PDA

View Full Version : Ken Kitano

Dirk Rösler
4-Feb-2010, 19:39
Hello,

we have just published an extended piece on Ken Kitano, a Japanese photographer that has received quite a lot of attention recently. He shoots LF and we left the images as large as we could as they are a joy to view, even on the web:

http://www.japanexposures.com/tag/ken-kitano/

I hope you find this as interesting as we did researching and producing the articles.

Dirk

Frank Petronio
4-Feb-2010, 20:45
Thanks, I appreciate his work

They must sell a lot of ND filters in Japan lol

Merg Ross
4-Feb-2010, 21:42
[QUOTE=Dirk Rösler;556021] He shoots LF and we left the images as large as we could as they are a joy to view, even on the web:

They are not a joy to view on the web, as they are larger than my monitor!

Were all of these photographs made with large format cameras?

Thanks for the post, there is some fine imagery presented.

Dirk Rösler
4-Feb-2010, 23:00
I apologise for not considering the size of your screen!

I am not sure whether all of them were made with LF, in fact not even sure of the size - and let's face it, it doesn't really matter.

ldhayden
4-Feb-2010, 23:58
Thanks for posting this. It's always nice to get exposed to other work. And they looked just fine on my monitor.

r.e.
5-Feb-2010, 05:10
I was sufficiently impressed with the "in our face" series that I did some searching, during which I read that they are composites. For reasons which I have trouble articulating, that information gave me pause. Now I find that I'm more interested in how he made these composites than in the composites themselves.

I for one appreciate the size of the images. They should be fine on a desktop monitor or an average-sized laptop monitor. I looked at them on a 1680x1050 laptop, and with the browser in full screen mode, they fit the screen with room to spare.

Merg Ross
5-Feb-2010, 09:25
I apologise for not considering the size of your screen!

I am not sure whether all of them were made with LF, in fact not even sure of the size - and let's face it, it doesn't really matter.

Dirk, I owe you an apology, works fine full screen.

I agree, camera size is not really relevant to his vision; just curious.

Interesting work, thanks for posting.

csant
7-Feb-2010, 10:45
Now I find that I'm more interested in how he made these composites than in the composites themselves.

I have the same curiosity - anybody has some more info on the technique? I actually really like the results, haunting and beautiful. And I love the effect in the less "overlapped" areas (i.e. mostly the clothes), reminds me a lot of Picasso and Braque in their cubistic phase.