PDA

View Full Version : New Film to Replace Polaroid Type 55?

Marco Polo
2-Feb-2010, 18:15
According to this man, it's not "impossible" at all.

http://new55project.blogspot.com/

Sure, he's only been at it a week, but he's making progress.

BrianShaw
2-Feb-2010, 19:52
Interesting.

77seriesiii
3-Feb-2010, 23:42
so let me get this right. Someone is going to try and bring back Polaroid 55 B&W film? I checked out the blog but am not seeing what the actual intentions are, schedule (I know early in the game). How cool will that be!

Erick

David Hedley
4-Feb-2010, 02:49
The recipe for the monobath looks very interesting and worth experimenting with, partly because it is easy. I'm not convinced that any effort put into trying to replicate an instant film pack with all the complications around making the chemical pod and ensuring that it spreads effectively, will be worthwhile as it is so complex and requires a significant investment in plant and machinery, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

There also seems to be some effort into reproducing autochrome. From my limited knowledge, this will also be very difficult as several key steps (such as achieving an optimal layer of coloured starch grains) were not documented (or the documentation is not publically available). Nevertheless I'd love this to succeed, as autochrome is so beautiful. Perhaps there is some more modern coating technique that can deliver a very similar effect, but is much easier to achieve?

Gary L. Quay
6-Feb-2010, 01:49
I hope it is a success. I'll buy some if it goes onto the market.

--Gary

Marco Polo
1-Dec-2010, 17:59
Believe it or not, progress is being made. Check it out here:

http://new55project.blogspot.com/2010/11/film-pod-and-clip-construction.html#comments

Brian C. Miller
2-Dec-2010, 05:35
Good! A good product that would help them out is to make Readyload/Quickload pods for sheet film again. This would increase the demand for some of the common materials, like the metal clips and the paper sheath.