PDA

View Full Version : What's in your camera toolbox?

Eric Woodbury
3-Feb-2010, 21:54
Just curious. When you travel, as I do quite a bit, do you take a camera toolbox with you? and what's in it? Lens spanner, hex wrenches, grease, tiny screw drivers, etc.

Sorry if this has been covered. Haven't see it around.

brian d
3-Feb-2010, 22:18
Lortab

vinny
3-Feb-2010, 22:19
Husky 8-in-1 mini screwdriver.
stove pipe wire.
lens spanner.
gaff tape.
superglue.
roll of 3m frosted magic tape- add that to a piece of glass or plexi and you have a new ground glass.
gerber multitool, aka "10 shitty tools in one"

Heroique
3-Feb-2010, 22:22
I'll include a simple lens-cleaning kit in my toolbox; lenses and filters can get cruddy in forest & field.

Also "spares," such as a spare lithium battery (for the meter), spare cable release, spare level...

I even throw in a penny to unscrew & open the meter's battery container.

MIke Sherck
4-Feb-2010, 08:30
Leatherman multi-tool (the original one,) and duct tape. The camera bag contains spare stuff (shutter release, lens cleaning, etc.) -- this is the repair stuff for fixing broken things.

John Kasaian
4-Feb-2010, 08:46
A credit card?

BarryS
4-Feb-2010, 09:18
Leatherman tool (what did I do before these things!)
gaffer tape (wrapped around 35mm film canister filled with quarters, not a whole roll)
rubber bands
mini-jewelers screw drivers
mini-scissors
a few select hex wrenches
flat metal lens wrench
lightweight cord
Advil

Drew Bedo
4-Feb-2010, 10:53
Leatherman "Wave" (unless traveling by air!)
Gaffer tape
Light weight spanner
Micro-fiber lens cloth

Other stuff as I think about it.

VISA CARD

tom thomas
5-Feb-2010, 10:44
Flashlight to hunt for small pieces I may have dropped while repairing camera in the field and a light lunch in case it takes too much time to find the pieces. Also 9MM depending how big the animals may be in the field.
tom

cjbroadbent
5-Feb-2010, 12:01
Some of the above plus:
Chalk, string, a big nail, 2 mini-leds and a pocket mirror.
All in aid of getting the camera squared off.

Heroique
5-Feb-2010, 12:51
...string...

That's in my toolbox, too. Actually, it's heavy twine. Great also for gently pulling branches from your view in thick forests. Or, into your view! Once, I forgot to untie a Yellow Poplar branch, returned to the same spot a year later (and yes, I was thinking about that branch all year long), and untied it. I apologized, and the branch was forgiving. It had grown several inches longer, very healthy, and swung right back into place.

Arne Croell
6-Feb-2010, 03:21
In the field, I carry a Rodenstock lens wrench, a microfiber cloth, a spare cable release adapter for the Linhof quick release system, a spare battery for the meter, plus a Swiss Army knife which I always carry with me (except on planes of course).

Then I have a little cigar box for traveling with: a Leatherman, two small flat jewelers screwdrivers, one small Phillips head jewelers screwdriver, three different size Allen wrenches for the Technikardan and the Linhof tripod quick release, a pair of surgical tweezers, an angled cable release adapter, another spare cable release adapter for the Linhof quick release system, one pin each for the Copal size 0 and size 1 Linhof quick cable release systems, a 1/4" to 3/8" tripod screw adapter, another spare battery, an adjustable lens wrench, and a spare groundglass.

John Powers
8-Feb-2010, 06:45
I carry a small LF tackle box in the car.
In addition to what others have mentioned I have:
A pen, magic marker, yellow high lighter
3 foot retractable tape measure
Stanley razor knife, small Swiss Army knife
Assorted needle nose pliers and wire cutters
Jeweler’s files and Emory boards
Spare level, super glue, two part epoxy
Miniature wooden cloths pins and binder clips
Matches, Electricians tape
1” mirror on a telescoping handle
½” paint brush, tooth brush, copper wire brush
Rubber jar lid grabber
Fine 240 sand paper
Small hammer, rubber tip, plastic tip
Small vice grips
Hack saw blade
Tongue depressors
Awl, magnifying glass

While in the AWD SUV there is also a small automotive tool kit, GPS, compass, maps, ¼ ton come along, 100 feet of old ¾” dock lines, flares, engine oil, food, water, shovel, yellow rain gear, first aid kit, flashlights, phone, sleeping bag, fire extinguisher.

I am a belt and suspenders kind of guy, but I spent 45 years on the road in software and equipment sales and at one time or another used all of these things or added them after I had wished I had them with me.

John

Robert Hughes
8-Feb-2010, 11:25
In addition to what others have mentioned, I'd like to include:

A small laser pointer,
right-angled mirror,
skil saw,
dentist drill,
plastic explosives and ignitors,
72 afterlife virgins,
and a partridge in a pear tree!

Brian K
8-Feb-2010, 12:21
I tend to go on trips that can last anywhere from a month to 2 1/2 months, 15,000 miles, so i pack very heavy and carry many spares, especially auto related items.

My general purpose photo utility kit includes:

Jeweler's screw driver kit
Allen key set
Spare Copal 0 & 1 shutters
rodenstock lens wrench
Spare Ground Glass (linhof or Sinar)
spare 67mm red and yellow filters
multiple flash lights
Leatherman T-1 multi tool
electrical tape
gaffers tape
multiple spare batteries for all electronic devices including car key alarm, watch, etc
level
spare loupe
head light

Additional gear includes;
Hand held GPS (in addition to the vehicle's and my iPhone)
Laser rangefinder binocular or monocular
Kestral portable weather station
night vision
Bear Spray
Survival Knife
Digital camera with GPS logger
Compass
umbrella
water proof matches or flint/steel
spare tripod

In the vehicle:
High lift jack ( also works as a come along)
Tow ropes and chains
tree sling
d-shackles
Shovel w/saw
Tire chains
compressor/jump starter
jumper cables
15-22 quarts of oil
2 air filters
3 oil filters
spare wiper blades
wrenches, hammers, screw drivers,
spare headlight bulbs
200' of climbers rope
200' of utility rope
candles
medical kit
water (always!)
self heating food (just add water)
tire repair kit
several tire pressure gauges
electrical tape
sand bags
Snow shoes, tinted snow goggles, spare gloves, pull over snow boots (winter)
strap on ice grippers for shoes (winter)
mosquito net- hat and vest
bug spray
flares
Maps, AAA accommodation guides

I'm sure I forget to include some things, it takes me weeks to pack for a trip...

All hoses and belts are checked and/or changed prior to a trip and continually checked every day.
Tire pressure/ condition is checked daily as altitude and temperature can change greatly when I travel

cjbroadbent
8-Feb-2010, 13:28
Brian, I'm copying that down. You never know what to expect. I've added shovel and a bible.

jeroldharter
8-Feb-2010, 13:30
Wow. At least my worries about being to obsessive are assuaged with this thread. I am apparently ill-prepared. Seriously, this is a great thread for ideas that I will adopt.

Most people have covered all the bases. I also carry two Palm devices for use with my BTZS data along with a cigarette lighter to USB adapter for charging the Palms and cell phone.

Not sure anyone mentioned a head lamp which frees the hands.

I bring a space blanket which I use as a waterproof ground cloth for my gear. It dries easily and is very compressible.

A natural bristle, 2" paint brush is useful for dusting film holders and other gear.

Although I have not used it yet for photography, I have a Hennessey hammock which would be great for overnights so long as some trees are around.

John Powers
8-Feb-2010, 14:10
Wow. At least my worries about being to obsessive are assuaged with this thread. .

Jerold,

Speaking only for myself, though I have seen indications in many threads, I believe Obsessive-Compulsive is a check mark on the application to shoot LF, not just travel with it.

John

Brian K
8-Feb-2010, 14:13
Brian, I'm copying that down. You never know what to expect. I've added shovel and a bible.

Christopher, that's the whole point.

I almost got stuck in a blizzard a few years back. It was so bad that I-80 was closed after they lost several plows, and with all the overturned, skidded or stuck vehicles it looked like a war scene. But I had dry clothes, plenty of food and water, insulated ski pants and jackets, hat and gloves, an emergency weather radio, even toilet paper. If I had to spend the night in the car I'd be ok. Fortunately I had brand new tires (bridgestone REVO AT, great tires) and with tire chains I was able to drive from shoulder to shoulder, around all the stuck traffic, and make it 50 miles to the next city and clear roads. I was even able to give a stuck trucker a ride.

I could only imagine the dread and fear that many of those who were stuck in their cars, in their office type work clothes and no provisions must have felt.

You never know.

Space blanket, I carry several, they are light, small and in some circumstances can even save your life. Also contractor size heavy duty contractor bags, which can be made into a poncho, or used to protect a tripod camera during a rain storm. Oversize rubber bands and bungee cords. etc, etc. So many of the little things in life become priceless at certain times.

Renato Tonelli
8-Feb-2010, 14:18
Brian - I think you forgot the kitchen sink. Sorry, I couldn't resist.:)

When I'm hiking for the day:

Swiss Army knife
Spare battery for the meter
Cds cell meter (Sekonic L398)
Viewing filter for B&W
A few meters of twine
Walking stick

When traveling far from home, in a car:

Everything I can think of that could be use in an emergency - except the kitchen sink.

cjbroadbent
8-Feb-2010, 14:34
... Viewing filter for B&W ...
I thought I was the only one still alive using a viewing filter (panchromatic).

Brian K
8-Feb-2010, 14:46

I thought I was the only one still alive using a viewing filter (panchromatic).

Chris I use them too. I also use the linhof multi viewer to pre visualize a scene. It all helps.

I take very seriously the risks involved with traveling great distances to areas that I am unfamiliar with. In most of the cases that you hear about where people succumbed to the weather, it was not because they thought they were going anywhere dangerous, but conditions change, and even a simple flat tire in the wrong place or at the wrong time can be catastrophic. So I prepare for the worst. Of course when I fly I pare things down substantially.....

Eric Woodbury
8-Feb-2010, 15:05
Gotta have a viewing filter. I have two, both the same (supposedly), both Peak. I hate one and the other is okay. I'd like to find a nice blue one. I know this is off topic, but what are you all using?

Ken Lee
8-Feb-2010, 17:20
"Gotta have a viewing filter".

That's for sure.

I use a Zone VI viewing filter, taped to format the I'm shooting - with white tape, since photos will eventually appear against a white background, not a black one.

eddie
9-Feb-2010, 05:06
camera tool box.....for travel or at home.

for travel i do not carry anything in my "tool box"....talk about not prepared! so far so good (knocking on wood)

Steve Hamley
9-Feb-2010, 05:48
If you're traveling the "back 40" in the eastern US, especially camping or overnighting in the National Forests, a chainsaw is a good thing to have. I have friends that "don't leave home without it", because one good downed tree can stop you until someone else comes along to clear it, which could be a day or more in many locations. You may also need it to get where you want to be.

Also consider a Coleman Black Cat catalytic tent heater. I use one mostly for comfort in the spring and fall while car-camping, but one of these and a six pack of gas and you could be toasty about as long as you need to be.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5038A800&categoryid=3000

Cheers, Steve

Bosaiya
10-Feb-2010, 17:30
Leatherman
Waterproof pens
Medical tape (waterproof, easy to write on and read)
Spare darkslides
assorted junk that happens to fall in or not get taken out.

jeroldharter
10-Feb-2010, 19:41
Jerold,

Speaking only for myself, though I have seen indications in many threads, I believe Obsessive-Compulsive is a check mark on the application to shoot LF, not just travel with it.

John

John,

You are right. More obsessive compulsive personality traits than OCD. That's why it is mostly men and has a broad overlap with fly fishing and wood working. If any of you are into LF, fly fishing, and woodworking, you have hit the trifecta and should be diagnosed with OCPD. Also, you are probably broke, divorced, and very busy. Half-kidding of course.

John Powers
11-Feb-2010, 06:37
John,

You are right. More obsessive compulsive personality traits than OCD. That's why it is mostly men and has a broad overlap with fly fishing and wood working. If any of you are into LF, fly fishing, and woodworking, you have hit the trifecta and should be diagnosed with OCPD. Also, you are probably broke, divorced, and very busy. Half-kidding of course.

Jerold,

I had to search on OCPD. I thought perhaps the P pointed to prehistoric Porsches, especially old 356s. Looking over the list I think my second wife and I ought to look into fly fishing, maybe even building rods in the shop. I’m color blind, but she is a water colorist and could help pick fly tying materials. We have a stocked pond next to the house. Come on over to the next NE OH APUG Gathering. Bring your fly rod and show us. We can reciprocate with a ride through the hills of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park in the ’55 356 Speedster. Misery loves company.

Gotta run! Have a long list of things to do today in the eighth year of my retirement.

John