PDA

View Full Version : developng in HC 110 in 110 degree F

StarsInHerEyes89
8-Feb-2010, 08:09
Ok so im doing a project. I want to develop tmax 100 film in hc 110 dilution b in 110 degrees f. where do i start with developing time???

Bruce Watson
8-Feb-2010, 08:17
Ok so im doing a project. I want to develop tmax 100 film in hc 110 dilution b in 110 degrees f. where do i start with developing time???

Extremely short. Maybe 30 seconds? Your results will likely be awful. The developer won't have sufficient time to be fully absorbed into the emulsion. Uneven development is a given. Highlight areas will likely be a mottled mess. OTOH, you'll pretty much eliminate the possibility of bromide drag. ;)

Pick a time. Try it and see. What do you have to loose?

Louie Powell
8-Feb-2010, 08:59
You might want to explain what you are trying to accomplish.

HC110 is a great developer, but one of the things that one must deal with when using it is that it typically delivers a short development time. There is often a compromise between letting the development go long enough to get even results, and not letting it go so long that you sacrifice contrast. And elevating the temperature will make that time even shorter.

My personal standard for 35mm TMY is 4.5 minutes in HC110 dilution B at 68 degrees. Most people want development to go at least 5 minutes for uniformity. And according to the development dial in my 30+ year old Kodak Darkroom Data Guide, if the temperature is elevated to 110 degrees, the time would need to be shortened to significantly less than 2 minutes.

Bruce Watson
8-Feb-2010, 09:16
And according to the development dial in my 30+ year old Kodak Darkroom Data Guide, if the temperature is elevated to 110 degrees, the time would need to be shortened to significantly less than 2 minutes.

That's interesting. Makes it sound like it really is diffusion limited at high temps. That is, limited by the time it takes for the developer to diffuse into the emulsion.

David de Gruyl
8-Feb-2010, 09:16
My personal standard for 35mm TMY is 4.5 minutes in HC110 dilution B at 68 degrees. Most people want development to go at least 5 minutes for uniformity. And according to the development dial in my 30+ year old Kodak Darkroom Data Guide, if the temperature is elevated to 110 degrees, the time would need to be shortened to significantly less than 2 minutes.

I got less than one. (1:10 at 38C. 110F is 43C)

David de Gruyl
8-Feb-2010, 09:20
That's interesting. Makes it sound like it really is diffusion limited at high temps. That is, limited by the time it takes for the developer to diffuse into the emulsion.

I am sure of it.

Ken Lee
8-Feb-2010, 10:35
Dilution b is the problem. Save some money, keep your high temperature, but use a weaker solution. Let the film sit in the developer for several minutes.

Kevin Crisp
8-Feb-2010, 10:59
What is the effect of dunking unhardened film in a solution that hot?

Robert Hughes
8-Feb-2010, 12:39
Of course this will push TMax 100 film up to ISO 110...

StarsInHerEyes89
8-Feb-2010, 12:49
ok so im doing a project for experimental photo and what i want to do is develpop in this hot of a developer to get a "dripping" or "melting" effect on my film...ive seen it doen before and it looks really cool soo im liking the dilution h answer ....but again how long

Ed Richards
8-Feb-2010, 12:55
Soak it in hot water before or after developing, but before fixing. I bet that will give you the effect without screwing up the development so much.

StarsInHerEyes89
8-Feb-2010, 13:05
so if im soaking in hot water before i develop should i do everything normally?? after

dsphotog
8-Feb-2010, 13:12
ok so im doing a project for experimental photo and what i want to do is develpop in this hot of a developer to get a "dripping" or "melting" effect on my film...ive seen it doen before and it looks really cool soo im liking the dilution h answer ....but again how long

ok, now we see your motivation-
Its an experiment, try it out on non-critical film.
Sounds like a photoshop "effect", but I would like to see your result.

I have done alternating hot/cold film processing, to achieve a high grain/reticulation of the emulsion.

Kevin Crisp
8-Feb-2010, 13:34
Some print drying cabinets specialize in creating this "effect."

ki6mf
8-Feb-2010, 14:44
You may want to develop the film at 68 degrees develop for you normal time and heat the Fixer to a higher temperature, I don't have a suggestion for what temperature that should be.

The effect you are looking for is reticulation. Which I define as a running of the emulsion due to higher temperature which then reattaches to the base when it cools.

The above posts are correct about the hi temperature causing to short a time for the film to get both the shadows and highlights developed. Reticulation can also cause grainy negatives. Keep in mind the negative is permanently altered so shoot back up negatives.

Post what you come up with too!

I think I now agree with the post about soaking it in Hot Water after developing. This allows for the grain you want and still get the "runny" effect!