PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Tripod Advice

Joshua Dunn
5-Feb-2010, 14:21
Sorry if this post is redundant but I did search the forums and couldn’t quite find the answer I was looking for.

I am making a few upgrades to my Large Format gear to include a new carbon fiber tripod and a new head. I was planning on trying a ball head as the newer ones seem rock solid when they are locked down and I want to make my system fit in one large back pack. Having a tripod that did not have handles protruding would be a great help. Hence a ball head. I am not a gram counter but do want the system to be light weight, if someone has a better suggestion that costs an extra pound I’m open to that. I shoot mostly landscapes, found pictorials and architecture. I shoot a Sinar F2 and my lens kit goes from 38mm to 600mm, so any tripod / head combo I decide on has to be rigid.

I’m looking at the Gitzo GT2540G Mountaineer (It seems to be the older version of the GT2541G but a couple hundred bucks cheaper) and the Bogen Manfrotto 468MGRC4. One of the reasons I chose this head is it has the same plate to mount the camera on as the heads I have now.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kirk Gittings
5-Feb-2010, 14:28
Having been down that road a couple of times, I don't recommend a ball head for architecture. A geared head like the Manfroto 410 allows you to fine tweak the leveling far better than a ball head and has no knobs sticking out to speak of either. Because of that the 410 has become my standard head on both my "close to car" and "far from car" tripods.

Drew Wiley
5-Feb-2010, 14:31
I used the F2 with a 28" bellows, mounted only to the Sinar rail block (no secondary
head of any kind) and the very first Gitzo Mountaineer fiber tripod model made - about
3 lbs. I cut the center column threads off and used some teflon washers etc and ran
a short section of stainless 3/8 rod thru. Was totally stable, even at max extension.
Nowadays I use the same tripod for the Ebony in the mtns, and sometimes for MF.
For max stability, I'm a strong believer in leaving the ball head home. Never missed a
shot by not having it along. The Sinar rail clamp is plenty quick, unless you are shooting almost straight down.

anchored
5-Feb-2010, 15:07
Don't choose a ball head based on the mounting plates you now have. Most heads let you change mounting plates to suit other systems... I use an Arca-Swiss ball head adapted with Manfrotto plates.

If looking to save weight for a ball head... be sure to look at Markin... they're made of titanium, are considerably lighter than others, and lock to the camera (if using their plates) as good or better than any other I've seen.

Michael Rosenberg
5-Feb-2010, 15:18
I would recommend the GT2542L - it is more money but the length extended is quite good. The new leg locks on the Gitzo's are really nice, and the quick lock-unlocking of the legs is very convenient.

And I second Kirk's recommendation of the 410. I have had one for 5 yrs and find it to be invaluable for architectural photography. Recently I added a Feisol panning base http://www.feisol.net/panning-base-c-6.html?osCsid=gmfmacsvdgf2pcabs14c8t5g05 to reverse the camera on the head (without detaching it) in order to point the camera at a greater elevation. I could not get use to a ball head - even in the field.

Mike

Walter Calahan
5-Feb-2010, 15:19
Ball heads drive me nuts when shooting LF. Can never level the camera properly. Make an adjustment in one direction, and end up throwing the camera off line in an other direction.

Get a traditional head and unscrew the handles when transporting it in you backpack.

jeroldharter
5-Feb-2010, 15:45
I have two Feisol carbon fiber tripods and they are excellent.

Ball heads win on weight and compact size. Pan tilt heads win on precision but are heavier and bulkier. Depends on what you like. For ball heads, Arca Swiss is hard to beat. The others are knock-offs. For pan tilt heads, I like my big Gitzo (?1524) which is solid as a rock.

Joshua Dunn
5-Feb-2010, 17:15
Walter, while your idea of unscrewing the handles on a pan / tilt head is efficient and simple but it will not meet the needs of someone trying to complicate their lives with large format. Seriously that's a great idea and not one I had thought of.

Drew, I have thought of just using a set of tripod legs but thought eventually (like when a head I could use is hours away) I would run into a situation where I would have to have one. If I ever step up to ULF that that’s an approach I may take.

Kirk, great advice. I had not considered a geared head. I like the Manfrotto geared heads but worry that the 410 may not support enough weight for the way I sometimes photograph. The 405 supports 5.5 more pounds but is $180 greater cost that a 410. But for me that may be the way to go.

All of you have been a great help. Thank you.

Merg Ross
5-Feb-2010, 18:04
I agree with Kirk, the 410 is hard to beat if you anticipate doing any architectural photography. In fact, I would stay away from a ball head for LF. They are fine for MF; I use one on a Feisol tripod for that format. Have you considered a Feisol tripod?

Chris Strobel
5-Feb-2010, 18:22
I have two Feisol carbon fiber tripods and they are excellent.

Same here.I bought the biggest Feisol they make last year, and put a RRS BH-55 ball head on it.I've been very very satisfied with the setup.

Frank Petronio
5-Feb-2010, 19:08
Jeez if you're already using a Sinar then you really should consider the Sinar Pan-Tilt Head ahead of everything else. Yes it has a modest handle but it is very compact, robust, and lightweight. It is also simple and faster to use with the Sinar than anything else.

I can't say it strongly enough...

But then I'd steer you towards the 3-series Gitzos or the 38mm Fiesols too. The 2-series might be rated strong enough and I know there are people who shoot 7x17s off them, but architecture with a 600mm lens? I wouldn't skimp on the tripod.

tgtaylor
5-Feb-2010, 22:14
For tripod, I'd recommend the Gitzo G1348 without center column. This tripod, recently discontinued, is rock solid, extends to almost 6' without a center column, and folds to a compact 21 or so inches. It fits perfectly in a tripod holster such as those found on Lowepro packs. If you are looking for a brand new tripod, I'd give serious attention to the Gitzo replacement for this tripod.

I agree with Kirk and the others on getting a pan/tilt head for architecture work. I use a Manfratto 329RC4 Low Profile pan/tile head with my Toyo Robos and it is far more precise, if slower, than a ball head - just the ticket for architecture. As I never thought about unscrewing the handles before reading this thread, I'm definitely going to try that out. (Thanks for that post :) )

As far as ball heads, I recommend the Arca Swiss zp-sp or equivalent. With the G1348this head will hold a lot of weight rock-solid off-axis. For example, a Pentax 67II camera with attached 400mm Pentax 67 lens (~8lbs for the lens) off axis in portrait mode is a piece of cake. Zero movement when that big focal plane shutter whacks. Of course I always use MLU and manually lock the shutter down.

Merg Ross
5-Feb-2010, 22:36
I agree with Kirk and the others on getting a pan/tilt head for architecture work. I use a Manfratto 329RC4 Low Profile pan/tile head with my Toyo Robos and it is far more precise, if slower, than a ball head - just the ticket for architecture.

I agree, the 329RC4 is also an excellent head. Not light, but low profile with spirit levels, and a joy to use in the field.

welly
6-Feb-2010, 04:54
The best advice I could give is go for a 4 section tripod as opposed to a 3 section as I did. My tripod, stable that it is (a Manfrotto 055CX3), is either knee high, waist high or above my head. A 4 section tripod would give a little more flexibility plus fold a little smaller.

Arne Croell
6-Feb-2010, 05:11
I can't stand ballheads for my view camera. Linhof makes a 3-way head (03663) that does not have handles sticking out, is not too heavy (around 800g), and can handle 4x5 and 5x7 with ease, I even had 8x10 on it. See https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=705. Of course it comes at Linhof prices.

cjbroadbent
6-Feb-2010, 07:07
A 5lb. Vinten carbon video tripod (here) (http://www.vinten.com/product/75mm-bowl-pozi-loc-tripods). Again, either no head or a lowprofile 2-way video head.
The bowl gets you level.
I use one every day. Studio columns, Foba, Gizo gather dust ever since I got it.

Greg Miller
6-Feb-2010, 09:22
If you go for a ball head, certainly check out the Really Right Stuff line. I found the BH55 to be far superior to the several Arca Swiss ball heads that I have used. The RRS is very well made and has truly silky smooth ball movement.

As a landscape photographer, I have never had a problem using a ball head. I think it comes down to personal preference. If you have used a ball head and found that it worked for you, then there is no reason not to use one.

Joshua Dunn
6-Feb-2010, 10:33
Again thanks to all for the advice.

I think I’m getting away from using a ball head and stepping up to a geared head. I may just get a carbon fiber tripod with a geared column and a match it with a geared head for architecture and keep using my oversized aluminum Bogen tripod and head combo for use with longer lenses (480mm and 600mm). I guess I’m trying to come up with a one size fits all solution, but the more I read and research it I should just brace myself for a two tripod setup.

Frank, I do shoot with a 600mm lens on occasion but usually not for architecture. I have thought of getting a Sinar Pan Tilt head but am having a lot of trouble finding one used. But if I ever do I’ll be sure to grab one. The Bogen I use now is extremely overbuilt so I wasn’t skimping on the tripod, I’m just trying to lighten my load somewhat. Sometimes I even use a Bogen Manfrotto Magic Arm which clamps on the monorail of my Sinar and the forward facing tripod leg. Between that and two rail clamps on securing the rail to a plate which then is attached to the tripod it’s solid as a rock. I’ll post a picture the next time I set it up. It’s a little hard to explain but once you see it you understand it.

Christopher, the Vinten Carbon Fiber tripods are awesome but out of my price range. I’ll definitely keep them in mind for the future. They seem a little overkill for a 4x5 or 5x7 with short lenses but for longer heavier lenses (my longer lenses are process lenses) it seems like a great solution.

Tgtaylor, I do have the Manfrotto 329RC4 (two of them in fact) and they are a great head. I was just looking for something without handles that stick out at all (even though they don’t stick out far on a 329RC4) but with the “just unscrew them” solution (I feel silly for not thinking of that myself) I think I’ll still use the 329RC4 for shooting with longer lenses. I had not even considered Kirk’s suggestion of a geared head until he offered it. That seems a perfect solution for architecture work.

evan clarke
6-Feb-2010, 10:59
Gitzo 3540 xls and an Arca Cube. I have been chided about the cost of this setup but would have saved lots in the long run if it were the first one I bought..Evan Clarke

tgtaylor
6-Feb-2010, 12:12
Wow! If I were in the market for a tripod, I'd seriously consider that GT3541XLS Gitzo. Why? Well the maximum height of my current tripod (Gitzo G1348) places the tripod plate in the middle of my forehead and over my head with the ball head plate. So at first impression it would seem that I would have seldom use for a greater height. But my "Christmas Present" was a pair of Fujinon 16x70 FMT binoculars for astronomy and a parallelogram mount http://www.telescope.com/control/accessories/mounts-and-tripods/orion-paragon-plus-binocular-mount-without-tripod for comfortable viewing. The G1348, while providing excellent height capability for most photography applications, just doesn't have the necessary height capability for a lot of astronomical viewing which is directed towards the zenith. But my Manfratto 475B does and the geared head makes viewing different objects at varying heights above the horizon a snap! For example, you can view an object directly at the zenith while standing under the binoculars and looking up. A basketball player, though, would need a chair to sit in.

The assumption made in the above is that a geared column can be attached to the GT3541XLS. If not, then 2 tripods are required.

cjbroadbent
6-Feb-2010, 12:58
I was keeping quiet about my Cube. It sets a bad example to the young.

Frank Petronio
6-Feb-2010, 13:50
I used to have that same XLS tripod and sold it for the cash since it is expensive. But... it is the best all around tripod I ever used. If you can swing it...

I notice a lot of the nature guys here seem content with 60" tall tripods but having the ability to go 7-8 feet is very useful for architecture and shooting over fences, ground cover, etc. I used to use a giant Gitzo 504 when I shot architecture for $ and that went 12' and I often used it all of it.

Tall tripods are also good for slopes when you want the camera at eye-level but you can extend a leg downslope a couple of feet.

I'd still hold out for the Sinar head ;-)

Sorry, your pack will get heavier but your waller lighter ;-)