PDA

View Full Version : Mounting and Displaying Polaroid/Fuji Instant Prints

jmooney
2-Feb-2010, 12:42
Hi All,

I'm going to be doing some work with Fuji 4X5 instant film and my Calument Cadet. Naturally my thoughts have turned to how to display them. Anyone working with them? How are you displaying them? Can they be mounted?

Any info is much appreciated!

Jim

Gordon Moat
2-Feb-2010, 13:59
I have displayed many Polaroid and Fuji Instant images, though mostly manipulations. Usually I just find a small frame, and matte it somewhat larger than the image. I cut my own mattes with a Logan cutter.

My next exhibited image will be an SX-70 manipulation, being shown at Calumet in San Diego. This is mounted in a 10" by 10" deep box frame, with a white matte cut slightly larger than the image. I used double sided acid free archival tape corners to keep the print attached to an acid free back. Then the cut acid free matte goes over that, like a sandwich.

healyzh
2-Feb-2010, 14:25
One question I have about mounting and displaying them is how will it effect their longevity? How long does Fuji Instafilm even last? At a minimum I'm guessing you don't want to hang them where direct sunlight will hit them.

I've mainly used the Fuji Instafilm for learning to use my 4x5 cameras, but I also use it some for exposure checks. Between the two, I've gotten a couple shots that I really, like, so I find this an interesting question.

Vaughn
2-Feb-2010, 14:47
I like to display my manipulated SX-70 prints by cutting the window slightly larger than the entire print (not just the image area) and mount the print to the back board using transparent photo corners. The size of the mat board is 8x10.

In my mind, my entire SX-70 print is the art object -- not to separate the image from the rest of it. A matter of personal taste.

vinny
2-Feb-2010, 19:00
Don't let the sun hit them, I've done some tests and they don't last long.

tgtaylor
2-Feb-2010, 19:49
Don't let the sun hit them, I've done some tests and they don't last long.

Vampires!

Greg Lockrey
2-Feb-2010, 19:58
Hmmmm.... I have some 30 plus year old Polaroids under plexiglass that are holding their own.