PDA

View Full Version : Water smudge on Maxwell ground glass

uniB
31-Jan-2010, 14:16
I've managed to mess my Mawell screen up and wondered if anyone knows if it's fixable...

The ground glass side got wet with snow when I took it off to put a roll film back on, I think I tried to dab the water off with a lens cloth – it now has a smudge mark across the screen. As I didn't rub it, is it fixable? Could spaying it with distilled water work, or any other ideas?

These Maxwell screens seem to be so delicate :(

Any ideas?

Steve Hamley
1-Feb-2010, 01:12
All fresnel grooves are that delicate. Touching it is a bad idea, messing with it further likely won't help and is a worse idea. The good part is it likely still works fine. You could call Bill, but from England that might cost more than the screen.

Cheers, Steve

uniB
1-Feb-2010, 01:41
Hi Steve,
it's not the actual fresnel that's damaged, it's the ground glass side. You're right though, it does still work OK, it just looks a bit of a state.
Dav

Patrick Dixon
1-Feb-2010, 03:07
If it's actually glass, I think I'd just wash it in distilled water or IPA.

uniB
1-Feb-2010, 03:48
Indian Pale Ale!?! :eek:

If it's actually glass, I think I'd just wash it in distilled water or IPA.

Steve Hamley
1-Feb-2010, 04:24
Fresnels for LF cameras are plastic. Distilled water and a soft cloth to start with, nothing more aggressive than lens cleaner on the frosted side ONLY.

But the best idea is probably to leave it alone as the frosted surface always seems to show something unless the entire surface is cleaned the same way.

Here's Bill Maxwell's recommendation and link:

CAUTION: All focusing screens are delicate. Handle them by the edges only. Don’t try to clean your screen.

http://www.mattclara.com/maxwell/index.html

The India Pale Ale is for you after you don't leave it alone!

Cheers, Steve

Patrick Dixon
2-Feb-2010, 12:36
IPA = isopropyl alcohol