PDA

View Full Version : C41 chemistry for home processing

ustwo
4-Feb-2010, 18:38
Hi guys

I'm new to these forums, although I've been a looker for quite a few years..

Thought it was about time I'd join in, and my first post may as well be an interesting one....

I've been thinking of doing my own C41 processing for a while. There are a number of reasons, but the main one is that all the labs I can get to easily are discontinuing C41 processing due to a lack of rollage..

What I am concerned about is that here in Australia there are not many C41 processing kits available (I know Vanbar stocks them)..and the cost/weight of kits from OS makes that a less than attractive proposition. The shelf life of the kits (and mixed chemistry) is another concern.

And I really don't want to go down the DIY chemical mixing path unless I really have to..

Having spent quite a few years working in photo labs I am wondering if dry tablet replenishment chemicals (such as those used in Konica & Noritsu labs) wouldn't be the asnwer - crush XX number of tablets per 600ml of water, heat and process..

I've searched the internet, but can't find anyone who has done it (or at least talked about it somewhere)..

I'm sure it will work ( I know I will have a overactive developer, but I can compensate with dilution etc) - has anyone here done it?

Andrew

Nathan67
9-Feb-2010, 14:42
Not sure about the minilab chems, but being as you are in Australia how about importing the Naniwa 1litre kit from Japan? via japanexposures.....
i have used it and it works well,easy to mix and lasted longer than I expected it to...

Or there is the tetenal press kit which is powder, B&H ship it worldwide and it is not heavy, or if you can get it the fuji-hunt x-press c41 5 litre kit is very good, but liquid concentrate and weighs a bit more, advantage is you can mix a litre at a time...

domaz
10-Feb-2010, 09:42
Check APUG- extensive threads on the issue there. Really no clear winner though- just don't use a kit with Blix as it can adversly affect results.

Bruce Watson
10-Feb-2010, 10:04
Check in with Photographers' Formulary (http://www.photoformulary.com/DesktopDefault.aspx) in the US. Rumors are that they are going to repackage the Kodak C-41 chems into 1 liter kits. Have done so in fact. Working on the labeling and instructions last I heard.

Send them an email and let them know you are interested, and to be put on the announcement list if there is one. What do you have to loose?

IanG
10-Feb-2010, 13:39
In the UK some stores split the Tetenal Minilab kits, I think someone posted that a company does the same in Australia.

It's possible to do the same with Fuji kits as well as the Kodak kits Bruce mentions.

Ian

ustwo
10-Feb-2010, 20:57
thanks for your suggestions -my main concern was to avoid the use of liquid checmicals as I wanted to avoid oxidization issues..

The press kit is an idea I'm exploring....I guess I'll just have to get hold of some tablet checmicals and experiment with how many I should use per tank until I get good negs..

Cheers