PDA

View Full Version : Sinar lensboard symmetry question

Michael Nagl
8-Feb-2010, 02:04
Dear colleagues,

the Shen Hao TFC810-A looks like the camera that suits my needs - almost. A little extra shift and fall would not be bad. As it uses those big Sinar lensboards, I think I could get or make lensboards with the holes offset from the center (I did that when I was using the 150mm lens on a Wehman as it would give me some 3cm of extra rise without compressing that long bellows too much). But this is only an option if I can then mount that lensboard in all the four different ways, the lens offset to the left, right, up or down. Is this possible?

Thank you in advance
Michael

Dave Dawson
8-Feb-2010, 09:42
Michael, A Sinar lensboard is symmetrical.

Cheers Dave

ic-racer
8-Feb-2010, 10:13
Another interesting thing would be to make the "Technica Adapter" board with the opening all the way at the bottom. Then you could keep your lenses on un-modified Technica boards and just have a single offset adapter board that you could rotate around as needed.

Though, I have the FCL-810A and could not imagine needing more movement.

Bob McCarthy
8-Feb-2010, 10:23
Undrilled boards should be available. They are for most brands. Then you can do it your way.

bob

Dominique Cesari
8-Feb-2010, 11:51
Here is a photograph of a Horseman lensboard with a hole offset. It has been drilled in a blank lensboard with a pilot hole, so it couldn't be more shifted than 15 mm or so. I had it done exactly for the purpose you have in mind, get an extra shift with a short lens (155 mm) which compressed the bellows on a Tachihara 8x10. Be carefull not to over-offset the hole with big glass, as the cells may protude on the front part of the camera.

http://www.dmin-dmax.fr/images/chambre/planchette_decentree.jpg

Michael Nagl
8-Feb-2010, 12:24
Thank you all!
ic-racer, thatīs a good idea with the offset adaptor, even more so as my lenses are on technika boards and I intend to keep my Linhof.

Bob McCarthy
8-Feb-2010, 15:09
Then you could keep your lenses on un-modified Technica boards and just have a single offset adapter board that you could rotate around as needed.

Though, I have the FCL-810A and could not imagine needing more movement.

Linhof boards are not symmetrical and can not be rotated. I suppose the sinar style board could.

bob