PDA

View Full Version : Northern California

MyNikonLens
9-Feb-2010, 18:47
Anyone from Northern California area near San Francisco using Large Format?

dsphotog
9-Feb-2010, 20:49
I'm in Modesto, is that close enough? If not,
there are 2 excellent Meetup groups in the bay area.
One was founded by tgtaylor, Tom is active on this forum.
David Silva

Brian Vuillemenot
9-Feb-2010, 21:00
There are lots of LFers in the SF Bay area; probably more than any other part of the country (or maybe even the world).

MyNikonLens
9-Feb-2010, 21:04
I'm in Modesto, is that close enough? If not,
there are 2 excellent Meetup groups in the bay area.
One was founded by tgtaylor, Tom is active on this forum.
David Silva

Yes Modesto is fine. I am in the Pleasanton area. I just found out today that Calypso has closed down. So where do you guys get your E-6 processed? There was a lab in Dublin but they don't do single sheets anymore unless you have a bulk. So I was taking it to Calypso and now they're closed.

I would love to get together with folks and go shoot some stuff.

Roger Thoms
9-Feb-2010, 22:23
Lightwave's in SF and Berkeley, they do E-6 up to 8x10. http://www.lightwavesimaging.com/

Roger

Jim collum
9-Feb-2010, 23:38
I'm in Santa Cruz, but shoot mostly digital LF (Betterlight). If I shoot film, it's Tri-x and I develop myself.

jim

pocketfulladoubles
10-Feb-2010, 15:07
Yes Modesto is fine. I am in the Pleasanton area. I just found out today that Calypso has closed down. So where do you guys get your E-6 processed? There was a lab in Dublin but they don't do single sheets anymore unless you have a bulk. So I was taking it to Calypso and now they're closed.

I'm in Lafayette. I use Action Photo in Concord. They do E6 and C41 up to 4x5. I don't believe they do 8x10's though. They generally have stuff back same day or within one day, open Saturday mornings, and are friendly - good lab.

Vaughn
10-Feb-2010, 16:30
I am in the real Northern California -- up there beyond Santa Rosa and behind the Redwood Curtain. ;) There are a just a few of us LF users up here. Welcome to the club!

Vaughn

Jack Dahlgren
11-Feb-2010, 09:41
I'm in San Mateo. I think there are probably quite a few in this part of the world.

dwross
11-Feb-2010, 11:13
I am in the real Northern California -- up there beyond Santa Rosa and behind the Redwood Curtain. ;) There are a just a few of us LF users up here. Welcome to the club!

Vaughn

I'll put in a plug here for Vaughn and the redwoods that he photographs to such perfection. Vaughn is hosting a weekend of photography involving many large cameras at Humboldt State University, Oct 9-10, 2010. I'm coming down from the Central Oregon Coast. So, speaking of which: are there any LF'ers in my area. I know a couple of you in Portland and the WilVal, but anyone I don't know (yet!) on the beach? I'd love to get together a smallish group to photograph mid-summer sometime. I'd especially like this to be an opportunity for other women LF photographers to have company (male and female) in some of the more photogenic isolated areas. Also, I'm primarily a dry plate photographer, and I'm always happy to share the gist of the process on field trips.

Denise

ric_kb
11-Feb-2010, 16:54
am also in bay area... shoot several times a week between mendocino and carmel, inland to the 'boring' parts, aka, Los Banos etc.
tomorrow, head far inland for the first time this year to Lone Pine area...
the only time I've seen LFs in field have been Carmel to Santa Cruz, but they do sometimes free range at low levels.

11-Feb-2010, 23:22
Superior Color Lab on Lincoln Avenue in San Jose.

Graham Patterson
12-Feb-2010, 14:03
I'm in Richmond. 4x5 monochrome.

I just can't get the hang of this colour business. Now I hear they have moving pictures...

h2oman
12-Feb-2010, 14:24
I'll put in a plug here for Vaughn and the redwoods that he photographs to such perfection. Vaughn is hosting a weekend of photography involving many large cameras at Humboldt State University, Oct 9-10, 2010. I'm coming down from the Central Oregon Coast. So, speaking of which: are there any LF'ers in my area. I know a couple of you in Portland and the WilVal, but anyone I don't know (yet!) on the beach? I'd love to get together a smallish group to photograph mid-summer sometime. I'd especially like this to be an opportunity for other women LF photographers to have company (male and female) in some of the more photogenic isolated areas. Also, I'm primarily a dry plate photographer, and I'm always happy to share the gist of the process on field trips.

Denise

I could potentially be up for some of those things. Also, if folks ever want to come inland to anywhere from the North Umpqua River to Mount Shasta, I'd be for meeting up.

Atul Mohidekar
12-Feb-2010, 16:30

Since you asked...

We have an LF-specific photography meetup group in the SF Bay Area that was started recently, about couple of months back. One of the main purposes of starting this group was exactly that - meet with other LFers in this area. We have met a couple of times and it has been great! Our next meetup is a field trip. All of you interested in LF photography who live in the SF Bay Area and around, please join the group and connect with other LFers. You will find more information about the meetup group and about our past meetups here:

http://www.meetup.com/SFBay-LFers/

Here is the message board thread about the upcoming field trip:

http://www.meetup.com/SFBay-LFers/messages/boards/thread/8483416

// Atul

Lenny Eiger
12-Feb-2010, 17:49

I'm in Petaluma, for those unfamiliar about an hour North of SF.

Lenny

dwross
13-Feb-2010, 06:25
I could potentially be up for some of those things. Also, if folks ever want to come inland to anywhere from the North Umpqua River to Mount Shasta, I'd be for meeting up.

Excellent. That range covers some beautiful territory. I've driven it many times, but never with the time and intention for LF. If this summer doesn't come together, I'll try to drum up a potential gang when I'm at HSU in October.

d

Jim Fitzgerald
13-Feb-2010, 08:08

Denise

Okay, I know I'm from the So Cal area but I would love to come up for this event. I could bring the 8x10,11x14 and 8x20 cameras. I've been promising Vaughn that I would come back up. Love shooting in the Redwoods that time of year.

Jim

Bob Salomon
13-Feb-2010, 09:44
Are you aware that the NANPA (North American Nature Photographers Association) show is next week in Reno? It isn't all that far from N. CA.

Ivan J. Eberle
13-Feb-2010, 13:42
Greens Camera World in Monterey has an E6 dip & dunk line with several runs per week, and they do 4x5 very well.

r,l, Vigurs
13-Feb-2010, 21:16
I'm shooting 4x5 down here in Santa Cuz. What camera are you using? Lenses? The Monterey Bay has many photographic opportunites.

tgtaylor
12-Mar-2010, 11:13
I'm in the Sf Bay and shoot 4x5 B&W, Color Neg, E-6, and IR.

Perhaps we can schedule an outing like the DFW group. Anyone interested?

John Hennessy
12-Mar-2010, 11:33
Viewpoint Photographic Arts Center was mostly LF in the beginning and still is to a large extent. But we don't discriminate!

https://www.viewpointgallery.org/

Always two shows in our galleries plus drawers full of prints. Many workshops and field trips and lectures and critiques. All volunteers and non-profit. Very classy group with over 500 members from all over but mostly Northern California.

In the heart of Midtown Sacramento. Come on Second Saturday or any time.

brianam
12-Mar-2010, 17:30
Another one here in San Francisco! Non-professional, shooting 4x5 and 5x7. Mostly B&W.
I bring the LF, or at least a Mamiya 7 on many hikes in the area. but mostly I love getting back down to the SoCal desert; Mojave, DVNP, JTNP, Anza-Borrego, etc.

I also use Lightwaves for my needs, as another photog has mentioned in this thread.

lilmsmaggie
12-Mar-2010, 17:40
I'll put in a plug here for Vaughn and the redwoods that he photographs to such perfection. Vaughn is hosting a weekend of photography involving many large cameras at Humboldt State University, Oct 9-10, 2010. Denise

I'm in Elk Grove, just south of Sacramento. Is there an official announcement for this event at HSU in October?

dwross
13-Mar-2010, 07:44
I'm in Elk Grove, just south of Sacramento. Is there an official announcement for this event at HSU in October?

I think the final details are still being decided before an Official official announcement gets posted. This will be our third annual event. I hosted the first one in Newport, Oregon two years ago and Jeannette Altman at UW Vancouver and Robert Brummitt hosted last year's in Washington.

For me, both events have been energizing and educational (i.e. a lot of fun). I don't think you can go wrong by putting the weekend on your calendar, even before the exact lineup is known.

Hope to see you there!
Denise

lilmsmaggie
13-Mar-2010, 12:11
Thanks Denise, I will put it on my calendar. Sounds like fun as well as educational like you say.

Dwain

jamiehughes
14-Jul-2016, 08:44
heading down to the bay this Saturday 07/16/16, doing a film photo walk, 11:30 am at Dolores Park. I don't see much going on up here in Foresthill, Auburn so I have to stretch my travels.

rich815
14-Jul-2016, 09:06
heading down to the bay this Saturday 07/16/16, doing a film photo walk, 11:30 am at Dolores Park. I don't see much going on up here in Foresthill, Auburn so I have to stretch my travels.

LF at Dolores Park? That should be interesting. :-)

Don't point your camera at the children's playground area, trust me on this.

DrTang
14-Jul-2016, 18:13
and get some pokemon while you're at it

akaa
19-Jul-2016, 13:28
Hey Jamie,

I'm in Lincoln and shoot a bit of 4x5. Let me know if you'd like to meet sometime.

jamiehughes
20-Jul-2016, 06:23
that would be fantastic! Wife and I are always over there for the vintage markets. my 4x5 is a pinhole (Ilford Obscura), I'm looking to invest in good starter 4x5 camera, maybe you can point me in the right direction.

angusparker
20-Jul-2016, 17:25
I'm in SF and shoot 4x5 up to ULF. Any excuse to escape my home office for a few hours during the day! Delores Park isn't necessarily the best - lots of people and kids at the playground. How did it go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CedarMesaPhoto
21-Jul-2016, 10:36
I will be at Donner Pass in September, after Labor Day, with a 4x5. If any of you want to meet up there just let me know. I could post it as a regular meeting on here if there is any interest. It would probably be mid month. Chris

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk