PDA

View Full Version : Kodak VPL: Suggestions Anyone?

rguinter
30-Jan-2010, 11:48
Greetings everyone.

I acquired a large lot of outdated Kodak VPS and VPL last year in 4x5-inch and roll-film sizes. The VPS caught my attention as a classic film for cross processing and I found it works very well for me with long exposures after dusk. It has some beautiful and predictable color shifts when used that way. An example attached.

I then tried some of the VPL a few times at dusk with very poor results when cross processed. In comparison to VPS it is a totally different film. But I recently ran a roll of it through my MF camera at sunset trying various exposures to see what it would do and I got some very beautiful colors with it processed normally. Only thing is the negatives are about the most grainy of any film I've ever used.

Perhaps this indicates that the VPL doesn't age very well I don't know. I did read the other available threads here (there are a few) that discuss VPL and most suggested that the film was trash.

So does anyone have any advice to offer me based on experience with this film? Could be I just need to work with it a bit in 4x5 to make it perform which of course would reduce the grain during enlargement... or maybe it all just needs to be deep-six'd. I have 4-500 sheets or so and quite a bit in 120-roll.

Others' thoughts would be welcome. Cheers. Bob G.

rguinter
30-Jan-2010, 17:42
A VPL sunset I just scanned for color comparison. The grain is very heavy but I must admit that it adds a certain attractive quality to the photo... at least to me anyway. Bob G.

rguinter
30-Jan-2010, 17:49
P.S. Some data for the above. Sky at ev 3.5. Exposure f16 at 120 seconds, No filters. Bob G.

Mark Woods
30-Jan-2010, 18:13
Sweeeeet! It looks like you've got it under control.