PDA

View Full Version : Beginner negative b&w suggestions?

marshallarts
28-Jan-2010, 13:50
Thanks to the wonderful people here I'm taking the 4x5 dive with my Graflex and suggestions you've made.

I just bought a Combi-plan and chemicals (hc110) and was about to go with Tri-X then discovered Arista in the forums as a much cheaper alternative.

Would you suggest Arista as comparable to Tri-X and does is work as well with the hc110?

I've seen there are many types of Arista including Arista.edu which I read good things about. What are the differences of each? I understand Arista varieties may just be repackaged renamed name brands. Is there a key to which is which? Which is decidedly better? And how does the Tri-X version compare in Arista if it exists?

Thanks everyone!

77seriesiii
28-Jan-2010, 13:57
The arista film is cheap enough that you can learn techniques and not hit your pocket book hard. My suggestion, shoot lots of film, same film, use the same developer and get consistent/expected results. Once there or comfortable with how you are shooting, then start mixing it up. Honestly, depending on how you learn, just shoot one film, use developer, get used to how everything works and most importantly HAVE FUN!!

welcome to the asylum.

./e

ki6mf
28-Jan-2010, 14:16
What ever developer film combination you choose I would recommend not changing! If you want to shoot a new film combination you should re test and work through the process for the new film.

Robert Hughes
28-Jan-2010, 14:20
You may find the Arista film to be somewhat more susceptible to scratching than Kodak or Ilford films - which is not bad, it lets you know how much handling a film can take before it suffers in processing. As for developers, hc110 sounds as good as anything. Follow the directions and go for it!

gevalia
28-Jan-2010, 17:23
Arista Edu Ultra and HC110 is about the cheapest combo I can think of. I use thay combo for quite a while but ignoring all advise, switched developer and film. I do wish I had spent more time really getting to know the combo before I played. I used dilution H on the HC110 and was very happy.

marshallarts
28-Jan-2010, 21:37
thanks for the input and thanks gevalia for the dilution recommendation.

I was advised with tri-x 320 to shoot it as if it were 160 (1/2), over-exposing it a stop. Would this advice carry about to Arista?

It looks like arist.edu is only 100 so that would rate it at 50. Maybe a little too slow.
The Arista-II (only other option on freestyle) says it's Ortho Litho Film which forgive me but I don't know what that means and I don't see what it's ASA is?!

Maybe I should just stick with Tri-X. I will take your advice and stick to one neg/dev combo, just want it to be the right one!

David de Gruyl
28-Jan-2010, 22:15
In smaller formats, Arista Premium 400 is basically Tri-X. It does not appear to be available in 4x5.

I am not sure which film corresponds to Ultra EDU, but I am pretty sure it a quality film. As you say, however, it is ISO 100.

So, a lot depends on how you shoot. If you are shooting handheld, then I would recommend the Tri-X (or HP5+, which is slightly less expensive in a 100 box). I would also caution against switching films.

Good luck, and make sure you have the sides of the Combi-Plan facing the same way (curved side inward for film). Otherwise you will be trying to figure out why your film loading is so difficult.