PDA

View Full Version : My CRT lived long, happy life. Which new monitor?

Heroique
3-Feb-2010, 13:09
I think my CRT monitor is giving-up the ghost, and I may need to look for a new one.

Since I'm behind the times in monitor technology, I'd like to describe my needs & ask for a few quick "shopping" tips...

First, my computer is an ancient Dell 4500 (2 ghz processor, 1 gb ram), but despite the limited specs, it's doing just fine for my needs. The ailing monitor is a 15" CRT (an NEC MultiSync XV15+). I bought it new. It's 12-15 years old, or about 97 years old in "monitor years"! I calibrate it w/ Spyder2Express software. I scan 4x5 on a 4990, process in PS CS3 if necessary, and print at local shops w/ Frontier machines on Fuji Crystal Archive paper, using their printer profiles. The process gives pleasing, accurate results. I don't have a photo printer and don't plan on getting one. Since I print b/w with my D2v enlarger, my principal concern is w/ 4x5 E-6 scans for monitor display & local printing.

I have these things in mind (and there may be more things of which I'm unaware):

1) Larger than my current 15" display, but this isn't so critical, so perhaps "somewhat larger."
2) Compatible w/ my old Dell, but able to take advantage of a nicer computer when it's time.
3) Willing to spend $500-$700 or a little more.

So what's "out there" for a good match? Any recommendations about features or models?

Jon Shiu
3-Feb-2010, 13:49
I have been looking also. Check out Dell UltraSharp U2410 Monitor @ $599, but sometimes on sale for $500.

Jon

Ari
3-Feb-2010, 13:57
I love my Dell monitor. It was sold primarily as a gamer's monitor, but calibrated with the Spyder, it's as good as anything out there.
23" widescreen was on special for $169 last year.

Preston
3-Feb-2010, 14:14
My Dell CRT is doing fine, but it's 19" and so I am looking for something a bit larger (21-24").

If I may ask a favor of those who make recommendations to us who are shopping, would you please include a model number? It makes searches much easier.

Thanks,

--Preston

Jim Bradley
3-Feb-2010, 14:54
Do NOT get the Dell G2410 (or any LCD made with a TN panel). I did that as the TN panel types are relatively cheap. Even after calibration it is "weird" and gets "weirder" the more off angle you get.
I have a Dell U2410 (IPS panel type) arriving any day now. After I calibrate it I'll post some feedback.

Jim

Peter De Smidt
3-Feb-2010, 14:57
Dell 2290WA monitor. E-IPS panel, which means the picture doesn't change much when you move your head around. 22" size, a nice middle ground. Great price: it's anywhere from $212 to $290. It's found on the Dell small business site. I have one. It works very well for image editing. I profile it with a Spyder 3 elite.

Heroique
3-Feb-2010, 17:05
Lots of good vibes about Dell screens, even below my price range, plus an interesting caveat about TN screens. What's key to know about E-IPS vs. TN screens? Do E-IPS screens have all the advantages for editing purposes ... except price?

Peter De Smidt
3-Feb-2010, 17:57
Yes, an e-IPS screen has a much wider useful viewing angle than a tn panel.

As you know, you can pay a lot more a screen. You can get a wider color gamut, slightly more uniformity, the ability to load a profile into the monitor LUT (look up table), and larger size than the monitor I recommended. I've used a number of those very expensive displays, and they're very nice, but I can do just as nice of editing on the e-IPS monitor.

welly
3-Feb-2010, 19:36
I've got a Hewlett Packard LP2475w. Best monitor I've ever had the pleasure of using. It's an IPS monitor, has a bazillion inputs (literally any kind of input you might need) and the picture quality is just fab.

Heroique
4-Feb-2010, 20:03
Thank you for these beginner's tips. :)

And if anyone has additional features or models to keep in mind, please let me know because I'll be watching...

Brian Ellis
5-Feb-2010, 09:18
This question comes up all the time in the photo.net digital darkroom forum and you can find lots of information there, not only about specific models in your price range but also general information about things to look for and things to avoid.

Heroique
5-Feb-2010, 10:15
Thanks, Brian. Just checked the Photo.net forum you mentioned, and it's quite helpful, too!

Jim Bradley
8-Mar-2010, 17:39
A belated update on the Dell U-2410...
I finally had time to install after receiving it about 2 weeks ago. Has pre-configured and tested setup for sRGB and AdobeRGB. I checked the AdobeRGB and got an average deltaE of 2.3,not bad. After I profiled/calibrated the results are average deltaE 0.89, outstanding.
Lots of inputs. Good ergonomics. Great color.

JGB

8x10 user
15-Mar-2010, 00:09
There are some Samsung XL20's on eBay for a good price ($535). I was going to buy one until I found a deal on a 30" lacie branded version (model 730).

The Samsung XL is an RGB led color reference monitor with a wide gamut and 14 bit look up table. The 24, and 30" have a bit bigger gamut then the 20" version. I haven't received mine yet but I expect it to be pretty "killer". For some reason Samsung discontinued the line. Anyone know why?

polyglot
15-Mar-2010, 05:05
Do not even think about buying a TN panel if you do colour work. Make sure it's IPS or PVA - best value IMHO are the samsung 245T/275T/305T (24"/27"/30") series. Dell does some good panels too, but the $300-500 24" ones are all TN.

Go to panelsearch (http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/panelsearch.htm) and enter a model number to see what panel type you're getting.

Edit: IPS and PVA panels cover nearly the full human gamut whereas TN gets maybe 60-80% of it. IPS/PVA have at least 8 bits of dynamic range per colour channel whereas TN is only 6 bits and will perform dithering to get the last two bits, which causes visual artefacts and/or posterisation. TN colours also go completely whacked if you don't look at the screen from exactly the right direction, whereas the IPS/PVA look good from any direction. TN can be a little faster, but the current models of IPS and PVA are quite fast enough for any purpose including computer games, movies and certainly still photography.

Frank Petronio
15-Mar-2010, 06:46
Heck for $700 shouldn't you be able to get an entirely new Dell PC and monitor?

You can get a decent used iMac for that even... so a Dell or something PC-ish should be even better specified. If you managed with a small 15 year-old CRT then anything will look great.

And you should send a picture and testimonial to Michael Dell, you probably set a record for using one for so long.

Brian Ellis
15-Mar-2010, 11:18
I have a Dell S2409W that came as part of a package when I recently bought a new computer. I read somewhere that the reason the package was so relatively inexpensive ($1200 or so for a terrific computer) was that they skimped on the monitor. I don't know if that's true or not but I've used other monitors before this one for photography and this is the first one I haven't been able to adequately calibrate for color. It does fine for b&w but no matter what I do the color prints always look significantly darker than they looked on the monitor. I don't think it's me, I calibrated the others fine using Spyder II and Spyder III Pro. So this isn't a monitor I'd recommend, I plan to replace it soon.

J.Medlock
15-Mar-2010, 12:09
I have a Dell S2409W that came as part of a package...I calibrated the others fine using Spyder II and Spyder III Pro. So this isn't a monitor I'd recommend, I plan to replace it soon.

I use a S2409W monitor for work, and it is a TN panel (i.e. something to avoid as mentioned elsewhere in this thread). It is otherwise okay for plain computer work, and pretty cheap. :)

evan clarke
15-Mar-2010, 15:05
What's a crt and where does it go on my camera?:) ..Evan Clarke

jim kitchen
15-Mar-2010, 20:14
I remember reviewing this site about eighteen months ago, and I found it to be interesting... :)

http://www.prad.de/en/guide/vergleich_auswahl.html

Have a look, and I hope it helps.

jim k

gnuyork
16-Mar-2010, 05:06
I am not quite sure what they have in your budget range, but Eizo monitors are highly regarded in color critical applications like Graphic Design and Photo retouching, etc.

They have some super expensive monitors, but I also think they have some in more moderately prices ranges.

Others would be the NEC spectra view series, and LaCie. I have used the NEC 2690 briefly - a friend has it - and it's very nice.

8x10 user
21-Mar-2010, 12:48
I got my Lacie 730 in and it soo sweet :) Big thanks to the folks at colormall for the great deal and excellent customer service. The only downside is that there might be a bug were you have to re calibrate after switching color spaces on the monitor and the 30" version does not have the onscreen menu. The colors seem really accurate and the bigger gamut is quite noticeable at times (in a good way).

So, for your price range the 20" Samsung XL model is probably one of your better options IMO.