Matthew Rolfe
1-Feb-2010, 03:44
Any tips for storing Rodinal?

SMBooth
1-Feb-2010, 04:15
In its bottle, undiluted. Lasts forever

uhner
1-Feb-2010, 04:22
I keep my stash in a dark place with a reasonably constant temperature. I don’t know if this is necessary, but the developer works as good as it did when I bought it several years ago.

Matthew Rolfe
1-Feb-2010, 07:53
I have stored it in the original plastic bottle but it doesn't take long for the developer to turn into a dark brown colour. Do you store in plastic or glass?

Philippe Debeerst
1-Feb-2010, 10:23
When AGFA passed away, I bought the last 10 1/5 L bottles of Rodinal I could find. I poured them in 5 1 L brown wide neck glass-bottles I kept from the Sulphuric acid I use for controlling the pH level of the E-6 colour developer. Before closing the bottles, I sprayed some DUST OFF in them to chase away the oxygen loaded air, Dust Off is a little heavier than air due to the Propane in it.
I knew that the plastic bottles AGFA used were not completely gas proof, so they are not the best for long time conserving.
I still have 2 full 1L bottles of Rodinal that are in perfect shape, and are still somewhat transparent.
The one that is in use now is dark brown/black and still processing like new…

Philippe

David de Gruyl
1-Feb-2010, 10:43
I have never heard of undiluted Rodinal having any ill effects even with the color change.

Matthew Rolfe
1-Feb-2010, 10:58
ok thanks, so it appears the colour change isn't too much of a problem. I will look into 'Dust Off'.

mcfactor
3-Feb-2010, 07:28
The only issues I have had with old Rodinal is when only a tiny bit, like 30ml was stored for over a month in a larger (like 250ml) jar. Otherwise, like everyone else said, it lasts forever.

Bosaiya
4-Feb-2010, 09:50
No issues from color change or crystallization. It's like magic.