PDA

View Full Version : Paper in place of the negative

Rodrigo Ghessa Tostes Malta
27-Dec-2001, 12:08
A friend of mine have an old 8 x 10 camera and we just want to try the beast. Th e problem is that 8 x 10 film is not available here and the cost to import it is to expensive for our goal. So we were thinking if it's possible to use Ilford o r Kodak black and white paper in the film holders, so we can have positives. Any one tried this? If it's possible, what is the asa of the papers? Thank you and H appy New Year.

william nagel
27-Dec-2001, 12:18
You'll make a paper negative. Which will work. You'll then have to make a contact print of it to make the positive. People do this with pinhole photography all the time. I myself never did it though.

Kaatharine Thayer
27-Dec-2001, 12:49
The asa varies but 6 or 8 is a good starting point. In other words, paper is quite a lot slower than film. There has just recently been a discussion on this very topic on the pinhole discussion group; see the archives at www.pinhole.com. Good luck!

Kevin M Bourque
27-Dec-2001, 13:47
Paper negatives are fun to play with, even if you're not checking out a camera. If you're using VC paper, be aware that colors in the scene you are photographing will affect local contrast. For instance, a yellow object will have flatter contrast than something that contains some magenta. For a truer tonal rendition, use graded paper.

You can actually put the paper negative in your enlarger, or contact print it. Just be sure that the paper doesn't have any printing on the back Have fun!

Steve Clark
28-Dec-2001, 00:17
I`ve found single weight papers to give better results. My ASA speed has been a blistering "3". You may find the range of tones and the detail quite surprising.. Have fun!