PDA

View Full Version : Grease on iris blades, how badly did I mess up?

Thebes
3-Feb-2010, 12:32
So. I tried to mount a Topcor 210 in Copal 1 to a Super Graphic (multipiece) lensboard.

In my infinite stupidity I failed to note that because the front of the board was partly turned down the aperture ring was making contact but not the front mounting flange. I tightened it most of the way down to fit the shutter synch and release lever. Thats when I noticed the aperture ring wouldn't turn. I took it off. It turned afterwards but was very stiff.

Working it has loosened it much of the way. Some grease (dark color, thick, but its cold, but it seems like grease not oil) came out between the front mounting flange and the aperture ring. Some came out onto the iris. I cleaned as much off as I felt I safely could without solvents.

I suppose I must have crushed a grease seal.
Is a CLA likely to fix this?

The iris is still stiffer than it should be, but does not seem to be getting any more grease on the blades. No more grease has come out around the flange in about 60 actuations of the aperture. The blades still have two small areas which are visibly a bit slickened.

Right now I figure its going to die from this one day... but maybe I'm wrong. Presuming the shutter is physically damaged beyond economic repair, I would be inclined to use it for an upcoming trip leaving tomorrow, since it works for now.

Does this seem reasonable? Or should I send it off for a CLA?

ret wisner
3-Feb-2010, 12:43
i used a 96% alcohol to clean some blades on a 10 inch aldis and it will come off, but it sounds as if you may have bent the iris blade and they are now sticking. does the lens work and take pics , as long as it does then you shouldnt worry about it

Thebes
3-Feb-2010, 12:55
It does work. The blades might be bowed, each about evenly, opposite the pivot points and near the lens body... I don't have one to compare it to.

What I am looking for is if a normal CLA would probably fix this.
Given the used price of Copal shutters... even the new price, I would think replacing the iris would cost more than the repaired shutter would be worth. If that is the case, then there is no reason not to clean it up more and use it as is on my trip.

ret wisner
3-Feb-2010, 13:06
i agree, use the lens, the iris will take a lot of punishment , but any oil on shutter blades will eventually pick u dust and spread oil to shutter parts that will stop the shutter eventually.

a little neat alcohol on a cue tip and gradually pick up the oil and your ready to roll