanner I'm suffering with. Or at least, that's where I'm placing the blame!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2777/4346859657_619684fd98_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/alastairmoore/4346859657/)

Cheers!

Welly

r.e.
10-Feb-2010, 18:00
Again, scanned and stitched...

Looks good. I'm assuming 4x5. How did you do the shots to be stitched? Shift?

welly
10-Feb-2010, 18:09
Looks good. I'm assuming 4x5. How did you do the shots to be stitched? Shift?

Yeah, 4x5. The top half of the image would have obviously suited an ND grad filter but more about that in my other post :)

I used some software called DoubleTake on the Mac. It seems to do the job pretty well, if it's not a little basic. It'll suffice until I can get my mitts on a proper scanner!

lenicolas
11-Feb-2010, 12:35
i don't get it.
are you stiching two scans of the same sheet for higher dinamic range?
or stiching two shots for a wider field of view?

welly
11-Feb-2010, 13:34
i don't get it.
are you stiching two scans of the same sheet for higher dinamic range?
or stiching two shots for a wider field of view?

I'm stitching two scans of the same sheet because the flatbed scanner I have access to will only scan up to medium format sized film so have had to make two passes and stick the two halves of the image together. Not really ideal but sufficing at this point to get some photos online.

Sean Galbraith
11-Feb-2010, 14:05
How did you meter this scene, if you don't mind me asking? It is a great photo and I'm looking to improve my skills.

welly
11-Feb-2010, 14:16
How did you meter this scene, if you don't mind me asking? It is a great photo and I'm looking to improve my skills.

Cheers Sean! The sky portion of the photo would have benefitted greatly from an ND grad filter but was pleased with the foreground exposure at least. I'm definitely not the best person to ask about metering! But I've been taking on board advice from this forum, particularly from this discussion:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?p=531344&mode=linear#post531344

For this image, I was metering off the dark portion of the rocks in the foreground and following Gem Singer's advice of putting that into zone 3 by closing the exposure down two stops - I metered and shot this at F/45 and increased the shutter speed by two stops. But like I say, the top half of the image is a bit too bright although the transparency is less so and am partially blaming the scanner for this.

Ash
11-Feb-2010, 14:18
I can see a lot of magenta in your whites, try using the colour mixer or 'hue/saturation' control to reduce that so your white is white. Otherwise looks good