PDA

View Full Version : HP B8850 vs. Epson 1400 + Ebony ink

Mike Anderson
31-Jan-2010, 17:29
I want to get a budget B&W printing setup. I've read Paul Roark's articles about using an Epson 1400 with Ebony B&W ink cartridges (http://www.inksupply.com/inkjet_cartridges.cfm?search_getmodel=512).

It looks like the cost of such a system is $350 (Epson 1400 $200, Ebony ink cartridge set $100, Quadtone RIP $50). This is a much cheaper setup Piezography K6 system, which (on top of the cost of 1400) costs $370 for the ink + CIS, but of course a CIS will be cheaper in the long term.

Another option is the HP B8850, which can be had for less than $400. I realize it looks like HP is getting out of the prosumer printer business, but that doesn't bother me that much. This would be much less hassle, I'd use it straight-out-of-the box for B&W, and it's reputation for B&W output is good.

I like smooth matte papers, InkjetArt's Museum Digital is my current favorite and works well on my cheap printer.

I'm wondering how difficult it is to set up a Epson+Ebony system, and if it might cost me much paper and ink to get it ironed out and "tuned", and if its output is noticeably better (regarding metamerism and graceful fading, etc. as well as appearance) than something like an HP B8850.

Maybe the question is what's the best B&W printer that can be had for $400-$500?

Comments anyone?

Thanks,

...Mike