PDA

View Full Version : V100 and E6 Chemistry

Dan Baumbach
4-Feb-2010, 10:26
I used to shoot a lot of Velvia 100. It had a tendency to overdo red light, but in neutral light it performed pretty well. I recently shot some more of it and I was horrified at how magenta the trannies were. I also shot Astia 100F. They were processed in the same batch and the Astia was fine.

Why has Velvia 100 suddenly gotten so magenta? The only thing that has changed is the lab that processed it. My previous lab went out of business. Since the Astia came out fine, I can't blame the processing, or can I?

I know that other companies make E6 chemistry besides Kodak. I was wondering if a particular E6 chemistry might be at fault.

vinny
4-Feb-2010, 10:50
I've gotten some red results (shadows mostly) with it as well when doing long exposures (1min). It wasn't the labs fault in my case. I'm doing my own e-6 now using kodak chems and haven't seen any red in average lighting/exposure conditions.

Joanna Carter
4-Feb-2010, 10:53
Why has Velvia 100 suddenly gotten so magenta? The only thing that has changed is the lab that processed it. My previous lab went out of business. Since the Astia came out fine, I can't blame the processing, or can I?
Magenta and green casts can be down to the pH of the developer being off so, yes, it could be the lab.

Preston
4-Feb-2010, 11:17
I will be shooting some Velveeta 100 shortly. Once I get it back from my lab (A&I), I'll check for a magenta cast.

I shot some of this film a couple of years ago. I'll look in my archives and check the trannies, although I don't recall a magenta cast. I'll report back with my observations.

I do shoot a lot of Astia 100F and find that it is pretty neutral, although yellows and some green hues tend be fairly saturated.

--Preston

Frank Bagbey
4-Feb-2010, 12:44
A lot of trannies wear the wrong kind of makeup, causing off color results. Seriously, on this end there are no problems with Velvia 50 or 100 regarding accurate color for that type film.