PDA

View Full Version : Compur shutter CLA yourself?

Dave Dawson
4-Feb-2010, 03:32
Hi All, Included with a recent purchase was a 90mm f6.8 Angulon mounted in a #0 Compur shutter. The slow speeds are definitly slower than they should be even after firing them a few times and it obviuosly needs a CLA.

Is this something that can easily be done yourself or is it best to leave it to a good repairer ?

Any thoughts?

Cheers Dave

Peter K
4-Feb-2010, 03:50
Dave, to clean a Compur shutter it has to be dismanteled completely, exept escapement and selftimer, cleaned by rinsing in trichloroethylene or perchloroethylene and assembled again. Also one needs different lubricants to regrease the shutter but only the parts of the shutter that needs lubricant.

To learn how to clean shutters start with a big one like Copal #3 and than go step by step to smaller ones up to Compur #00.

If you don't want this look for a good camera repair shop.

Peter

Vick Vickery
4-Feb-2010, 07:40
Dave, at what Carol Miller charges for her excellent work, I wouldn't dream of taking one apart myself...'course thats mainly because I'd never keep up with all those lil' itsy-bitsy parts!! :) You can find Carol at www.flutotscamerarepair.com

BrianShaw
4-Feb-2010, 08:20
Any thoughts?

Yes, here's a thought: would you disassemble and clean your wrist watch? If yes, then go for it; if no, then send to a professional.

Alternatively, if you can afford to let this be a learning experience then go for it!

It can be done... but it isn't necessarily easy!

Dave Dawson
4-Feb-2010, 08:43
All points noted Guys.....Thanks for your advice. I'll send it for professional repair. This lens is nothing to write home about but I could always swap the elements to something better.

Thanks again...Cheers Dave

mandoman7
4-Feb-2010, 11:18
Yes, here's a thought: would you disassemble and clean your wrist watch? If yes, then go for it; if no, then send to a professional.

Alternatively, if you can afford to let this be a learning experience then go for it!

It can be done... but it isn't necessarily easy!

The analogy is good except that a decent new watch can be had for $20. :D
... but my one attempt at dissambling a compur was a disaster so I suggest using a pro, also. OR...finding a scratched lens for sale that has the same shutter. Sometimes those will sell for less than a new shutter or even the cost of repair.

lenser
4-Feb-2010, 11:46
Another STRONG suggestion that you get his with Carol at Flutot's. She has resurrected several of my old to ancient shutters and currently has three of mine in her shop for CLA treatment. Outstanding work and very favorable pricing.

I would no more dream of doing this myself than to take out my own appendix. In fact, I'd probably be safer trying the latter.

Roger Thoms
4-Feb-2010, 11:52
I'll second the recommendation for Carol Miller. I does take some time as Carols service are in demand. Carol has a wait list so you don't send the shutter till she is actually ready to work on it. Since I keep buy old shutter I pretty much stay on Carols wait list and when my name comes up sent her a shutter or two.

The two times I was in a hurry I used SK Grimes for one shutter and ICT Camera for the other. Excellent results in both cases, just a lot more expensive.

Roger

lilmsmaggie
4-Feb-2010, 12:12
Glad this question came up. I just took possession of a Grandagon-N and was thinking the same thing. Now, after reading this thread I ain't about to even think about doing a CLA on it.

Thanks All!

lilmsmaggie
4-Feb-2010, 12:29

Just had another thought. A shutter that needs a CLA is one thing, what about the lens itself? Do Carol Flutot or S. K. Grimes perform lens maintenance as well?

BrianShaw
4-Feb-2010, 12:49
The analogy is good except that a decent new watch can be had for $20. :D

Yes, this is true. I probably need a new analogy. It is almost cheaper to buy a new watch than replace the battery these days!

Frank Petronio
4-Feb-2010, 13:21
Frank Marshman of Camera Wiz, 169 Pleasant Hill Rd., Harrisonburg VA 22801 is also a very good large format repair person (also smaller cameras!). He's been really fast and reasonable with my older gear. Phone 540-434-8133. No email or website....

Bob Watkins of Precision Camera Works in Chicago is also great, he repairs Noblexes and Wideluxes and is Arca-Swiss's NA service guy so he knows his stuff cold.

CarstenW
13-Feb-2010, 14:54
Does anyone know of a service center in Germany? I have an old Synchro-Compur 1 shutter on which the slow times run too slow. The lens also has something between the front two elements (old Xenar 135/3.8) which I would like to get cleaned out, so it would be a bonus if the service center could also handle lens dismantling and cleaning, as well as reassembly and proper shimming in the shutter.