PDA

View Full Version : Wet plate collodion workshop. Shoot. Sell and Swap May 1-2, 2010

eddie
10-Feb-2010, 06:20
hey all,

Due to popular demand, requests, and the last successful gathering i have decided to organize another interesting LF photo day and play. not sure what to call it. so help me think of a catchy name or phrase.

i am working on getting a website up with all the info. but until then the preview is something like this. I will rent a hall with an outside area. (recreation center similar to a VFW or the like). plenty of parking. tables. pavilon. BBQ area. etc etc.

The main activities will be scheduled for Sat. May 1st. in Rosendale NY. We will begin at sunrise and go into the night. if it is a great turn out we may include activities for sunday as well. i plan to rent the Center for both days anyway.

Art Craft Chemicals will be on site. Black Art Wood Craft will have cameras and accessories available for your inspection. A few more interesting people will be announced.

The activities i am thinking about so far will include:

Wet Plate Photography workshop with Todd Harrington. Todd is well know and excellent WPC photographer and teacher. you will not want to miss this. Improve your existing skills or learn from the beginning. It will be a two day work shop. Two FULL days of WPC work and info. exact info to come shortly. All materials, cameras and manual will be included. It will be held at a private location so only Todd and the 4-5 students (5 max) will be together. it will not be at the rec. center so you will have a private workshop with no interruptions. A minimum of Three students is needed. a max of 5 students. Price is $495 per student for BOTH days. Sign up and pay before March 22 and pay only $450 (The $450 rate must be paid in full to get the discount and must be paid before March 22). A deposit is required to hold your spot at the regular price. Deposit will be $300. Payment in full is required by April 10. A Full refund is available until April 1st. more info to come in a few days.

I plan to have models to shoot as well. Possibly figure nudes. Nudes TBA. there will be additional costs associated with nudes (we have to pay the models)

BBQ and related food will be available.

A Sell and Swap of camera equipment will also happen. this is included to all that sign up. there will be tables available for you to place your "extra" gear for sale. a great way to buy, sell or trade your gear.

There are many very interesting sights nearby to shoot as well. i will organize trip ideas for those wanting to shoot the local areas.

There is a 50 acre wooded parcel across the street from the site that i have permission to use for camping. Local Hotels, motels and restaurants are close by. most in New Paltz and Kingston NY.

There will be a $50 per person. this is to offset the costs associated with the function. Please sign up early so i can judge how much food, drink , and how many models to bring. Extra fees apply to the figure model shoot. The Wet Plate Collodion workshop is NOT included. It is a fee all it self. The $50 is included in the Workshop fee.

Who is interested? post here or send me an e mail.

More info as it unfolds. this is just the advanced notice.

Thanks

eddie

Alex Wei
10-Feb-2010, 12:29
sounds very good, I will be there.

Pete Roody
11-Feb-2010, 14:44
i will be there. the concept of a tailgate/swap meet intrigues me. just make sure you stock the bar with everclear. this way, prospective purchasers won't be able to see the cleaning marks on my lenses.

jaimeb82
18-Feb-2010, 11:44
I am making plans to make this one...

eddie
21-Feb-2010, 09:58
okay. i am sorry to say that for numerous reasons i will not be able to organize this function as i had intended.

the venue has moved (back to my place). NO workshop will be offered.

i plan to have a gathering. all are welcome. it will be similar to the "jan 23rd" event.

it is Wet Plate Collodion day that weekend. it is Archer's memorial. so all wet plate shooters should come and have a group effort.

All LF shooters should come. i will try and have models. All are welcome. food and beverage will be available.

thanks

eddie

Flexnib
23-Feb-2010, 23:18
Sounds like fun. Count me in.
Arthur

Cornelius
24-Feb-2010, 00:49
Damn I wish I lived in NY so I could go to this, and although I don't even really know how to use my 4x5 yet, this photography process has been on my "must learn" list for quite a while now...

Jealous
:p

madmax12
24-Feb-2010, 20:30
dam is right we need to do this in calif

imagedowser
25-Feb-2010, 06:08
The only way to do this anywhere else is to hire EDDIE, it's his energy/personality that makes it the "scene" it becomes.....

Joe Smigiel
14-Mar-2010, 21:22
okay. i am sorry to say that for numerous reasons i will not be able to organize this function as i had intended...

Can you keep us updated on what will occur at the event as it shapes up Eddie? Will Mike and Steve still be showing? Is the sell/swap still on? Will there be tuneage? Revelry? Fire? Wabbits?

I've been thinking of driving the Magic Bus over and bringing along a bellowless 8x20 Korona & holders to sell along with a couple lenses to pay for gas for the trip. Might also be time to let loose of that 20" Vitax. I'll also bring that 5x7 Seroco Petzval and maybe a Rembrandt portrait lens and darktent to unload.

I might be after a Dallmeyer 2C if one shows up.

Joe

eddie
15-Mar-2010, 04:02
har har har!

free free free!

thanks joe,

most stuff happening on may 1st. all are welcome to hang around all weekend to help flow all the collodion and kick the keg.

there will be deer, turkeys (not just you guys) and rabbits being pulled from hats! Frank Petronio will be coming as well....he is in charge of all the fire!

mike and steve are scheduled to show. maybe we can get a 50/50 raffle in on some chemical goodies....

yes, please bring some stuff to swap and sell. i will make arrangements for a tent and some tables. i was just not able to pull it off as grand as i had planned but i will try and include all the fun non-the-less. the more goodies that show will help to get some of the tire kickers to come on over......

i know of a 2C that will be there....not sure if it will be for sale but it will be available for play!

It is wet plate collodion day on May 1st. it is a day that all WPC people shoot a plate and post it on a website. we will be having a group effort to do this. we will also be shooting film and large format. i will have some models, food, and great local micro brew beer!

it will be worth the drive. i/we hope you (and all others) are able to make it. so far we have about 20-25 people waiting for the day to arrive.

there is 50 acres of forest to play in as well. i will be arranging local forays to nearby shooting destinations for those that want to shoot photos of something besides the models. we have 1600 era stone houses, bridges (BIG and small) rocks, mountains, barns, trees waterfalls and old trains to name a few of the awesome potential all within 15 mins drive.

eddie

Frank Petronio
15-Mar-2010, 05:02
You bet, I'll bring the harem and matches.

iamjanco
30-Mar-2010, 19:53
Hoi, Eddie, als je niet een oude scheet geest op het feest, wil ik graag opdagen ook.

Jan

eddie
1-Apr-2010, 13:53
Hoi, Eddie, als je niet een oude scheet geest op het feest, wil ik graag opdagen ook.

Jan

ervoor dat oude scheet Geest zijn altijd welkom

eddie
1-Apr-2010, 13:58
okay. i just got word from Petronio. he is bringing girl(s) and some stuff for fire.

i will be working on another model or two as well. please keep in mind that it would be nice to tip the models as they are giving up there time for us. if you enjoy working with the models please kick in a few bucks as well. if everyone puts in some that would be great.

stay tuned.

eddie

MenacingTourist
2-Apr-2010, 12:31
Sounds like fun. Count me as a "most likely" :)

Alan.

eddie
2-Apr-2010, 12:58
Sounds like fun. Count me as a "most likely" :)

Alan.

no way hombre! you ARE coming! no ands ifs or buts!

see you then....get a ride from pete.

eddie

eddie
3-Apr-2010, 04:28
hey all,

some more info. i just typed "wet plate NYC" into google and this thread came up 2nd right after john coffer's site. how great is that?

anyway, all is moving forward. F. Petronio is bringing a model (or two) and something for some fire....:)

Black Art wood craft will be here as well. he will have some pieces to show off as well....he can be easily found at the keg! LOL!

Artcraft chemicals will also be here. he has donated some chemicals for raffles and a Chinese auction. if you want to save some shipping order from him and pick it up when you arrive.

i just received word last night that bostick-sullivan will be donating some chemicals as well for the cause.

remember this is " wet plate day" as well. all the wet plate shooters are encouraged to shoot a plate today in remembrance of Archer...the wet plate founder. please see this page for more info:
http://www.wetplateday.org/ (http://www.wetplateday.org/)

also, if you can not make my event and you live in or near the UK there is a ceremony in the UK at Archers burial plot. money has been raised to provide him with a head stone....that is right, after almost 150 years of not having a marker Mr Archer will getting one! a big well done to all that made that happen.

camping is available at my place (free). there are also many hotel/motels in kingston and new paltz NY.

if any one would like to bring something for "pot luck" that would be great. any help is appreciated. please e mail me for specifics. so far we have BBQ food, salads, and BEER....great local beer in a keg! last time we kicked a 1/4 keg. this time i upped it to a 1/2 keg. lets see how we will do.

i am excited to kick this off. it should be a great day. i have a "guy" in the weather. so it will be a perfect day! positive thinking everyone! (rain or shine)....positive thinking remember!

thanks

eddie

Ken Lee
7-Apr-2010, 10:23
ervoor dat oude scheet Geest zijn altijd welkom

Je mensen moeten vinden van een meer obscure taal voor communicatie!

eddie
7-Apr-2010, 14:27

ถ้าเราต้องการให้มันยากขึ้นฉันจะใช้ภาษาที่ สองของฉัน

eddie
7-Apr-2010, 16:20

:)

Ken Lee
7-Apr-2010, 16:39
http://bolstablog.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/kaboom-visual.jpg

That last one got me good !

I surrender !

alec4444
8-Apr-2010, 21:21

"With the thought of you alone, my body trembles and my heart shakes."

Would love to make it - and quite possible. Will keep you posted. May need to borrow one of your 50 cameras. =)

--A

eddie
9-Apr-2010, 02:30
"With the thought of you alone, my body trembles and my heart shakes."

Would love to make it - and quite possible. Will keep you posted. May need to borrow one of your 50 cameras. =)

--A

WOW! he lives! i thought you were banned from photography! glad to hear you are still in the area.

see you then.

cheers

Petzval Paul
11-Apr-2010, 01:35
Eddie,

Headed back from here on the 29th of April, so no way to make this one. I do plan on being at the jamboree, however!!!!

eddie
16-Apr-2010, 03:55
Eddie,

Headed back from here on the 29th of April, so no way to make this one. I do plan on being at the jamboree, however!!!!

sounds like you can make it no problem. are you bringing the Mrs?

it is getting closer fast!

i ordered the beer! see my priorities? :)

i am looking into a tent (for SUN shade! remember positive weather thoughts). i will be talking with my "chef" on some food today.

several "models" will be there. a couple are "real" models and the others are regular folks that are willing to sit for us. should be great. lets remember to get a print or something to the sitters for their time.

looking forward to seeing everyone. looks like we should have over 50 people showing up! WOW!

remember to bring any unwanted equipment to buy/sell and swap. i hear there is an 8x20 camera with holders showing up looking for a new home....

here are some ideas fro hotel/motels in the area. you probably want to stay in New Paltz or Kingston:

Holiday Inn. kingston 845 338 0400

Sky Top Motel kingston 845 331 2900 this is on top of a "mountain" over looking kinston.

Super 8 in Kingston 845 338 3078

Super 8 in New Paltz 845 255 8865

oh! and for the big spenders that want all the comfort plus check out the Mohonk Mountain House (http://www.mohonk.com/) in new paltz. AWESOME (and you pay for it) 845 255 1000

these hotels are about 10 min drive from my place.

there is a quaint little motel in high falls (http://www.thehighfallsmotel.com/) NY as well....about 4 miles from me.
eddie

arthur berger
16-Apr-2010, 06:32
Hi Eddie: I would like to show up also. Could you send me directions and what time it is starting. Arthur
Bergersart@aol.com

gbogatko
16-Apr-2010, 06:34
Yep -- I'll be there.

eddie
16-Apr-2010, 10:20
Hi Eddie: I would like to show up also. Could you send me directions and what time it is starting. Arthur
Bergersart@aol.com

check your pm. it starts at dawn....well, will be here at sun up ready to play....

Yep -- I'll be there.

okay! it is always great to have you attend george. this time i will not let the models handle you so rough....LOL!

Flexnib
16-Apr-2010, 18:39
If you could pass along directions I would greatly appreciate it
Arthur

iamjanco
17-Apr-2010, 21:34

); os ti gnitirw rof ekil leef I loof a fo hcum woh enigami ,sdrawkcab siht gnidaer rof loof a re'uoy kniht uoy fI

eddie
22-Apr-2010, 04:24
hello again,

i have invited my friends Dan Burkholder and his wife Jill Burkholder. i am sorry to say Dan will be away on May 1st but i am happy to say Jill will be attending. these two are an authority on digital negs and alt process printing. you all should see there darkroom/computer room. simply marvelous.

i have encouraged Jill to bring a few prints. this would be a great opportunity to "pick her brain". she has such wonderful images and is full of knowledge.

the day is shaping up nicely. see you all there.

eddie

eddie
25-Apr-2010, 01:58
hey all,

anyone coming from the philly area and can pick up a person or two. send me a pm please.

thanks

eddie

sgelb
25-Apr-2010, 19:38
anyone driving up from the NYC area?

eddie
26-Apr-2010, 09:26
[QUOTE=sgelb;583346]anyone driving up from the NYC area?[/QUOTE

lots of people coming form NYC. i will get some one to pm you.

if not the bus stop boarders my property as well. 3rd stop out of NYC. 1.5 hours. rosendale ny.

Flexnib
26-Apr-2010, 21:44
Sent him pm yesterday. Still waiting to hear back

eddie
29-Apr-2010, 03:38
hey all,

1st let me remind everyone to BRING a few prints so others can see what you are doing.

just an update and an informal idea on a schedule.

i will do a wet plate demo at about 11am. the wet plate set up will be available for people to play with all day but i will go over it and answer question then.

it is World Wet Plate Day as well, so at about 3:30pm or so i would like to have a group photo of everyone to submit to the WWPD book that is made. should be a great one.

there will be tables set up so people can buy, sell, and swap what they wish. no set time.

BBQ food will be available all day and into the night. when you are hungry get some food or fire up the grill and cook some. grill master wanted!

i plan to have several raffles/chinese auctions throughout the day so late comers will get in on it as well. lets say one at 1pm, 4pm, and around 7pm.

almost there.

eddie

cdholden
29-Apr-2010, 06:55
I wish I could go. Instead, I'll be doing the family drama thing this weekend, and ultimately attending my niece's first communion.
If you hear about a church whose walls crumbled and collapsed, that would be me entering the sanctuary.

eddie
29-Apr-2010, 08:57
oh! i forgot to say.

the studio and lights will be up and running all day long.

the models will be coming and going all day. there are several.

outdoor shooting is on all day as well.

Louis Pacilla
29-Apr-2010, 09:59
Hi Bro

I'll be there. I'll give you a call in bit. Gonna be a BLAST .

Peace
Louis

Larry Gebhardt
29-Apr-2010, 10:08
eddie, have you already posted the address or directions?

eddie
29-Apr-2010, 14:37
our weekend has started...:)

hurry and get here.....

likeoras
30-Apr-2010, 04:21
Wish I could be there; have fun everyone!

Frank Petronio
30-Apr-2010, 05:03
Howdy,

We will get there about 2pm. I am bringing Cristina and Leah (Velocity) but Leah has to catch a bus back to Philly by 8pm so shoot fast.

Both of these ladies are very experienced professional alt-art models and need to be compensated. Please don't think of them as being like strippers because nothing could be further from the case, but... if you're going to shoot them, think in terms feeding them a steady stream $20 bills.

Cristina is from Dallas. That's her wearing the cowboy hat. Leah is known as Velocity and travels the world as a PAID naked art model. Make sure you measure up. Oh and half her head is shaved and the rest might be pink or orange or something f-ed up.

Sorry I couldn't find any non-tattooed Barbie-Abercrombies ;-) You'll just have to settle for badass.

I will have that black Sinar F1 along, think in terms of feeding me (16) twenty-dollar plus one ten-dollar bills if you want it.

I don't do Wet Plate but it will be interesting to check out -- See ya soon.

Ron McElroy
30-Apr-2010, 19:42
Damn Eddie
Wish Memphis was closer. This sounds like a great gathering!

Frank
Good to see you bring models.

goamules
30-Apr-2010, 20:03
The sun's about rising over there in NY about now, eh? Fun's A'comin!! Wish I could be there too.

eddie
1-May-2010, 04:32
the quiet before the storm.

a few of us had a "mini" party last night to practice up for today....they are still in bed....:

stay tuned as people arrive.

eddie
1-May-2010, 06:17
holy shit! look what louis brought!

alec4444
1-May-2010, 20:25
Fun gathering - thanks Eddie (+ wifey, for tolerating us) for setting this up! Looking forward to seeing some picks that are better than what my Blackberry can do. How's that for setting the bar low! =)

--A

http://www.alec.com/IMG00066_fx.jpg

http://www.alec.com/IMG00070_fx.jpg

eddie
2-May-2010, 04:33
WOW! what a great day!

a very special thanks to Mike at Artcraft Chemicals. he donated all chemicals for the raffle. buy your chemicals from mike!

another thanks to Steve at black art wood craft. hs cameras are simply perfect and beautiful.

thanks to all that showed up and made the day so successful. Thanks to the models Leah and Christina. so beautiful and so professional. thanks to louis and joe from bringing all the cool brass goodies...what a great selection of old brass.

i will post some tin types after the guess wakes up from the scanner room...).
put this date on the calender for may 2011! bigger and better!

eddie

c.d.ewen
2-May-2010, 05:01
QUOTE=eddie;585196]holy shit! look what louis brought![/QUOTE]

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=40090&d=1272719863[

And I am now the extremely happy owner of the second-from-the-left lens - a 16 1/2" Dagor for $50. I still can't beleive it.

Anybody who thought about coming and didn't make it, missed a great time.

Thanks, Eddie!

Charley

Steve Sherman
2-May-2010, 06:22
Looks like a great time Eddie, where'd you learn to party like that?

Cheers

eddie
2-May-2010, 11:02
some quick and dirty scans.

i will print the glass neg. i just wanted to get the scan up. the glass neg is the one with the writing the correct way.

the rest are black aluminum.

thanks

eddie

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/3/5/7/8/5/0/webimg/369734296_o.jpg

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/3/5/7/8/5/0/webimg/369734381_o.jpg

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/3/5/7/8/5/0/webimg/369734422_o.jpg

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/3/5/7/8/5/0/webimg/369734452_o.jpg

eddie
2-May-2010, 13:15
a few more from my good pal Jim Romeo

Frank Petronio
2-May-2010, 19:09
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/data/500/eddies_050110_20.jpg

Uber with a .338

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/data/500/eddies_050110_02.jpg

Velocity

gbogatko
3-May-2010, 06:49
Eddie
http://www.inluxeditions.com/hidden/Caught.jpg

Uber
http://www.inluxeditions.com/hidden/Uber.jpg

Velocity
http://www.inluxeditions.com/hidden/Velocity.jpg

Everything that I think worked... (http://www.inluxeditions.com/hidden/eddie/)

Michael Cienfuegos
3-May-2010, 08:34
Geez, Eddie, you really know how to throw a party. We need something like that here on the Left Coast. I'm fairly new to LF, not really into wet plate, but looking at that use for Everclear, maybe I should get into wet plate. How much of that stuff do you have to drink before using the camera? :D

jaimeb82
3-May-2010, 08:41
I had a great time around Eddie's land, lots to see, beer, food, models, nice temperatures, what else could you need. I made my first wet plate and I am looking to buy a 4x5 holder already, lol

Pete Roody
3-May-2010, 09:36
I had a great time! I want to thank to Eddie and Thanda for putting up with us (again). Great hosts who know how to throw a party.

billschwab
3-May-2010, 10:18
I don't know man... looks like it was almost too good a time. Wish I could have made it, but hopefully there will be a next time.

Where'd the crazy hair go Eddie!!! You look respectable now. Bummer. :)

Kirk Gittings
3-May-2010, 10:42
Where'd the crazy hair go Eddie!!! You look respectable now. Bummer.

Eddieeee, my man. What's up with the new doo?

arthur berger
3-May-2010, 12:58
Many thanks to Eddie and his wife for hosting an awesome day. It was geat fun and I learned a few things too. I look forward to the next gathering and hope to spend more time with you all.

Steve Sherman
3-May-2010, 14:47

Where's the hair?? This have anything to do with your re election campaign for Mayor!!! My vote goes to the original Eddie

bob carnie
3-May-2010, 14:53
I would vote for Eddie for Mayor.

Where's the hair?? This have anything to do with your re election campaign for Mayor!!! My vote goes to the original Eddie

frank hoerauf
3-May-2010, 17:00
Thanks Eddie, It was a great day, Lots of lenses for sale by Louis,Eddie,and Joe. Beautiful models , thanks to Frank Petronio. Great food , thanks to Thanda. Great wetplate demonstration by crazy Eddie. The weather was perfect....soooooo when do we get to do this again????????? Thanks again Eddie !!

eddie
3-May-2010, 17:03
Eddieeee, my man. What's up with the new doo?

lost a bet!

had to go to court. thanks for the vote!

I would vote for Eddie for Mayor.

on my way to fame and politics....

The weather was perfect....

i told "you" i got a guy in the weather....really!

eddie
3-May-2010, 17:06
thanks everyone. i have to thank the people who came....THEY made it the success it was...

Joe S gets the award for the 1st to arrive....AND the last to leave! AND he came from the farthest away....Kalamazoo Mi to NY....in the magic bus no less! well done JS!

thanks everyone. i will be doing it agian....BETTER...next year. you have been warned. i will coordinate it with WWPD as well.

eddie

eddie
3-May-2010, 17:11
ps. still drinking off the keg! can anyone help?

Joe Smigiel
3-May-2010, 17:33
Joe S gets the award for the 1st to arrive....AND the last to leave! AND he came from the farthest away....Kalamazoo Mi to NY....in the magic bus no less! well done JS!

The prize is the 2C, n'est-ce pas?

eddie
3-May-2010, 18:04
The prize is the 2C, n'est-ce pas?

as the old adage goes....the lens is in the mail....:)

cdholden
3-May-2010, 20:56
I don't know man... looks like it was almost too good a time. Wish I could have made it, but hopefully there will be a next time.

Bill,
Is this the Eddie you're thinking of?
http://ch3guest.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/iron_maiden-eddie.jpg

Larry Gebhardt
4-May-2010, 06:32
Eddie and Thanda, thanks for having all of us over. I had a good time, and it was nice to put a face to many of the names here. Here are a few pictures from the day.

Larry Gebhardt
4-May-2010, 06:34
a few more

Larry Gebhardt
4-May-2010, 06:35
last few

jaimeb82
4-May-2010, 18:43
my first tintype ever, it was kind of easy to follow the steps right after Eddie's explanations, I am looking to learn a bit more about this process

eddie
5-May-2010, 03:49
interesting mustache! looks like that is the one that fell out of the plate holder...:)

eddie
5-May-2010, 16:55
a moment of silence...the keg is dead! ...it took sometime....

jaimeb82
6-May-2010, 05:58
4x5 Efke

jaimeb82
6-May-2010, 07:01
a moment of silence...the keg is dead! ...it took sometime....

make sure you pee it all!

imagedowser
12-May-2010, 15:52
Thank you St Eddie of the Wetplate. .... a great time, great people, met many I've respected for their sharing of knowledge on the net .... so respectful for what you and your wife do to further the experience of analog photography, ULF, wetplate, ... of the craft and the serious party. Most glad to have you as a neighbor (... well, same county!) . Bill

frank hoerauf
10-Jul-2010, 17:38
fun times

frank hoerauf
10-Jul-2010, 17:41
eddie

eddie
10-Jul-2010, 17:42
ok frank

frank hoerauf
10-Jul-2010, 17:43
bit e