PDA

View Full Version : Paris with 8x10 - what to consider?

tbirke
10-Feb-2010, 06:15
Hi,

I plan to go to Paris in spring and whant to take my 8x10 with me. I have read some threads on the forum and am curious about some things.

- Someone wrote that tripod use is forbidden - what is the background of this statement, what are the practical consequences?

- Would it be possible to shoot from Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe or Tour Montparnasse? I checked the site and they said nothing about commercial photography. (since 8x10 is so large, everybody believes you do it for money, even if it is only for your self) - I recall my memories of New York last year, where it was absolutely impossible to shoot from observation decks since they all had very strict rules on commercial photography and permitted tripod use

- Anything special with La Defense? I have the impression that it is like Canary Wharf - where I have been harrassed by security guards nonstop - anything the like to expect at La Defense?

Thanks for replies!

Dominique Cesari
10-Feb-2010, 06:50
Hi Thomas,

From years, taking photographs with a tripod is free in the streets in Paris, since you don't disturb traffic or pedestrians. But this doesn't applies to parks and public buildings (of which museums) where an authorization is mandatory, and sometimes photography is forbidden. So, don't hope to grew on Tour Eiffel, Arc de Triomphe etc.. with your 8x10 camera. The inner yards of the Louvre (Cour Carrée, cour du Carrousel) and the gardens surounding the Tour Eiffel (Champ de Mars), though they aren't gated, aren't free, and I have been gently ordered to fold my tripod and camera.

In La Défense I never noticed any obstruction to the use of a tripod in the outer space. I took some photographs wit 4x5 and 8x10. Again, this doesn't apply to inner space, so don't hope to climb on the top of La Grande Arche with your camera.

This topic has been discussed in some threads.

Philippe Grunchec
10-Feb-2010, 07:00
Many buildings are protected, which means that you can take photos of them for your personal (not commercial!) use only!

Dominique Cesari
10-Feb-2010, 07:05
Hi Thomas,

From years, taking photographs with a tripod is free in the streets in Paris, since you don't disturb traffic or pedestrians. But this doesn't applies to parks and public buildings (of which museums) where an authorization is mandatory, and sometimes photography is forbidden. So, don't hope to grew on Tour Eiffel, Arc de Triomphe etc.. with your 8x10 camera. The inner yards of the Louvre (Cour Carrée, cour du Carrousel) and the gardens surounding the Tour Eiffel (Champ de Mars), though they aren't gated, aren't free, and I have been gently ordered to fold my tripod and camera.

In La Défense I never noticed any obstruction to the use of a tripod in the outer space. I took some photographs wit 4x5 and 8x10. Again, this doesn't apply to inner space, so don't hope to climb on the top of La Grande Arche with your camera.

This topic has been discussed in some threads.

eddie
12-Feb-2010, 04:24
i was in paris last june. i set up my tripod in several places including the Louvre. i shot in and around the glass triangle (outside) with my 4x5 camera and tripod. no worries. i set up on other smaller streets and at another famous building (forgot the name right now) again with no problems. i hurt my back while i was there and was in bed for several days so i did not get out and around as much as i would have liked.

have fun. when will you be there? i will be back the 1st week of june 2010 for more shooting with my 4x5. keep us posted.

tom north
17-Feb-2010, 14:15
I've shot 5 x 7 in several places in Paris, notably in cathedrals, on the top of museums, the top of Notre Dame, etc. A priest interrogated me once but when I told him I was not a pro and I was only photographing architectural details he was fine. I shot all over Paris last summer with a Mamyia 7 and tripod and had no trouble anywhere. If you are somewhere crowded and are taking up space and time, you will be asked to pack up and go anywhere you are, which is what happened to me in the catacombs. The improtant thing is to be polite, know some French and be thick skinned about being told to leave. You will always be able to go somewhere else to get some good shoots, although you may not be able to go everywhere you want. Besides, the best places are off the beaten path in any city. The French are a lot less afraid of big cameras and tripods than the Americans so you will enjoy the shooting environment and will always get something interesting. And watch out for the pick pockets and thieves.

NoBob
19-Feb-2010, 00:41
Over Christmas, about three years back, I set my tripod up near Notre Dame and stood waiting for the right shot for about four hours. People stopped and talked, a couple passed me their P&S and asked me to take their picture...

It's not Britain.

tgtaylor
19-Feb-2010, 11:06
Thomas,

Take a smaller camera - like a 645 or 35mm - that you can handhold for those locations that won't allow a tripod.

Enjoyed your blog!

tbirke
2-Mar-2010, 06:27
Thanks for the answers everyone. I just came back and can mirror what you said - on the streets, absolutely no problems. Noone even talked to me - in Germany I can not set up the camera without anybody asking what I am doing.

In La Défense there were a lot of armed guards around, but they completely ignored me, so they know the difference between photography and terrorism. Now I can't wait to get the developed chromes back.